• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New person here!

Mallie

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Hello! I am new to the forum and wanted to get some info on hawk head breeders in Canada.

First some info about me! I live with my husband and 2 dobermans. I have loved birds ever since I was little. I had budgies as a young girl and knew one day I would get a larger parrot. The first time I saw a Hawk Headed Parrot was in a pet store (can you believe it!?). I wanted to stay and talk to that bird all day. I was only a teenager at the time and could not have afforded such a bird.

I have volunteered at Friends of the Aviary in Hamilton Ontario and I am very confidant with parrots. I have also fostered a Double Yellow-Headed Amazon.

The dogs will not be a problem with the parrot. They are incredibly gentle and got along great with the Amazon I looked after. If anything, they may have to be wary of the Hawk Head Parrot… if I am lucky enough to find one.

I have done a ton of reading on this parrot and will give him/her everything they need and more. I know they are the kind of bird that will test you. I have no problem setting rules and boundaries. I do not have children (besides the dogs lol) so my new baby will have all of my attention.

I know there are a few members on this forum with Hawk Heads that live in Canada. I have contacted a few breeders in Ontario and am waiting to hear back from them. I realize there will more than likely be a waiting list for this little guy.

If anyone has a breeder they can recommend that would be fabulous. I am willing to travel. I have emailed the 3 breeders in Ontario listed on parrotplace.ca. I may also email the one in Alberta if I do not hear anything back from the ones I emailed.

Rachel

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:welave:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA.

Mallie

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Thanks guys! Hopefully someone with a Hawk Head can help me out. :)

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Where abouts in Ontario are you? Are you specifically looking for a baby? The only breeder I know of who still breeds hawkheads is in Quebec, and maybe one in B.C. There's one in Ontario, but I would steer clear of her -- very shady. I see adult birds on kijiji sometimes. I got Target as a rehome a couple of years ago.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:welcomesign:

I got Loki as an adult so I am not to sure on breeders but I love her and she has been a great addition to my home ...hope you have luck finding a baby :)

Mallie

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I live in Cambridge. I am not against traveling to pick one up. I would also love to take in an older bird. I have looked a few times on kijiji for that reason. I never have any luck.

JoseinBB, do you know the breeders email or info? I would love to contact them.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome

Mallie

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
@JosienBB Sorry to be a bother. Do you have any info on the HH breeder in BC or Quebec?
I have been watching kijiji on and off for 2 years with no luck of adopting an older bird. :(

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@JosienBB Sorry to be a bother. Do you have any info on the HH breeder in BC or Quebec?
I have been watching kijiji on and off for 2 years with no luck of adopting an older bird. :(
Oisellerie PLB Aviary: Poponnière -- Quebec

I can't remember the name of the aviary in B.C., sorry.

I saw an adult bird near Barrie, ON, one in B.C. (both last year), and one in Alberta only a few months ago. Don't give up :) Also, I saw a 3-year-old at a local PJ's Pet Centre half a year ago.

Mallie

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Awesome! Thank you! I will try and look more often on kijiji. :)