• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Lovebird Owner Advice

Danny425

Meeting neighbors
Hi! I had recently adopted two peach faced lovebirds. Both are male and are brothers. The older one is named Kiwi & the younger one is named Chico. Kiwi was born around March 28 & Chico was born around April 8th. When i got them they came with a small wooden nesting box which is their safe spot. The person i got them from kept the box in their cage with them so I chose to do that too. They love to be in there and that's mostly where they sleep & hide. However I was doing some extra research and I read a forum that said I should take out the nesting box. I understand it's too discourage breeding bahavior, but both my birds are male so would it still matter? I'm not sure I would like some advice. They're still pretty young so for right now i'm keeping them with their box inside their cage to comfort them. Any help will be nice :)

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
I have two male Lovebirds (brothers from the same clutch). They get along famously.........and they have a coconut that they love to sleep in and go in and out of everyday. My birds are almost a year old now. I understand all of the thinking regarding male/female pairs NOT having a nest box so they don't get territorial and aggressive over eggs and nests. However, being both male..........I don't see why I can't keep it. They absolutely love it and are in and out of it all day.........I think I'm just going to see what happens and NOT remove it. I don't use the Happy Huts or anything that has fuzz.........these coconuts are hollow and hard and there is nothing that can harm them. Mine start out sleeping on a perch at night and then move into the coconut at some point because by morning they are always inside the coconut.

Danny425

Meeting neighbors
Oh okay thanks! Good to know that they are other people out there with my same situation. I didn't think it would hurt either, its natural for them. I just needed some reassurance. Trying to keep them as happy & as safe as I can.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats on your new birds! I fostered a lovebird for awhile and he came to me with a nest box. That's where he (we think he was a 'he') liked to sleep. Since he was active during the day and didn't spend any time in the box but to sleep, I figured it was okay and let him keep it. But I only had the lovie for about a month before he was adopted. So I don't know if the nest box would have eventually become an issue or not.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
If they're both males and both just sleep in there, it should be alright. My baby boy has a little thing he sleeps in. Just be careful about huts, things like happy huts and snuggle huts are far more dangerous.

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
Danny......if those are you birds in your picture, their coloring is beautiful, Like Sherbet ice cream.

Danny425

Meeting neighbors
Yes my boys are really colorful! Makes me wanna eat them up haha

And thank you everyone for your input :)