• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Tiel Owners Saying Hello

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
Hi all! My husband and I purchased our first cockatiel three days ago, and we're very excited to join a forum and learn more about giving him the best life! We named him after our 2.5 year old's favorite book, called Tikki Tikki Tembo. The main character is named Tikki Tikki Tembo No Sa Rembo Chari Bari Ruchi Pip Peri Pembo, which means "the most wonderful thing in the white one wide world." We call him Tikki. He's just over 8 weeks old and was beautifully hand raised. I do have a few questions, if you can think of any advice, please feel free to share!
1. We have been leaving a sound machine on when we leave the house and at night to prevent frights. Is this necessarily during the day, or only at dark?
2. The light in his room is dimmable and can change colors. We have been leaving it bright white all day, then dimming it and turning it red or pink at night. We leave it on very dimly at night. Is any of this beneficial to him, or are we being over the top?
3. He has not flown around our house yet as it's only been a few days. He's flown around his room, but of course is very clumsy still. At what age will he become a better flier?
4. I'm afraid of him injuring himself with clumsiness when we do finally allow him to explore the house. Other than the curtains, shut doors, etc, what can I do to help keep him from smashing into walls and such as he learns the house?

Thanks all for reading, we're really enjoying our new little friend!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. Congrats on getting your 'tiel. Are there any windows in his room so that he is getting some natural light? Leaving a dim light on at night is a good idea because 'tiels have a tendency to have night frights. Give him time to learn about your environment. Does he have a play stand that he can perch on?

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Welcome to AA. Congrats on getting your 'tiel. Are there any windows in his room so that he is getting some natural light? Leaving a dim light on at night is a good idea because 'tiels have a tendency to have night frights. Give him time to learn about your environment. Does he have a play stand that he can perch on?
I forgot to say, he also has a window in his room. His cage has a play top and is in front of a mirror. He's spent most of his time on there admiring himself. Ha ha Right now we leave the door shut to his room when he's out of the cage, but we're buying a screen door so he can still see out. We have cats and a toddler, so his house roaming will need to be supervised, and the cats will be locked outside, not that they mind that!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the forum Chelsea and Tikki :fairy2:

A dim light is a good idea. You can use a baby nightlight.

Best move the cage away from the mirror.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Welcome to the forum Chelsea and Tikki :fairy2:

A dim light is a good idea. You can use a baby nightlight.

Best move the cage away from the mirror.
Hi Zara! Should I remove the mirror from his room? Is this because he could fly into it, or something else? Thank you!!

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Welcome Aboard! I'm so glad you're here!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hi Zara! Should I remove the mirror from his room? Is this because he could fly into it, or something else?
If it is next to his cage is is not good because birds can get attached to (their own reflection in) mirrors and it can lead to undesireable behaviours.
Also, if he is learning to fly, he may fly into it.
Cover any glass; windows, doors etc
If you notice a certain object the bird crashes into, then try to move it or cover it with a towel or something soft.

Fantastic photos btw! :)

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

We have been leaving a sound machine on when we leave the house and at night to prevent frights. Is this necessarily during the day, or only at dark?
I would play the TV or radio for him during the day. In the wild, silence during the day means danger. So their natural instinct often still tells them silence is scary.
2. The light in his room is dimmable and can change colors. We have been leaving it bright white all day, then dimming it and turning it red or pink at night. We leave it on very dimly at night. Is any of this beneficial to him, or are we being over the top?
Does he have natural day light during the day? If so, I don't think a light during the day is necessary. I always put a night light on for my tiel at night since they're prone to night frights.
3. He has not flown around our house yet as it's only been a few days. He's flown around his room, but of course is very clumsy still. At what age will he become a better flier?
Yes.
4. I'm afraid of him injuring himself with clumsiness when we do finally allow him to explore the house. Other than the curtains, shut doors, etc, what can I do to help keep him from smashing into walls and such as he learns the house?
As scary as it is, they just have to learn. Keeping windows/mirrors covered can help or you can put decals on them. And ceiling fans off if you have them.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator