• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

New parakeet. And hes constipated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaximotheMacaw

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicolette
Hi guys,
I just got a new parakeet yesturday. He seemed fine at the place I got him. But this morning he was constipated! I cleaned him up and now I am really worried! Please help me. Is there anything I can do/give him. Before I decide to take him to the vets as its an hour away and its storming like crazy here in Texas. Please tell me I can give him something and hell be alright.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Nicole,

How can you tell he's constipated? Is he eating and drinking? Is he straining to poo? Could you have a hen that is egg bound? Can you call your vet and ask him what to do. I know standing them in warm water above the vent area helps relax the muscles when a hen needs to pass an egg, I don't know if it would help for constipation.

Ginger

MaximotheMacaw

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicolette
I can tell because their was a dropping stuck in his area. He is a boy as he has a purplish blue cere. After I cleaned him he seems to poop good now. But I am not sure if the constipation will act up again. He hasn't eaten since I got him which was yesterday. I was thinking maybe its because hes in a new home thats why he hasn't eaten but I am not to sure. I will try and call the vet. Thank you Ginger.

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi, your new bird may be dehydrated or not eating. It would be best for your bird to be seen by an avian vet. Here is a link to online information. Constipation

Keep up posted

lzver

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Laura
Nicolette, its not unusual that he hasn't eaten since you brought him home yesterday. It can be pretty stressful on them.

I would at least put a call in to your vet and talk to them about it. They might be able to give some suggestions and then tell you about other things you should be watching out for.

I hope he'll be alright.

MaximotheMacaw

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicolette
Thanks guys! Do you have any tips on how I can get him to drink? I was going to try and weave wet lettuce through the bars. I hope that helps a bit.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Is he tame? My guys will take drops from my finger sometimes.

Ginger

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Do you know if the bird was trained to drink from a water bottle or bowl? You can use a pipette and put one drop at a time in the birds lower beak. Do not squirt water down the birds throat!

MaximotheMacaw

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicolette
I have both a water bottle and bowl in the cage. I think he was on a bowl. And he wasn't tame when I got him but he will let me hold him and pet him. But somtimes hell fly away. Ill see if I have a pipette. Thanks again!

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Just to clarify... where are the droppings stuck? Sometimes droppings will get stuck near tail feathers and they are passing just find, only the feathers are a little long. That's not an issue at all, just cosmetic :) If, however, they are stuck to the actual vent, that's when it's a problem.

MaximotheMacaw

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicolette
In the actual vent. But I got him to drink some water. So I am hoping that will help a bit. He drank some water from my finger and a sip from his bowl.

MaximotheMacaw

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicolette
It happened again. I cleaned it off he was eating some millet which is good. I dryed him. He preened a little now hes puffed up on the perch taking a nap. I read somewhere that I should feed him oliveoil. Is this ture? Should I do this?

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Do not feed feed the bird olive oil. You can mix with food some food but not on it's own. Sometimes birds can't tell what oil is and take in down the wrong way.

If it were on of mine I would use the herb slippery elm for digestive problems. It works very well for constipation, loose stools and vomiting. The powder needs to be mixed (1 part powder) to (4 parts water). There are many good articles on the net about the herb. I have used it many times..........

Send me a PM if you have questions.

gary

Status
Not open for further replies.