• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New to pionus

Shagen

Moving in
Real Name
Sarah
Hello I recently adopted a older female bronze with great 2 days ago. Her name is Gerti. I would love to hear what you all feed your pious and what type of treats you give. My girl is a picky eater. I am trying new things with her. She loves to shredded paper and isn't much for toys so I would love some advise on some ideas to get her a bit more attractive. Thank you all for the coming advise. Here is a photo of our newest girl to our flock. FB_IMG_1502035835771.jpg

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Welcome! :)

I paste this text that I post in a thread yesterday:
I feed Harrisons and Versel Laga pellets. But, very small amounts.
I prefer to give them a varied food that contains veggies, seeds, sprouted seeds, fruit, pellets and also fresh things from the forest, like berries and smaller plants.
And they also eat rose hips every day.
They also get a lot of dandelions, herbs, wild herbs and other things I find outside. I really try to give them so natural and healthy things as possible. And I also enjoy doing that.

Rose hips and pepper.

And from the forest/outside.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:heart:

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Caitec Oven Fresh Bites (medium) pellets

Blueberries
Blackberries
Kale
Chard
Squash
Pomegranate
Apple
Broccoli
Edamame
Quinoa
Egg
Red bell pepper
Snap peas
Green beans

Try putting veggies in Avian Organic Bird Bannock bread mix and use as treats

Give a variety of types, forms, temperature and serve fresh each day. It took my adopted Charlie a year to catch on. Now he eats veggies everyday. It also took him a while to use toys and now he is beyond active with toys (more active with toys than my 5 year old old wcp whom I have had all his life) but he didnt play at first with toys...it was a process. Balsa wood and bells. Foraging toys. Fill empty egg cartons with shredded paper and treats.

Enjoy as it is a process but they appreciate your patience. She is gorgeous

Congrats and welcome

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
My BHP is also a picky eater. She loves almonds and most nuts, grapes and some other fruits including pomegranate, her Tropican pellets, red pepper, carrots, peas, sprouted chickpeas, Nutriberries. Most baked things she won't try and gets mad if I offer them to her. She actually gags/vomits if she tastes the pod from beans or peas or pineapple. :hilarious: A lot of things the other birds love, she will ignore/turn away from when I offer it and try to bite me if I hold it near her for too long. :lol:
She LOVES her showers like most pi's. She is adorable when she does her little airplane wings while showering. :xflove:

Shagen

Moving in
Real Name
Sarah
Thank you all very much. I'm super excited to try new things with her. So fair the veggie chop has been a great success. Fruits I have tried not so much. But I won't give up and get different things.
She loves to shredded paper. So today I'm going to be making her paper toys and making forge toys for her. I find it relaxing making my own things for my fids.

I would really love for her to have a whole variety of food and fun. I'm here to learn and read and give her a spoiled life.

Attachments

Shagen

Moving in
Real Name
Sarah
Went down to the market and got more yummy stuff for the birds.
I am going to try blueberries, mango and apples for Gerti tomorrow and see if she likes it.
Also picked up some lentils and quinoa as well. And of course all my normal makings for veggie chop I like to use

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Dobby gets Zupreem fruit blend pellets, Nutri Berries, and whatever we can come up with that he likes. He gets some of dinner usually and like that too.
He likes apples and walnuts, just tried and liked grapes, sometimes he likes brocoli, tomatoes, banana if he can sneak up and punch holes in them to steal the fruit, lettuce and of course any bad for him junk food if he can get it.
Nerd loved raw brocoli and peanuts but peanut it turns out was a bad thing for him so we avoid them now even though he made 31 years with us. Lurch loved walnuts, apples, carrots, potatoes, rice etc.
They usually love toys they can beat up on or make noise with like bells and safe string or rope sisal ball. They usually love showers or baths too, just run a vacuum and many will get right into shower mode.
They remind me of a feathered cat, happy to hang out by you and get scritches and maybe a treat once and a while.
Every bird is their own soul so it varies and you two will come to a understanding with time. Some can take years to let you earn their trust, some will pick you and be your friend quickly so be prepared for a long haul just in case. Once they decide your worthy you'll have a loyal friend for the rest of their life.