• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Fid/Foster

Status
Not open for further replies.

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
Ugh. Just ugh. Sometimes I find the worst things about people. I got a call before going into work tonight to see a coworker I nearly never see around. She'd called because she heard I had an interest in birds. I said yeah and told her we had the budgies and Piper. She went off on this tangent about how her daughter had brought home a bird and all it did was scream and scream. That it was smelly and mean. They had to keep him covered almost all day to make him shut up and that that they had to nearly pin him down to clip his wings because he'd always bite you. Actually she said 'it' the entire time as she ranted and wanted to know if we wanted it because if not she was taking it to the humane society in the morning or in her exact words "I'm just opening the •••• cage and letting it go, it's warm out". She said she had a cockatoo and just wanted to give him away if I"d take him.

Soo yeah horrified I agreed I'd stop by her house on my way into work, I figured if it was a 'too I could see about finding a rescue in Ohio or at least hold onto him/her a few days while I found one instead of having him tossed into a shelter or set free. She meant cockaTIEL not cockatoo. I was horrified. I seriously almost smacked her and even though I intended to not make any choices, I just couldn't walk away.

He was the prettiest grey tiel with bright orange cheeks and stuck in an AQUARIUM with a mesh lid on it. He had ONE perch, a big blue wheel and the entire bottom of his cage was filled with old corn cob bedding that had seen FAR better days. No toys, all seeds in his cup, the water was just...ugh. He thankfully hadn't started plucking but the moment she came in he started screaming and she actually went to smack the side of the aquarium. O.O I stopped her and kind of talked to him a little and went to open the cage when she told me that I couldn't since he would bite and hiss. He was a really mean bird and it was all her daughters fault for wanting the stupid thing.

Well I told her I'd take him, but I didn't want OR need the aquarium. There was no way I was leaving this guy in there. They'd only had him four months and apparently had never handled him since they got him. He was bought from petland and apparently was handfed and raised. They apparently told her that cockatiels were virtually silent and didn't need huge cages and since they had them in aquarium type things she thought it'd be fine. She didn't buy him toys because "He just destroys them so he obviously doesn't want them". And the seed diet turned out to be hamster food of all things since they had a hamster and it was easier to just buy the same food for both.

She went to find a large box since I didn't have a carrier on me and I got out a bit of millet and started talking to him. I tried slipping a perch in to see if he'd step up so I didn't freak him out more and he just stepped right onto it quiet as could be. The woman came back and he started this high pitched whistling and his crest went up so to hell with being polite I took the box and asked her leave. I put some shredded paper down and got him in the box where he calmed down and brought him home.

I got Piper's old cage and did some shuffling around with the budgies so I could put him in the spare room away from the other birds and settle him in. i set up some toys and mixed some seeds into Zureem pellets, some fresh fruits, some millet worked into a toy and a whole thing of nice clean water. I got him out carefully since from what she said he'd gotten into some habits. he kind of turned his head and stared at me before staring at the perch and then climbed onto my hand. He puffed himself entirely up and bent his head down to rub his crest against my thumb so I could rub it. He doesn't have a mean bone in his body.

I got him settled, confessed to m'lady what I'd done and had to go to work. She said that he's been screaming a bit, and he did give me a hard nip when i moved too fast, but he's not anything like what the woman portrayed him as. He seems to really want to bite if you get near his cage, but he steps up fine on a perch and once out all he wants is his head rubbed and to snuggle against your neck. Hell m'lady had a hard time putting him to bed since he kept giving plaintive little calls for her. I'm just..horrified she left him like that. His tail tip is all rubbed off from not having enough room to move around in, his feet have places where feces have got all on them, he's in fantastic condition considering how he was kept.

He's got a vet appointment in the AM and I'm not sure he'll be ours or not. Right now I just wanted him OUT of that situation. Until then we'll be taking care of him and I'll be getting him a bigger cage in the morning when I get off work. I just...UGH...I don't think I can ever be civil to this woman again. Ever.

To end on a cheerful update m'lady said he looks like an overly dignified penguin when he puffs up and decided his name shall be Admiral Sigmund Fluffington since he didn't come with a name. Siggy for short. Sigmund is a stuffed penguin in a book series we read by the way.

Ugh now back to work. What a freaking day!

Last edited:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I made a thread recently about noise level of smaller birds, and this is a perfect example — cage covered all the time because the bird screams. :sad8:

They are definitely not bird people, obviously! It is a very sad case, and people like this make me disgusted to be a human being. Glad you got him out of there though.. I am sure he will warm up to you quickly, most do with new, and much better owners who are patient and willing to give the bird a better life. :hug8:

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
I'm pretty sure it's a him. I'll put up some pictures later but he looks like your Miska but with a bright yellow ace and vivid orange cheek patches which from what I read normally indicate male. But we'll see what the vet says when he gets his check up. I'm really hoping there's nothing wrong with him. :( He already seems rather friendly, I have suspicions it was mostly the mother that was the problem. Someone had to have been handling him given how he behaved when we got him home. Poor little guy.

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Awww, bless you for getting him out of there!

Some people!:mad:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That poor baby,thank god you got him out of there.

jennluna

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenn
Poor baby. I just don't understand people. :(

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
Neither do I. :( How could you see an animal in a 20 gallon tank day in and day out and NOT want to do something. That people can turn a blind eye like that is just...insane.

PeaceLoveDreamer

Real Name
Jacqui
It's great that you saved the little guy. That must have just been an awful experience. Good luck with him calming down and hope everything goes well with the vet :)

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Thank you so much for taking this guy! Please post pics soon and let us know how training goes.

Onyxena

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Morgan
Great job, helping this guy or girl out! How sad that some people cannot be bothered to even TRY to learn to take proper care of their pets! What ignorance. I hope he does well with you, I am sure he will, now that he has a healthy safe environment. Best wishes!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
good job on getting that poor little guy out of there..love his new name now KEEP HIM.. :hehe: poor baby...bet your feelings for the coworker just went down about a gazillion percent

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
I think we may keep him. I'm not sure, we just got Piper and the budgies, so if we find a wonderful home for him he may go there. I just wanted him OUT of that horrible situation. Especially as he's not got a mean bone in his body.

I came home and apparently m'lady opened the door to put in some fresh food and he hissed a bit so she left it open and sat down to watch tv on her lap top so he'd have company. After about twenty minutes he wandered out and promptly snuggled up under her hair and started preening. I'm not sure WHERE this lady got he was mean! I came home and he stepped up for me nice as could be. He's getting ready to go to the vets here in a few. My vet is awesome, he had a cancel for this morning and said to bring him in. I think he may have some feet issues, but other then that he seems healthy. Hopefully his feet haven't suffered too much. :(

I got some shots while he was perched on my girlfriends hand. It was tough since he keeps wanting his crest rubbed so he bends over to rub her hand and makes little pleading sounds. Ignore messy room. ;) That's our office space so it gets craptacular sometimes when gaming and relaxation abound. Wish us luck at the vets! I hope there's nothing severely wrong with him. >.< Thank god I don't see this coworker more then once every few months or I would be tempted to lose my job just to give her more then a little piece of my mind!!

Attachments

Toadstinytails

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Betsy
Aww, good for you! Let us know how the vet appointment goes!

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
He is just adorable! That is definitely a boy! He has the bright yellow head with orange cheek patches just like my Squeeky. Thank you for helping this little guy. Sounds like he really needed to get out of his past home. I really hope you decide to keep him but either way he will be out of the situation he was in before. Good luck on the vet visit and let us know how it goes.

Quest

Real Name
Judy
Good for you! He looks sweet. Bless you
for taking him.:hug8:

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
:omg: he is soo handsome.. :heart: Thank you sooooo much for taking this little one in.. He surely was living in a nightmare at his old home.. Gee whiz living in a aquarium, poor little guy.. :( Please let us know what happens at the vets office.. We are all routing for both of you.. :) Sending over many prayers that everything goes well at the vets office.. :hug8: :hug8:

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
Bless you for saving him :hug8:

And I cannot express how much I LOVE his name. Absolutely adorable!!!

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's such a handsome boy,and I really like his name.

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
What a cute fluffmeister he is! Thank you so much for getting him out of that awful situation. :hug8:

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
Well we're back from the vet. Poor Sigmund has a mild case of bumblefoot with a slight infection just along the underside of one foot from the double whammy of a bad perch and standing in his own waste. The good news is it's not severe and it's being treated. :) Antibiotics yay! So relieved it didn't have a severe infection involved. He's also malnourished at 68g so he's going to be fed up to get him up to weight. The vet gave me a mash mix to feed him as well as suggestions for oatmeal, eggs and a few other things. He'll be getting weighed daily and charted. Other then that he seems very healthy. They're going to run a few blood tests just to be sure.

Poor little guy, he was scared. he just huddled in my hands and hissed a few times before hiding in my hands again. But he was a brave boy. He's in his cage now with a good oatmeal mash and seems to me loving it. The vet says he estimates he's under a year old. I wish I knew where he came from beside petland. Someone had to have loved him at some point, he just seems to crave attention and love. He likes me, but he seems to ADORE my girlfriend. Or rather he loves hiding and preening her hair.

Status
Not open for further replies.