• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New to Greys - help needed please

missing toenails on baby grey

• Is this ok?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Non-refundable deposits?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jeepjen04

Moving in
Real Name
Jennifer
Hello,
My name is Jen and I would love some assistance from experienced Grey owners. I've had parrots for almost 30 years, but NEVER a baby and never a Grey. I've always wanted one! I put a deposit down for a baby grey and unfortunately was told he/she did not make it. The bird was only approx one week old. I had planned to get the bird at approx 7-9 weeks. The breeder offered me another baby that will be 11 weeks old but is missing two toenails. After calling my Avian vet, they told me I should ask HOW the baby lost its toenails. I did so but did not really get a definitive answer. All I was told is that they have seen it hundreds of times. The baby is still with the parents and the website says "hand fed" so I'm a little confused because I thought the breeder would be feeding and caring for the babies??? The price after the age of 5 weeks goes up $60 each week, so wonder why if the breeder doesn't take care of the baby after all??? Now I am really starting to have some regrets about whether or not I should have left a deposit. The form says "Non-Refundable and must be applied to the bird purchase above". Is this standard??? I want to go get this little baby but am concerned of whether the missing toenails will cause problems for the bird in the future with perches and stuff. Also been reading all day now and see that babies should not be taken until fully weaned, but that would not be the case here. Please help with good information regarding my situation. Any help is VERY much appreciated!!! Thank you and God bless!

EllaMay

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
I already know what breeder it is, one of the few that increases the price when weaning. Do not get the babe, I know it is hard but in the end you will not have a baby that has been handled at all, they are handfed soley by the parents and not the breeder to be handled. They are missing toes/toenails due to the parents most of the time.

Jeepjen04

Moving in
Real Name
Jennifer
I haven't asked for my deposit back yet but somehow don't think he will give it back and it's $500. He said if I don't want the baby, I can have one in December when he has more. Any suggestions???

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Any suggestions???
Please don't buy a baby. There lots of great African Greys out there just looking for an experienced long time bird owner. I'm sure you've been told and think getting a baby is the best way to go but its a myth. All babies grow up into adults. All parrots change at maturity and the adult parrot is not going to be like the baby parrot you "had". You are its parent. When it comes time to choose a mate they are looking for new blood. Not to mate with their parents. Alliances will change and things will become complicated for everyone involved.

An adult bird that chooses you will not change and be your forever friend. What you see is what you get. They are also usually much more "grateful" of being given a second chance at a good life with you.

Jeepjen04

Moving in
Real Name
Jennifer
I worried that with a grey and how they become attached to one person that getting a baby was the best bet. I should have looked in to the forums before ever leaving a deposit! I went a bought him/her a nice cage and was getting so excited that I would be getting them soon...and now all I'll probably have is this stupid non-refundable receipt and no bird in my cage.

EllaMay

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
Simply state since the baby I put my deposit on... I would request to have my deposit back since it was for that specific baby.

They do become attached I have a baby grey who is turning 10 months old tomorrow. I have no option to adopt they will not because I am too far from the two adoption places that are even remotely close to me. I tried for 5 years after Whitney my U2 passed she was 34 yrs who I had since she was 12 weeks old. :heart:

I don't regret Ella she completes me and we make each happy and laughing, as it should be.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I worried that with a grey and how they become attached to one person that getting a baby was the best bet. I should have looked in to the forums before ever leaving a deposit! I went a bought him/her a nice cage and was getting so excited that I would be getting them soon...and now all I'll probably have is this stupid non-refundable receipt and no bird in my cage.

They do attach themselves to one person...... after they are an adult. And an African Grey doesn't turn into an adult until it's 5-7 years old.

I would like to tell you this sincerely Jennifer. All you've lost is a little money. No one has been hurt. You have not lost anything because you "have" found us before this scenario unfolded. We only wish to help and we will. This is a journey you want to take. There is no rush to jump off the cliff. Stay and get to know us and us to know you and you will discover a great deal of wisdom to guide you. Start this journey the right way.

What kind of parrots have you had. Or still have?

Jeepjen04

Moving in
Real Name
Jennifer
I had a B&G that I got when he was 1 1/2. I taught him 100+ words and had him potty trained. He was a very smart boy. I had to rehome him after 9 years. I was living in an apartment and due to him sounding like an elephant when he squawked, we were told we would need to move. I was in no financial position to move because of a work related injury, therefore found him a wonderful home who still allows me to come by an visit him after 7 years now. I miss him dearly! (But not the volume of his squawk) I now have my own home and no bird. I wanted to get a grey baby that I could teach all sorts of things to. You're right though...it's only money but I am going to ask and hopefully he will do the right thing and return the money since I am on a fixed income due to that injury.

Jeepjen04

Moving in
Real Name
Jennifer
Simply state since the baby I put my deposit on... I would request to have my deposit back since it was for that specific baby.

They do become attached I have a baby grey who is turning 10 months old tomorrow. I have no option to adopt they will not because I am too far from the two adoption places that are even remotely close to me. I tried for 5 years after Whitney my U2 passed she was 34 yrs who I had since she was 12 weeks old. :heart:

I don't regret Ella she completes me and we make each happy and laughing, as it should be.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I had a B&G that I got when he was 1 1/2. I taught him 100+ words and had him potty trained. He was a very smart boy. I had to rehome him after 9 years. I was living in an apartment and due to him sounding like an elephant when he squawked, we were told we would need to move. I was in no financial position to move because of a work related injury, therefore found him a wonderful home who still allows me to come by an visit him after 7 years now. I miss him dearly! (But not the volume of his squawk) I now have my own home and no bird. I wanted to get a grey baby that I could teach all sorts of things to. You're right though...it's only money but I am going to ask and hopefully he will do the right thing and return the money since I am on a fixed income due to that injury.
There is absolutely nothing you can teach a baby bird that you can't teach an adult bird. It's not about the bird my dear. It's about the teacher. :hug8:

As a matter of fact there's no guarantee your new baby will ever utter a word. African grey or not. You find an adult bird that says a few words and you "will" be able to expand that birds vocabulary.

Last edited:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
I would try very hard to get your deposit back! The bird that you had the deposit on did not make it-END of his argument!Then You need to find a GOOD breeder if your heart is set on a baby. Meanwhile check out any rescues nearby and even Craigslist ,You might find a grey that really NEEDS you to give him a better life!:hug8:

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I agree with everyone here ..get your money back ..this breeder sounds bad ..and your baby didnt make it so he really doesnt have a leg to stand on so he should give your deposit back ...if not I know its allot of money but I would just let it go and go look at rescues or another breeder if your heart is set on a baby ...I got Tyrion my Grey from a store as a baby but my others were from rescues ...the rescues may have issues but it sounds like you have the background to deal with that plus rescues are stuffed full of Greys needing homes ...I dont think I would ever get a baby again when there are so many unwanted birds in rescues needing forever homes and it sounds like you would be great for a mature Grey looking for a soft place to land ...we are here to help no matter what you decide but I sure do hope you get your money back ...best of luck :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If you go the way of a baby grey Jean Patterson in Florida is an excellent breeder and knows this species well. She has written many articles. African Queen Aviaries

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I agree with all the others, this is a bad, bad, bad breeder! He/she is trying to make money by selling you a bird that isn't weaned and that's why the price goes up every week he has to keep the bird. I also agree that you should argue with him with all your might that you should get your money back. You put a deposit on a specific bird and that bird died...what did it die of? That in and of itself is very troubling and now he wants to sell you a bird that is missing toe nails? I can tell you how that bird lost its toenails, they were most likely bitten off by the parents. And while that will not cause any issues with the bird getting around in the future, you are still dealing with a crappy breeder and you will still bring home a bird who isn't yet weaned and will have to wean that bird on your own...something you probably don't want to do.

Try to get your money back and either find a different breeder if you really want to go with a baby or see if you can find an adult. There are adults out there who need homes and adults can be incredible birds if they pick you. I'm personally finding it a bit harder to find an adult, we're looking for a female to round off our grey famiy of four. Do what your gut tells you is the best but you should see if there are rescues around that you can visit that have greys available and maybe look on Craig's list. It never hurts and you might find the bird of your dreams in an adult who needs a home!:) Don't deal with this idiot though...he's just looking for a quick buck!