• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Parrotlet.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
Hi. I am a new member with my first time Parrotlet. His name is Kye and he is a Blue Pacific Parrotlet. I’ve only had him three weeks and he is thieving. He was weaned to pellets and on a little seeds and in terrific health when I purchased him. I have introduced him to veggies and fruits and he has taken well to both. I recently read that mutation Parrotlets should not be on pellets because it is thought that some mutants develope kidney issues. I’ve read nothing definite one way or the other and hate to change his diet needlessly since he is doing so well. Any feedback would be appreciated.

CheckeredTail

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tsushi
I haven't heard that personally, a well balanced pellet with supplemented fresh foods is pretty much the best diet. If he's in good shape, then you shouldn't try to change things. But if you're concerned I would keep an eye on his droppings, the color and consistency is helpful to keep a lookout for kidney issues. Though watching their droppings is always good for keeping your birds healthy, their poop is a great early indication of something going wrong. Just remember to keep in mind that yes, when they've had something watery, the poop is more watery, and if they have a colorful fruit etc, it can dye the color of the poop. Don't panic right away haha always consider what they're eating and how that might affect it.

GracefulWolf

Meeting neighbors
Misinformation that was spread a long time ago. Pellets don't affect color mutations differently than the natural color. Besides, all pacific parrotlet colors except for green are color mutations.

Pellets supplemented with veggies, fruits, and a bit of seed is perfect. The more veggies the better. The only times you'll have an issue with pellets is if you have a low quality brand or feed only pellets with nothing else. Then you might have kidney issues. But the same is true for seed. If you feed nothing but seed, then they will get fatty liver disease.

Here's a research study where they looked to find how seed vs pellets affects them. They found that less than 10% seed in their diet was the healthiest.
Nutritional levels of diets fed to captive Amazon parrots: does mixing seed, produce, and pellets provide a healthy diet? - Free Online Library

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome!

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
Misinformation that was spread a long time ago. Pellets don't affect color mutations differently than the natural color. Besides, all pacific parrotlet colors except for green are color mutations.

Pellets supplemented with veggies, fruits, and a bit of seed is perfect. The more veggies the better. The only times you'll have an issue with pellets is if you have a low quality brand or feed only pellets with nothing else. Then you might have kidney issues. But the same is true for seed. If you feed nothing but seed, then they will get fatty liver disease.

Here's a research study where they looked to find how seed vs pellets affects them. They found that less than 10% seed in their diet was the healthiest.
Nutritional levels of diets fed to captive Amazon parrots: does mixing seed, produce, and pellets provide a healthy diet? - Free Online Library
Thank you so much for your message. You have no idea how much better I am feeling. The person who sold me my little guy weans her babies to pellets with very little seeds. She also started putting pieces of carrots into their tank at an early age. This little guy has been doing so well and in three weeks in eating peas, corn, Lima beans, string beans, broccoli, sweet potatoe, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, and apples. He gets veggies three days a week twice a day and fruits twice a week twice a day. Pellets are always in his cage and seeds get feed by hand usually in the evening. I am always introducing him to new fresh and cooked veggies and fresh fruits. He’s a good eater so you can imagine my scare at the thought of kidney trouble and having to change his diet. Thank you so much for setting my mind at ease.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Kye is very cute!

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
I haven't heard that personally, a well balanced pellet with supplemented fresh foods is pretty much the best diet. If he's in good shape, then you shouldn't try to change things. But if you're concerned I would keep an eye on his droppings, the color and consistency is helpful to keep a lookout for kidney issues. Though watching their droppings is always good for keeping your birds healthy, their poop is a great early indication of something going wrong. Just remember to keep in mind that yes, when they've had something watery, the poop is more watery, and if they have a colorful fruit etc, it can dye the color of the poop. Don't panic right away haha always consider what they're eating and how that might affect it.
Thank you for your reply. I watch his droppings carefully every day. The person who sold this little guy to me showed me what to look for in the three pieces of his droppings. She also showed me how to check for weight loss or gain without having to use a scale. He was already weaned to pellets and pecking at raw carrots when I purchased him and is doing very well on all the fresh/cooked veggies and fruits I’ve introduced him to so far. I am so happy that I do not have to worry about changing anything. He is adjusting so well to his new surroundings and I’d hate to upset the Apple cart. Thank you again for helping to set my mind at ease.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary

Thank you for the web site. I found it very helpful. Feeling tons better.