• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

new owner, please help!!

tasha1986

Moving in
Real Name
tasha dawson
hi, i have had my sun conure mango for nearly a week now. she is extremely clingy with me but doesnt like anyone else including my kids, she bites if anyone else goes near her, im trying to stop her doing this but its not easy. before me she was with an elderly lady and im wondering if thats why. she loves spending time with me, she will even snuggle up to my neck for a sleep. while writing this im also trying to eat a pot noodle and i say trying because she keeps climbing up my arm to try and eat it, obv im not letting her. ive tried to distract her with sunflower seeds but shes more interested in mine. is it best to put her away when im eating?? also what should i do to stop her biting other people, obv i want her to bond with me as im disabled and shes my (distraction from the pain) companion?? i think our bond is quite good for only 5 days but i want other people to be to feed, water, clean her out when im unable to get out of bed. thank you for any advice

Attachments

Fritzgerald16

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
5 days isn't a very long time to have a bird, especially if she was living with only one person before. Give her time to adjust, this can be a few weeks or a few months.
If you are eating something healthy ifor birds it is your call on if you want her eating with you or not. My boy gets fed only in his cage and that also helps motivate him to go back when I want him to, going to cage nicely = food and treats in food bowl.
Let her adjust and give her some time to get used to the increased noise and people, she's probably overwhelmed with the situation and you are her "safe person" :)
Eventually you can try having others get her out of the cage using treats to coax her onto them.
She looks very healthy and is beautiful!

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
I have a play gym on wheels that I move into the dining room. When I'm eating, I'll usually put some fresh veggies/fruit, 1-2 nutriberries, and a short sprig of millet, around the stand so my Quaker can do some simple foraging but be in the same room as me. If I'm eating something she can have, I usually have that a little bite for her, too :xflove:

kitsunebandit

Avenue Veteran
She's a very new bird and I would be looking at longer for her to settle in

My advice would be to ask other people to give her treats and spend more time talking to her etc. so she learns to enjoy everybody. It will take time but it can be done. I would put her away while you are eating and give her one of her favourite foods so she still sees it as a positive time. I would be cautious that she may start screaming if she watches you eating without having anything nice for herself

I also believe that you have a jenday conure, not a sun conure! Still just as beautiful but definitely a different species :D

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
You have some great advice so far! Give her some more time :) she may not be use to all the new changes and usually I give them 1-2 weeks just to do what they want and then slowly start introducing people. Like have one of your kids come sit near the cage and work on homework or something like that. Just slowly get her use to different people. She'll come around!

I also believe you have a Jenday as well :) Both are gorgeous and very similar jendays just keep the green over the backs :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats on getting Mango. As others have posted she hasn't been with you that long and she is adjusting to a new environment with new people. Patience is the key.

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
You have a beautiful Jenday Conure, not a Sun Conure. I can never eat with my birds, as they are always convinced that the piece of food on my fork, headed for my mouth is the tastiest morsel and that is the piece they must eat. It's just not worth it. So I never eat in front of my birds. The only way I'd do it is if they are in their cage with a tasty snack of their own. Even so, that really never happens.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
You might try giving your bird a treat, then in full view, give another treat to a friend to give to the bird. Hopefully this will help build trust between you, the bird, and the friend who helps out. I don't share my meals with the birds. My other half is Cuban so we have a lot of meals that are Latin in origin. There can sometimes be a lot of onion, or maybe avocado, and I don't want to birds thinking food from my plate is for them. You might try eating out of view, so they aren't tempted to help themselves if you turn your back.