• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Setup! Tips?

NopeSaysMa

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Max
20240119_093058.jpg

This is my new cage setup for my 8 month old cockatiel, Pixel. (She was in a mid size desktop cage for around 5 months.) But now I could afford to upgrade!
(Don't mind the sewing machine- it's got no thread or needle and is being used as a weight to keep her cover on at night- I took it off right after taking the pic)
Anyway if you could tell me what's wrong and/or right about this setup i would really appreciate it! My girl moved in yesterday and has already explored most of the cage, but her favorite spot is up front beside her natural foraging toy.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd suggest getting rid of the dowel rod perch & replace it with a natural wood perch. I can't tell if there is a swing, but if not add one. Also a few foot toys. Otherwise it looks good.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I agree it looks good. :) My suggestion would be to try different kinds of soft woods and textures next time you go toy shopping. Like balsa, sola, mahogany pods and corn husks. I find you have better luck find those in small independent shops or toy makers. Sometimes I find commercial made products very limiting thou there some good ones.

SunnySandi

Walking the driveway
I have that exact cage! I love the set up! For mine I opted to change the trough style food/water for metal bowls and I swapped the rails that the litter tray and grate sit on so there is direct access to the puppy pad (it fits, just snug) but my tiel doesn’t tear up the pad. But now I don’t have to clean the grate and the litter tray, just the tray.

As a recommendation, I learned the hard way they can learn to push the door open if not always latched ;)

I was using the dowel perches for awhile (and still among other options), but I did wrap all of my dowels in coban (vet wrap), it doesn’t affect cleaning and is easier on her feet. It sticks to itself, comes in multiple colors and isn’t very expensive (most drug stores/walmarts have it).

NopeSaysMa

Real Name
Max
I'd suggest getting rid of the dowel rod perch & replace it with a natural wood perch. I can't tell if there is a swing, but if not add one. Also a few foot toys. Otherwise it looks good.
The natural wood perches are definitely on my list next time I hit up a local bird place. (If they don't have them I might make my own.)
Her swing isn't currently in there but I'll put it back once I clean it. What sort of foot toys are you referring to?

NopeSaysMa

Real Name
Max
I have that exact cage! I love the set up! For mine I opted to change the trough style food/water for metal bowls and I swapped the rails that the litter tray and grate sit on so there is direct access to the puppy pad (it fits, just snug) but my tiel doesn’t tear up the pad. But now I don’t have to clean the grate and the litter tray, just the tray.

As a recommendation, I learned the hard way they can learn to push the door open if not always latched ;)

I was using the dowel perches for awhile (and still among other options), but I did wrap all of my dowels in coban (vet wrap), it doesn’t affect cleaning and is easier on her feet. It sticks to itself, comes in multiple colors and isn’t very expensive (most drug stores/walmarts have it).
That idea about swapping the grate and the tray is so smart I have to try that!

Aestatis

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Might want to put some perches by the water/seed cups or wrap them in vet wrap depending on how nice the plastic is. Just keep an eye on him. If he keeps lifting up a foot and grooming it while he is trying to eat it might hurt to perch on.

Definitely observe what toys your guys gravitates towards, but give it some time if he is shy. Some tiels prefer softer things like paper while others bring out their inner cockatoo are happy to chew harder things like skewers, Popsicle sticks, or toothpicks.

For other toy options, try getting some with finger traps that have the crinkled paper (also called firecracker sticks here: https://www.chewy.com/super-bird-cr...I2xhOu86LBD_RUQooGmxdPb7NdOF0sjUaAvJ_EALw_wcB) Some toys have them incorporated, or you can buy the sticks separately like in the link.

My newest tiel loves them so much she destroys huge toys within a week or two.

Jxdeeyy

Strolling the yard
Lovely sized cage! The toy up front definitely looks good.

Personally, I would move the y-shaped perch at the bottom a bit higher, maybe swap it with the rope perch? Natural perches are definitely the best so is a good way to encourage them to use them the most (if she tends to stay on the top half more). I read above that you plan to get more natural perches and that’s great.

I have recently bought my birds a natural cork perch and they go absolutely crazy for it, it works as a 2 in 1 perch/toy as they can shred it, and it has lots of variety for their feet. The greater the range of textures and sizes of perches, the better. Just a note to keep an eye on the rope perch and make sure she is not ingesting any fibres (it doesn’t look frayed or anything from what I can see which is good :) )

Some more shredding toys would be good to add, my birds love balsa, bird kabobs, natural cork, shredded paper, mahogany pods etc. My birds love foraging toys so any variety of those are great. And they also absolutely love their swings, so that could be something to consider.

My only other advice would be to make use of the back corners too, to give her as much use of the space as possible. Adding some branchy perches (such as Java perches) may be a good idea with some toys next to them so she can stand there and play. I try and keep the edges of the cage quite busy, and the middle a little less so that they can stretch their wings and fly between perches from one side of the cage to the other.

sb sigmund

Strolling the yard
As someone said already I would remove the dowel and put more natural wood perches in. Love the flat perch with veggies on top

TulsiVana

Meeting neighbors

does your bird walk down on the puppy pad/tray? My Conure usually shies away from being on the bottom of her house (we have this same set up) but I leave the grate in there so she can walk down there when she wants and sometimes does. Is it healthy for her to walk among the puppy pad? If so, I think this is a fabulous idea and will try that- it was just a concern I am wondering about?

SunnySandi

Walking the driveway
does your bird walk down on the puppy pad/tray? My Conure usually shies away from being on the bottom of her house (we have this same set up) but I leave the grate in there so she can walk down there when she wants and sometimes does. Is it healthy for her to walk among the puppy pad? If so, I think this is a fabulous idea and will try that- it was just a concern I am wondering about?
She does but not frequently, and since it’s moisture wicking, any droppings there becomes dry very quickly. The pad is also changed about every other day, so I’m not really concerned with her stepping on her droppings any more than perches or anything else she’s on between cleanings. In my case, my tiel bathes frequently to keep clean frequently as well.

Shilohbird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Shiloh
View attachment 441144

This is my new cage setup for my 8 month old cockatiel, Pixel. (She was in a mid size desktop cage for around 5 months.) But now I could afford to upgrade!
(Don't mind the sewing machine- it's got no thread or needle and is being used as a weight to keep her cover on at night- I took it off right after taking the pic)
Anyway if you could tell me what's wrong and/or right about this setup i would really appreciate it! My girl moved in yesterday and has already explored most of the cage, but her favorite spot is up front beside her natural foraging toy.
looks good but i'd recommend replacing the dowels with all natural wood and getting stainless steel or ceramic bowls if possible, they have less of a chance of developing mold