• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New-ish Quaker

Name for 5 year old male quaker

• Total voters

SMini13

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Samantha Nicole
Hi all !
I'm am new to the Quaker world, I have recently rescued a 5yo male Quaker.
I already have a 9 month old Yellow sided GCC.
I'm at a loss for a name, I was thinking Otis but I don't think the name is very fitting for him.
He is still very skittish of hands.
He will step up tho and is flighted.
He is very gentle and a good eater.. any suggestions for a new mom??
They both have their own separate cages but can see each other on both their play tops!
My GCC dosent seem really interested in him yet but at the rescue he loved the other birds .. I'm assuming this may change with time!
I was also thinking of clipping him because my other parrot is clipped, just thinking of safety.
Any suggestions for food, socializing, and name ideas would be greatly appreciated!!
Will attach a few pictures !

Attachments

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Congrats on your new addition!

He looks like a Charlie to me.

I'll let some people who are owned by Quakers give you some ideas.... @fidsmom , @SandraK ...

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He's a cutie! What about Dexter or Felix?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
He is a real cutie! Can you tell us more about his personality? Personally, I wouldn't clip him, but that's my opinion. My Quakers sometimes get depressed when their wings have been clipped.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
SO cute :)

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
He is adorable. Since he is 5, does he have a name already?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats on getting your Quaker.

SMini13

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Samantha Nicole
He is a real cutie! Can you tell us more about his personality? Personally, I wouldn't clip him, but that's my opinion. My Quakers sometimes get depressed when their wings have been clipped.
Thank you !!
Well he is the quiet observer of the two of my fids, he is still very skittish of my hands but will kindly step up when asked.
Very cheeky already and tries to steal my GCC's cage all the time haha
Likes to sit in the pet carrier when we go for rides to get his nails done and to the vet.. oh and he is missing 2 toes , the rescue said he came in that way ❤❤

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
If he's an observer, you'd better prepare yourself. It sounds like he might be one of the mechanically inclined ones who will figure out how to get out of his cage and open things for others. If you only have a gcc as well it won't be too bad but imagine coming home to find that a fid has not only got out of her own cage but politely opened the other 4 cages so that everyone has had free rein of the house while you were at work. Try him with some shoelaces or straws and see what he does. I'm thinking Maestro (Spanish for teacher).

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I ended up putting plexiglass sheets or the softer carpet runner on the tops of my cages to prevent toe attacks from inside the cages. Both gccs and Quakers have a bad habit of nipping any toes they find inside their cages.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Don't know why but he looks more like an Oliver than an Otis to me.

fidsmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Congrats on your new addition Your Quaker is so cute ! As for names, There is so many different names, to choose from. I named mine Precious, Bailey, Jake ( changed his name from Barcardi, former owners named him that !)Daffy( I kept her name , from previous owner, as she suits it well) Sweetpea, Bubba and Squirt. I like easy names, that all my birds can say easily. I see alot of Quaker owners, seem to name their Quakers KIiwi , Maybe go by his personality, there is also a name Lucky, as he is lucky you adopted him.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I'm at a loss for a name, I was thinking Otis but I don't think the name is very fitting for him.
I prefer unique names myself. Names like "Kiwi", "Charlie", "Smokey", "Sunshine" or "Sunny" annoy the heck out of me! Yes, I have a Charlie! But he was named Charlie for 12 years of his life and he knows how to say it! I've even had a couple of birds named Sunshine and Kiwi! Again, birds that came with their names, or one that was given a temporary name. I usually keep a bird's previous name, but there have been some that I have changed or didn't know what they were called. (my little rant!)

Since Amelia is an English name, I'd kind of think maybe sticking to that theme? Such as Arron? Aden? Beau? Malachai?

If you like common names though... then by all means, go for it! :)

Petcha

He is still very skittish of hands.
Move slow and try to figure out his favorite treats so whenever you walk by, you can drop one in his cage.

I was also thinking of clipping him because my other parrot is clipped, just thinking of safety.
You'll have to "define" safety... because clipping them could potentially be dangerous, too.

Some things to consider...
Should you clip your parrot
Thinking on the Wing | The Parrot University, llc
Ethical, Moral and Spiritual Considerations of Companion Parrot Care (a long read... but I found it interesting the observations noted by the breeder in regards to allowing her chicks flight vs clipping them at a young age)

Any suggestions for food, socializing, and name ideas would be greatly appreciated!!
Positive Reinforcement Training
Applied Behavior Analytics
ABC's of Behavior

A lot of information in this thread! :)
Free Training Resources | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

As far as food goes... well, a pellet based diet would be recommended along with plenty of fresh vegetables with some fruit.