• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New conure owner here.

lilbird.77

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Victoria
I have a 4 year old green cheek Conure I adopted a couple weeks ago. We have some biting problems but seems like we are on the way to bonding. The last couple days when she's been out of her enclosure I've noticed a new behavior! Just want to make sure I'm safe with this and it's just a cute way she feels close to me. But I'm afraid it might be mating behavior. She preens my face/ hair and then does this. What do you think? Sunshine new behavior

Rebel

Sprinting down the street
I have a 4 year old green cheek Conure I adopted a couple weeks ago. We have some biting problems but seems like we are on the way to bonding. The last couple days when she's been out of her enclosure I've noticed a new behavior! Just want to make sure I'm safe with this and it's just a cute way she feels close to me. But I'm afraid it might be mating behavior. She preens my face/ hair and then does this. What do you think? Sunshine new behavior
My boy cockatiel has always done that to me. In other words, its not mating behavior with mine. He wont let me scratch his head but he loves doing that.

Elizabeth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Usually you'll see them either stick their bottoms in the air (girls) or hump things (boys). However, rubbing like this can be hormonal, and in the spring with hormones running high, you might be best off discouraging the behavior.

The best advice I can offer for a biting problem with GCCs is to learn not to fear it. A macaw bite will always scare me, and it should, as they can bite off a finger. However, a green cheek can only do so much damage, and when bender bites me I physically remove his beak, although I'm careful to be gentle. Once you aren't afraid, you call their bluff. It's not as scary for you, and they bite less.

lilbird.77

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Victoria
Usually you'll see them either stick their bottoms in the air (girls) or hump things (boys). However, rubbing like this can be hormonal, and in the spring with hormones running high, you might be best off discouraging the behavior.

The best advice I can offer for a biting problem with GCCs is to learn not to fear it. A macaw bite will always scare me, and it should, as they can bite off a finger. However, a green cheek can only do so much damage, and when bender bites me I physically remove his beak, although I'm careful to be gentle. Once you aren't afraid, you call their bluff. It's not as scary for you, and they bite less.
Thanks so much! I’ll try to redirect her the next time it happens. :)

Elizabeth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Sometimes the other thing you can do is interrupt their line of sight.

When bender decides to bite he focuses in on his target and sees nothing else.

If I put a magazine (or even hand) in front of him, the line of sight is broken and it’s over.

For example, if bender is in my lap and something makes him mad, he runs up to bite my lip.

If I put my hand in front of him mid-scuttle, he stops, gets confused for a moment, then starts preening himself or my cuticles!

All birds are very visual so sometimes changing or interrupting the line of site is all you need