• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

new member to the flock

analliecat

Walking the driveway
Real Name
allie
hello!!! today i picked up a new bird and i’m very excited. a very nice woman had to rehome her african grey due to health issues and i was able to give him a home and i’m very nervous hahah. i just hope he likes it here.

a little background: his name is arthur and he is a cag. he is eight years old. he was with his first owner for three years until her death. he spent five years with the woman (and her husband) until she was forced to downsize her flock. it was almost a four hour drive to get there and i know he must be stressed from all the traveling i just put him in his cage (went right to sleep!). something i did notice, he doesn’t fly. he is not clipped but he doesn’t fly and his owner said that they’ve never seen him fly (and due to her health problems she’s home all the time). he will be seeing a vet next week but i just thought that was strange.

he hasn’t spoken much yet (although i’ve been told he’s quite the chatter box) but i walked by his cage with my conure and he said “little bird, gentle” and he says “oooo” anytime you present him with food. sorry for the rambling, i’m just very excited to have him in my home.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Welcome to AA. Give Arthur a chance to adjust to new home sometimes it takes a few days to several weeks. What is his diet like?

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's so exciting! I'm glad you were able to give this sweet boy a home.
My CAG Rafi never flew either, but she was never allowed out of her cage as a youth, and never learnt to fly. Maybe Arthur doesn't know how yet? They get around pretty well climbing and walking, but you can teach him to fly with target training if you want to. :)

He sounds like a right charmer. Don't worry if he doesn't talk much right away, all of my chatty birds took a while to get comfortable in their new space before they started talking in earnest.
Welcome to your new family and to AA, Arthur! :starshower:

analliecat

Walking the driveway
Real Name
allie
Welcome to AA. Give Arthur a chance to adjust to new home sometimes it takes a few days to several weeks. What is his diet like?
he’s eating zupreem seed mix so i’ll be slowly transitioning him from that to goldenfeast goldn'obles. but he ate lots of fresh fruits and veggies and has favourites.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Congratulations on getting Arthur! :cheer: I’m glad you can give him a loving, forever home. Greys are such special birds.:heart:

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Welcome to the avenue! :gbh:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats. Thank you for taking Arthur into your home.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
he doesn’t fly. he is not clipped but he doesn’t fly and his owner said that they’ve never seen him fly (and due to her health problems she’s home all the time). he will be seeing a vet next week but i just thought that was strange.
Not flying can be dealt with more easily than most think. Tell the AV! The doc may have some great ideas regarding exercise and a special diet for him.
Soon enough you'll know yourself whether he's a climber, a walker, etc. He'll have an area of the cage he prefers (Check where he poops most.) then put his food on the opposite side (Make sure there's a way there!) Put his water closer to where he hangs out.

Mine is a climber, so her perches and her toy were placed to allow and encourage movement. Don't overwhelm him too fast though.

Unfortunately, birds that don't fly take longer to bond with you. This is a perfect time to practice patience and respect.

:cheer::bounce4::cheer:
CONGRATULATIONS!!!​

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman