• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Parrot Jesses

Status
Not open for further replies.

paperdragon

Rollerblading along the road
For the record, I don't support parrot jesses or bungee jumping :p

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Last edited by paperdragon; Today at 03:14 PM. Reason: removed silly joke that would probably irritate pro-jesses people

LOL, it came in my inbox for my e-mail..:lol:

JackDele

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Adele
But, we can bungee jump safely.
Injuries that occur despite safety measures generally relate to the abrupt rise in upper body intravascular pressure during bungee cord recoil. Eyesight damage is the most frequently reported complication.[SUP][23][/SUP][SUP][24][/SUP][SUP][25][/SUP][SUP][26][/SUP][SUP][27][/SUP][SUP][28][/SUP][SUP][29][/SUP] Impaired eyesight secondary to retinal haemorrhage may be transient [SUP][27][/SUP] or take several weeks to resolve.[SUP][25][/SUP] In one case, a 26 year old woman's eyesight was still impaired after 7 months.[SUP][26][/SUP] Whiplash injuries may occur as the jumper is jolted on the bungee cord and in at least one case, this has led to quadriplegia secondary to a broken neck. More recently, carotid artery dissection leading to a type of stroke after bungee jumping has also been described.[SUP][31][/SUP] All of these injuries have occurred in fit and healthy people in their twenties and thirties. Bungee jumping has also been shown to increase stress and decrease immune function.[SUP][32][/SUP]
Hmm... definitely a valid point :p

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
"Our legs are built to support a large amount of weight, run and jump and sustain impacts "

From the book "Your Inner Fish" A Journey into the 3.5 Billion Year History of the Human Body:

“Hurt your knee and you will most certainly injure one or more of three structures: the medial meniscus, the medial colateral ligament, or the anterior crucient ligament. So regular are injuries to these three parts of your knee that these three structures are known among doctors as the “Unhappy Triad.” They are clear evidence of the pitfalls of having an inner fish. Fish do not walk on two legs. “

“Nowhere is this history more visble than in the detours, twists, and turns of our arteries, nerves, and veins. “

“Our deep history was spent, at different times, in ancient oceans, small streams, and savannahs, not office buildings, ski slopes, or tennis courts. This disconnect between our past and our human present means that our bodies fall apart in predictable ways."(I’d imagine bungee jumping would be in the category of skiing and tennis when it comes to knee stress).

Meaning that everything about us has constantly been tweaked (rewired, added to) for a different purpose over our history and just like a Volkswagen Beetle cannot be re-rigged to be a functional race car (and has serious limitations in trying), so too our bodies suffer from trying to be what we were not originally designed for.

But, we can bungee jump safely. Parrots have strong legs that support their own weight in climbing the forest canopy like monkees. The new jesses are not chains, go around both legs, and are designed with their anatomy in mind.

This is halarious.

Sorry, are you implying there hasn't been hundreds of years since we lived in swamps/the ocean? And that natural selection hasn't played a part too change what our bodies are designed for and capable of? Much less the fact it is OUR choice what we do with them, vs forcing a bird too wear an absurd piece of junk on its leg?

Do tell me about how a species never adapts over lengths of time with change of situation and needs,
and how we must now be the way we were from the dawn of time, as different traits haven't become more favorable.

Considering people have concerns about the weight of a standard harness on their bird, especially small ones, I'd also LOVE too know how metal clips amongst other junk on those things, isn't too heavy?

Since you're saying we're partially aquatic, that would mean we're designed too swim as birds are too fly.
SO, why don't you go put on some nice ankle weights, and try and go for a 100m swim and tell me how much fun you found it too be?

Even more hilarious; you rely on ONE source, as your entire backing up of an argument? Now, now; that's horrendously flawed.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

“and just like a Volkswagen Beetle cannot be re-rigged to be a functional race car (and has serious limitations in trying)

You must have missed some great flicks!:cool1:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
Vampstorso, I was responding to a specific quote by someone who made a statement about what our legs are “designed” for. In addition to the fact that our design is always changing, the point was that the medical profession is well aware of our physical weaknesses (knees in this case, and other ailments) traceable if we go back in our evolutionary history. Even aside from any unusual physical exertion, there are problems we face in our everyday lives. I posted “one” source as a reference, for anyone who wants to go past a forum thread (or Wikipedia) and read up on a subject. It's something I do in my posts. Yes, of course this subject is much more involved and is evidenced by different sciences. Also, I did not say “hundreds” of years. Re-read my post….it’s millions.

“Much less the fact it is OUR choice what we do with them”

If you mean that it’s our choice what we do with our bodies that might cause harm then this is very debatable in many circumstances and even wrong in others. For one, I doubt that many would chose diabetes, obesity, heart disease and stroke - all promoted by the modern human lifestyle. As much of our behavior, sleep, even diet is dictated by society. It could be argued whether someone who has to pay the bills by sitting at a desk all day, getting stressed out, driving a truck, or heavy lifting for example and then experiencing adverse physical effects (varicose veins, hemorrhoids, hernia, etc. for example) is choosing to do so. Those conditions are directly related to our past design coming back to haunt us in our modern world, even in simple everyday activities. Because many of our internal systems originally appeared in animals that behaved and were designed for a different purpose and then rearranged in us. Of course there are many examples and sources for this. I cannot rewrite them all here or possibly give the insight this vast subject deserves. Only touch upon it.

It’s your personal choice to dislike parrot leg jesses. But, like it or not, parrots readily got into that “absurd piece of junk” (leg chains) without fuss years ago. They behaved as if nothing were there. This is a direct contrast to the constant fussing parrots do while wearing a harness (if they can even be gotten into one). Which, BTW interferes with their preening instinct as I posted earlier…..

As far as the harness (also applies to flight suits, bird diapers)…….

“Instinct tells birds that any type of foreign substance on their feathers can affect insulation, water proofing or the appearance they need to maintain to attract a mate and survive. Imperfections or abnormalities are not tolerated; birds will make every attempt to remove them. They groom their mates, too, which is why our pet birds are always helping themselves to our hair pins and earrings. We've got something "wrong" with us and they just want to help!”

By James Harris– the owner and medical director of the Mayfair Veterinary Clinic in Sandy Bay, Tasmania, Australia.

The above quote is something I’d take into consideration when it comes to the harness. That is that generally birds don’t like things that mess up their feathers (or even anything "on them" whatsoever). I’ve seen baby chickens preen themselves like pros before they’ve properly learned how to eat. That tells me how instinctive (therefore important because it’s not left to learning) maintaining perfect plumage is for birds. Also, whenever I see a bird in one, usually that bird either looks stoic, like it’s simply tolerating (or habituated to) the harness or is incessantly fussing with it. I think too many people inadvertently stress their birds out and don’t realize it. That, in turn, is not a bird that’s enjoying the outdoors or being out and about. It then defeats the purpose imo. I've also heard many people report that the habituation of a bird to a harness wears off if not kept up. To me, these things are birds "speaking" to us.

Last edited:

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
Vampstorso, I was responding to a specific quote by someone who made a statement about what our legs are “designed” for. In addition to the fact that our desing is always changing, the point was that the medical profession is well aware of our physical weaknesses (knees in this case, and other ailments) traceable if we go back in our evolutionary history. Even aside from any unusual physical exertion, these are problems we face in our everyday lives. I posted “one” source as a reference, for anyone who wants to go past a forum thread (or Wikipedia) and read up on a subject. It's something I do in my posts. Yes, of course this subject is much more involved and is evidenced by different sciences. Also, I did not say “hundreds” of years. Re-read my post….it’s millions.

“Much less the fact it is OUR choice what we do with them”

If you mean that it’s our choice what we do with our bodies that might cause harm then this is very debatable in many circumstances and even wrong in others. For one, I doubt that many would chose diabetes, obesity, heart disease and stroke - all promoted by the modern human lifestyle. As much of our behavior, sleep, even diet is dictated by society. It could be argued whether someone who has to pay the bills by sitting at a desk all day, getting stressed out, driving a truck, or heavy lifting for example and then experiencing adverse physical effects (varicose veins, hemorrhoids, hernia, etc. for example) is choosing to do so. Those conditions are directly related to our past design coming back to haunt us in our modern world, even in simple everyday activities. Because many of our internal systems originally appeared in animals that behaved and were designed for a different purpose and then rearranged in us. Of course there are many examples and sources for this. I cannot rewrite them all here.

It’s your personal choice to dislike parrot leg jesses. But, like it or not, parrots readily got into that “absurd piece of junk” (leg chains) without fuss years ago. They behaved as if nothing were there. This is a direct contrast to the constant fussing parrots do while wearing a harness (if they can even be gotten into one). Which, BTW interferes with their preening instinct as I posted earlier…..

As far as the harness (also applies to flight suits, bird diapers)…….

“Instinct tells birds that any type of foreign substance on their feathers can affect insulation, water proofing or the appearance they need to maintain to attract a mate and survive. Imperfections or abnormalities are not tolerated; birds will make every attempt to remove them. They groom their mates, too, which is why our pet birds are always helping themselves to our hair pins and earrings. We've got something "wrong" with us and they just want to help!”

By James Harris– the owner and medical director of the Mayfair Veterinary Clinic in Sandy Bay, Tasmania, Australia.

The above quote is something I’d take into consideration when it comes to the harness. That is that generally birds don’t like things that mess up their feathers (or even anything "on them" whatsoever). I’ve seen baby chickens preen themselves like pros before they’ve properly learned how to eat. That tells me how instinctive (therefore important because it’s not left to learning) maintaining perfect plumage is for birds. Also, whenever I see a bird in one, usually that bird either looks stoic, like it’s simply tolerating (or habituated to) the harness or is incessantly fussing with it. I think too many people inadvertently stress their birds out and don’t realize it. That, in turn, is not a bird that’s enjoying the outdoors or being out and about. It then defeats the purpose imo.

All I take out of this post (which is not a bad thing, btw), and the thread as a whole, is that;

a. Harnesses are bad because they affect the natural instinct of the bird to preen. Not good.
b. Leg chains are bad because they affect the natural ability of a bird to freely move it's feet. Not good.

Birds, and in fact every living organism, should not be physically restrained by their anatomy. It is not something that should be forced upon anyone.

Outdoor exercise areas (cages/aviaries) are the way forward IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.