• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

new here :D

AndrewCaiquey

Moving in
Real Name
Andrew
hello guys! I’ve recently became the proud parent of a beautiful Yellow Thighed Caique! I’ve wanted a parrot for some time and always wanted an African Grey but upon a lot of research I decided a caique would probably be more suited for me (yes I am even read the ‘ugly’ parts about them) but anyway, I had visited my local shop and INSTANTLY fell in love with thee cutest guy ever and after three weeks I bit the bullet and got him.

I find myself here now though as Kiwi has a bald spot on his head.. like it’s very small and only in one place - Kiwi has not displayed any sign of stress since I’ve had them, nor has he plucked like at all. I’ve changed his papers daily and not found any feathers - well I found one single feather which was a small fluffy one which I guess has came from pruning.

Kiwi had the bald spot since I first seen him in the shop and the owner of the place said that the breeder said it was just a small patch that needed to grow in. He seems 100% in form etc but I’m just hoping to get some reassurance that it isn’t a problem, like he hasn’t been scratching at it or anything and it doesn’t seem to annoy him.

Anyway I’ll try add some photos into this if I can figure it out. Thanksssss!!

945B300C-A83C-4574-80F4-338B39731EF2.jpeg 75EE2A18-788D-4028-82C1-AACACAFB9144.jpeg 038A7396-DA5B-4015-BCDF-CFCD2962FEBC.jpeg 74ED2292-FBDA-4818-8DC2-A1AE2F3490F7.jpeg 945B300C-A83C-4574-80F4-338B39731EF2.jpeg 75EE2A18-788D-4028-82C1-AACACAFB9144.jpeg

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
:welave:

Kiwi is gorgeous! To me it looks like his parents may have plucked him when he was still in the nest.

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Congrats on your new guy!! I think all is fine and it should grow back!

Welcome to the site!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

You look like one very proud owned person of one absolutely adorable baby!! Congratulations on your new family member:)

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue Andrew! :starshower1:

I agree with everyone else, it looks like another bird over preened him. However, it is important when bringing home a new bird to take them to the vet to register them and have a check up. If you haven´t been yet, bring it up in the appointment and get your vet to take a closer look :)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and Kiwi! :)
I agree with everyone else, it looks like another bird over preened him. However, it is important when bringing home a new bird to take them to the vet to register them and have a check up. If you haven´t been yet, bring it up in the appointment and get your vet to take a closer look :)
....totally agree...a wellness check is always in order when a new birdie comes home...;)

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to you and Kiwi!

I agree with the others - feather loss in that location is more likely to be due to another bird plucking or barbering him. I also recommend finding a good avian vet in your area and taking him there for a check-up. An initial check-up helps establish a baseline for Kiwi, checks if there are any problems, and it's much better to find a vet you feel comfortable taking Kiwi to now rather than when it's an emergency. An initial vet visit is also your opportunity to vet the vet: what's the vet like, do they seem knowledgeable about birds, do they see birds regularly, how do they handle Kiwi, what's the practice like to get to and so on. You do not want to be frantically trying to find a vet in an emergency!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
:hello::welave:

Great advice has already been given. The only thing I'd like to add is one thing. You are aware that your piercing will become a target of his interest?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
The only thing I'd like to add is one thing. You are aware that your piercing will become a target of his interest?
:lol: yes a nice shiny ball toy to play with! He´ll have it unscrewed before you even realise he´s on it :D

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Welcome to you and beautiful Kiwi
:welave:

Caiques are such fun, gorgeous birbs!

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Welcome to AA! Your caique is absolutely gorgeous I hope you enjoy your time here.

AndrewCaiquey

Moving in
Real Name
Andrew
Thank you for the replies! He’s a Kiwi is a wee cutie for sure! He’s currently trying to get at my piercings as I type this, dreading the day he manages to catch one - probably should take them out before I get hurt lol.

His wee bald patch is well still bald, he’s been getting super affectionate with me as of lately just looking loads of scratches and cuddling into me, think he’s starting to come out of his shell just amazing so he is

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Welcome Aboard! I'm so glad you're here Andrew!!!

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Real Name
Ann
Welcome to The Avenue.