• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New senegal

Farzad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Farzad
Hello,
I Have added a baby senegal about 10-12 weeks to our flock or 2 gcc, 1 neophema, 1 cockatiel
The senegal is semi weaned but accepts formula easily...
What thing should i done so that he/she can fit in perfectly?
Please give me your advice about it also i shall mention, he is not eating food beside the formula i give him and his poop is watery...
Is he stressed?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats on getting the Senegal. If he is eating only the formula then he is not semi weaned. How often do you feed him? How much? Can you contact the breeder? What are you providing him with besides formula? Millet, cheerios, and small pellets are good starter foods. Was the breeder feeding him anything besides formula?
Do you have any prior handfeeding experience? Are you weighing him daily?
Senegals usually wean at @12 wks of age give or take.

Also, if he is new to your bird family he should have been quarantined from the other birds.

Farzad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Farzad
Congrats on getting the Senegal. If he is eating only the formula then he is not semi weaned. How often do you feed him? How much? Can you contact the breeder? What are you providing him with besides formula? Millet, cheerios, and small pellets are good starter foods. Was the breeder feeding him anything besides formula?
Do you have any prior handfeeding experience? Are you weighing him daily?
Senegals usually wean at @12 wks of age give or take.

Also, if he is new to your bird family he should have been quarantined from the other birds.
I Am not new to handfeeding birds, i am well experienced with parrots
He is getting 2 x 12cc of zupreem formula
According to his foot ring, he is 16 weeks but he does not seem 16 he seems much more younger
I Have quarantined him too.
He can eat pellets and seeds but he ia not eating any he is kinda shy, kinda stressed

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He is VERY cute. Sounds like you recently got him so he could be stressed as you noted and scared. New environment, new objects, new people. Since he can eat seeds and pellets are you continuing to offer him the same seeds and pellets as the breeder? Offer him some cooked veggies and also some millet.
Have you been weighing him daily?

Farzad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Farzad
Here is a photo
He is VERY cute. Sounds like you recently got him so he could be stressed as you noted and scared. New environment, new objects, new people. Since he can eat seeds and pellets are you continuing to offer him the same seeds and pellets as the breeder? Offer him some cooked veggies and also some millet.
Have you been weighing him daily?
My scale is not available now it is being used for weighing a gcc which had parasites and we are treating her so we have to monitor her weight daily to see if she gains weight
That gcc is my mother-in-law's but i will have my scale back in few days
After that i will start weighing senegal
And i am feeding him with same pellets

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry about the sick gcc. When you get the scale back be sure to disinfect it.
Keep us updated on the baby.