• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Rescue I'm Fostering

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoluccanZoey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather
This is Katie, an Umbrella Cockatoo who was surrendered to Macaw and Cockatoo Rescue of NM. The family lives closer to me than to Anna however, so I drove to go pick her up. (Quite the interesting drive I must say!). Anyway- she's about 25 years old, was a former breeder bird- who's mate died about 15 years ago. This family then took her in, and tried to make a pet out of her. The husband is the "bird person" in the family, but Katie was deathly afraid of him, even after more than 10 years with them. She really took to the wife, but she doesn't really care for birds. Even after all this time, she would throw herself to the bottom of the cage and thrash around when the husband would come into the room. She would however let the wife touch her and give her treats.
They seemed to be a very caring couple- who loved Katie a great deal. She had a very nice cage, however it would have been better suited for a conure- being about 18x24 inches. And her perches were all PVC. She only had one plastic toy on a chain. And her food was wild bird seed from Walmart. They were just unable to do much with an untamed cockatoo, and didn't have the proper education on what the do's and don't of parrot care are.
Her nails were very misshappen, I'm thinking from the PVC perches. They look overgrown, but they weren't actually all that long. Happily she has now been to the vet and all her nails are now trimmed and I think she's feeling much better. Her beak is in pretty good shape. She is a feather plucker, which is part of the reason her family re-homed her; they could tell she was unhappy. In her new 36x48 cage, she's enjoying her new toys! She especially loves the pinata! She's liking her new pellets and fresh fruit and veggies too- she hasn't tried the mash I just put in, but we'll see. She looks better after her bath too.

After 3 days she will now let me touch her when I put my hand in the cage. She doesn't come to me, but doesn't pull away- she will lower her head for me to give her scritches. She's very cautious, but seems VERY sweet! When I had to towel her at her old home, she didn't try to bite at all, and she was very good at the vet's office too. She's getting braver in her new cage, and starting to explore and get tougher with those toys! A really nice girl! I'm looking forward to working with her.

The pictures that follow are: first the picture of her that was on CL. Second, a picture of her nails. (Sorry it is alittle overexposed, I used a flash and it washed it out). Third, a picture today of Katie with her toys in her new cage.

Attachments

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor little girl,Im glad that you where able to take her in,good luck with her.

FoxersArtist

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anna
Hi there Katie. Nice to see your face and welcome to the flock! Thanks a bunch Heather for going out of your way to bring this little one into a safe situation - it sounded like there were some adventures to be had during the journey! In many cases, owners are extremely well meaning but may just have no idea that their way may not be what's best for the bird. There is a lot of conflicting information out there about the care of caged birds. Some folks who have had birds for many decades usually have a different perspective on how to care for them (smaller cage, all seed diet, etc.) because that is what was being practiced when they first started to investigate a parrot as a companion. I am grateful at least that Katie's cage was likely safe, even if much too small, and the fact that it was newer shows some comittment on the owners behalf. I am very grateful that they were kindhearted enough to relinquish the bird instead of trying to sell her at a high price. It takes a good hearted person to do that - or someone who is just unusually despirate, HaHa! It does look like Katie has some deformity to her nails - they should not have such a sharp downward angle to them, likely the reason that one of the nails (though not very long) has already curled around to touch her toe. Other than that, she looks to be in fair health. What did the vet say? I am curious to see what our vet says about her when she comes down to the rescue for her exam. We have had a pretty major influx of requests for birds in need of relinquishing. It's going to be a busy summer!
-Anna

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Good luck! It is great that you were able to help this bird!

Matt

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Aaaawwww... what a wonderful thing to do.... she has moved into her palace!!!!!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Good luck my dear and bless your heart

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Awww, she sounds like a real sweetheart. I'm so glad you are taking the time to work with her! :)

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Katie is a true beauty :) Thank you for taking her in... I'm sure she will flourish with your TLC...

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
God Bless you and Katie.

Ginger

tyger9791

Meeting neighbors
Awesome! So great for you to take her in. Lately I've been seeing a lot of U2's up for rehome on CL. I got Dominic off CL, and my boss just took in a U2 as well because the owner does not have the time for him anymore. It seems to be the story all around...no more time and money is tight....Thank you for taking her in, she is adorable! And it's amazing to watch them flourish, learn to play, start to talk and slowly trust in you. I love Dom to death, even though he has his grumpy days....but I figure after the 8 yrs of hell he had been thru he is entitled to a bad day or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.