• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New English budgies are here !

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
After being around EB for many years when I go into a pet store, which is rare, the American budgies look so tiny to me.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So cute! (Any bird named Elvis is going to be trouble. ;))

Bonkers

Hit the Road
Real Name
Bonk's Adventure
This guy doesn't have a name yet. I can't wait to see those pin feathers open all up.
His grandparents were imported from Germany

Poukiebear, this looks very very similar to Big Bird only slight differences in that Big Bird had more black markings and slightly more yellow but. Cute!!

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
@Lady Jane - I read an article recently about the size of American budgies. They are now quite a bit smaller than their Australian counterparts. I think from having a closed gene pool, although I would think with proper pedigree management, that could have been avoided.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
As you well know the gene pool of US budgies has been expanded to include just about every mutation possible, thus interfering with genetics. I love the green color of the wild Aussie budgies and hope it never changes.

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
As you well know the gene pool of US budgies has been expanded to include just about every mutation possible, thus interfering with genetics. I love the green color of the wild Aussie budgies and hope it never changes.

Same here in Canada, A lot of people (including the breeder that I got these guys from) regularly import birds from Germany, Switzerland, England and Australia. This gives the genepool a much wider variety and hopefully less issues.

On English budgies, I also prefer the regular green and regular blue, and spangles. I don't really care much for the pied mutation on the EB's, it just doesn't look right and the size is smaller than it should be. That's why you don't really see a lot of them.

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
That is a big difference between and English and an American Budgie. I was going to ask what the difference was but now I know and I can say I learned something.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
They are so stunning. I predict you’ll be sorry you named Scruffles that, once he matures. :D

You can come down here with Robin in your pocket. Or maybe you ship. I’m determined to have EB ‘someday’ which better be sooner rather than later now that I have heart problems lol.

There are no show quality breeders down here, not that I can find. ;maybe further north. There is one breeder with decent EB for $100 each,, hand tamed.

I’m in awe, and hope you’ll share more photos.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You can always get in touch with M&M's breeder in NJ. He may still be selling. I can give you name and phone number if you like. He ships many of his budgies so he is used to that and can answer just about any budgie questions. See PM.