• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New English budgies are here !

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
They're all so pretty!
Especially loving the looks on Scruffles ( :xflove: ) and Elvis over here :)

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
What is the average age? Are they paired get, I guess not. This is exciting to me so I know you must be beyond excitement. I paid $125. each for M and M. You could call your last pretty female Britt.

Most of them are this years chicks, so around 6 months old.
Elvis is 2 years old.

I did get a bonded pair, Barney and Robin. They were very flirty with each other in the aviary, so I got them both so they wouldn’t have to be separated. They are almost a year old (hatched in Feb this year).

He told me to put them into a breeding cage as soon as they are done quarantine. He starts pairing them up when they are about 8 months old, along with every other EB breeder that I’ve read about or talked to. I’m not sure how I feel about it though...

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Thanks for the interesting information on your lovely budgies. Good luck with them all.

Bonkers

Hit the Road
Real Name
Bonk's Adventure

$50 is a really good price!! That’s a small fraction of what these new ones cost.

This breeder imports birds once a year, from Germany or Switzerland or Australia. (In fact he just shipped a dozen birds TO Australia last week.). It can cost up to $3000 per bird to have them imported. Yikes!! This cost includes shipping, paperwork, vet checks at the boarder and a minimum 30 day quarantine. It’s all a little too crazy for my taste, I’ll just let him do all the hard work with imports.
Wow!!!!!!!

I look forward to getting another English. My first thought was, "Wow, he is big!" I named him Big Bird lol. Green, yellow with black markings looks so majestic on a big English Budgie. And the guy told me, "Yeah, he's an English. He is actually kind of small for an English" - $50, and I met him at a Sheetz in PA and got home between 1AM and 3AM that morning, I forget. A couple of weeks later, I gifted a friend 5 parakeets and he was one of them. As far as I know, he is having a great time, living free-flight in a house.

I would like to go back there and get another, he breeds out in PA somewhere around York, I forget the road right in the middle of PA where that is but somewhere in Central PA that's about a three hour's drive, maybe two, again, I forget, but he sometimes puts ad on Craigslist for one. Church guy. I have his number somewhere and if all else failed I could look it up on Craigslist to see if .. Oh wait, it may be in my old phone too.

And Big Bird was a great birdie! :D

PoukieBear (my bird Cookie looks a LOT like the one in your avatar too,) how are the new guys coming along? :)

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Wow @PoukieBear Michelle, they are all spectacular! I think I'm in love with all of them, and of course Elvis stole my heart for sure. That beautiful plumage! So good to hear that they are settling in fine.

Bonkers

Hit the Road
Real Name
Bonk's Adventure

Thanks! The little one in my avatar is one of my Fallows.

The new birds are settling in just fine. They eat like pigs and are super chill.
"Blue Baby" a.k.a. Boom Boom, his adult feathers are starting to grow in and he looks like a peacock. Very pretty dark blue little bird. Happy he made it. I don't think he ever has a moment when he is awake that he isn't foraging. (This the "seed-a-holic." The big cage is coming soon, Frenchy is his friend and he seems happy. Just seems to like the seeds more than anything. He is growing up.. maybe he'll eat the pellets. I really don't know. Maybe he eats them already. But he spends his free time foraging for food... )

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They are all beautiful.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Super chill - thats EB for you.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Meet ELVIS !
Parents imported from Germany

I knew nothing about English Bugies until I joined this site. Now I can't get enough of looking at photos of these cute birds. Now is it the photo or do their feathers swerve in the front like his are doing?

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
I knew nothing about English Bugies until I joined this site. Now I can't get enough of looking at photos of these cute birds. Now is it the photo or do their feathers swerve in the front like his are doing?

Normally they don’t swerve like this, but his feathers are extremely long and big (which is the main goal for breeding exhibition show budgies). He likes to rub his chest on perches, so his feathers end up swished to the side....which reminded me of Elvis’ hair. Hence the name.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
@PoukieBear - I was going to ask if his feathers were actually longer than normal... now I know. This might be a dumb question... do you ever mix the English lines with the regulars?

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
@PoukieBear - I was going to ask if his feathers were actually longer than normal... now I know. This might be a dumb question... do you ever mix the English lines with the regulars?

You technically could, but it’s not recommended. That would diminish the size of the birds, the size of feathers, the directional feathers, the softness of feathers....

Sylvester

Hit the Road
You technically could, but it’s not recommended. That would diminish the size of the birds, the size of feathers, the directional feathers, the softness of feathers....
You mentioned size. How much bigger is a English budgie compared to an American one?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I would say twice the size.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Murphy is a good size EB . Vet visit 3 months age he weighed 54 gm and Mickey was 46. I would say a tiel is a little larger.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Murphy is a good size EB . Vet visit 3 months age he weighed 54 gm and Mickey was 46. I would say a tiel is a little larger.
Still the size difference must have been startling. Have you ever had American Budgies, LJ?

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
The top pic reminds me of a monster in a Bugs Bunny Cartoon. Hard to remember, but I think it was in a mad scientist's lab... That difference is amazing!