• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Home Construction

KrisNPenelope

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kristina
Looking for some tips or advice,

I'm a first-time conure owner and while I've had her for almost 4 years I'm still learning. With that said we're in the process of building a home that should be finished sometime in December. In the house I am in currently I have never done any home renovations since getting Penelope since I never had a safe place to bring her will things aired out.

So now I'm going from never doing anything to everything in the house will be new. I tried my best to pick no to low VOC options for the paint, flooring, cabinets, and figure I'll burn in the new fireplace place, run the new stove, and heating a couple of times to burn off any factory oils before we move Penelope in. I'm lucky enough to where we planning on moving into the house in stages so I can air out the house a good amount of time before moving Penelope in last.

Has anyone moved into a brand new home with their parrots? What steps did you take to make sure everything was aired out and off-gassed enough and how long should I wait to bring her? Any tips, experience, advice would be greatly appreciated!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I have no offering of advice except self cleaning ovens and use the first time. Keep your bird in a room away from the kitchen. As long as paint is dry there will be no issue.

Good luck on the new house!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
When we built our special addition designed for birds with 0 voc paint etc we aired it out for a month before I moved them in.

KrisNPenelope

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kristina
I’m trying to keep track of when everything gets installed, painted, etc so that I know it’s been airing out awhile even as the home is being finished. But I was thinking of waiting at least a month after closing on the house before I would bring her.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
@Love My Zons off topic, but I see your from holly springs ! I am too!
Small world! Been here 12 years now and we are on the Harris Lake side of town. Where are you building?

This place is crazy, can't stand the growth in this area. Well we are local to you, that's cool!

KrisNPenelope

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kristina
@Love My Zons I moved here almost 4 years ago. I’m right in the area of Harris Teeter and Walmart. The growth here has been insane, so we’re heading out to the outskirts of Mebane and got some acres so my horses can move to the new house/farm too.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
@Love My Zons I moved here almost 4 years ago. I’m right in the area of Harris Teeter and Walmart. The growth here has been insane, so we’re heading out to the outskirts of Mebane and got some acres so my horses can move to the new house/farm too.
Sounds really nice! You are maybe 5 miles from me now. I agree, it's looking alot nicer out towards Chatham and Orange county. This areas explosive growth is not what I am liking!

I've seen the boom and influx and its ruining the town. Sad to see so many wooded areas and large subdivisions starting.

We'll on a good note, it increases my property value!! Maybe we can meet up someday before you head towards your new home.

We may eventually build a new home too on some more land. We have over an acre, but I would love more.

Sometimes the thought of going back to South FL comes to mind too. In less then 9 years to see where we are after this house is paid off, if we stay and build a new house or go.

Time will tell ;)

KrisNPenelope

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kristina
Sounds really nice! You are maybe 5 miles from me now. I agree, it's looking alot nicer out towards Chatham and Orange county. This areas explosive growth is not what I am liking!

I've seen the boom and influx and its ruining the town. Sad to see so many wooded areas and large subdivisions starting.

We'll on a good note, it increases my property value!! Maybe we can meet up someday before you head towards your new home.
@Love My Zons That would be fun if we could meet up before I move!