• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

new comer here and needs advise

mjsmith3406

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Mike
Hello everybody, I am new to this sight. I have a 5 or 6 year old female cockatiel. I got her when she was a year old, from a friend who no longer could keep her. Since the day I got her she has hated everybody, and will attack them except myself and her old owner. She will especially attack kids. I do know that my buddies kids always messed with her when she did not want to be out. She has had a good home here with me, and still will not let anybody near her but me. Is there any hope that she can be turned around and stop biting everybody?

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Hi, Mike. Welcome to the forum!
I am new myself and have been enjoying being a part of this community.
There are many people who can lend some advice, so you have come to the right place.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
welcome to AA, Mike. I have some questions for you.
what do you feed her?
what time does she get up and go to bed?
does she have routine during the day?
is she covered at night?
has she seen a vet?
birds like having routine such as feeding, watering, getting up in the morning, going to bed. birds also need 12 hours of sleep nightly and some times females need more. I have 2 cockatiels, a male Bebe, who is the most unforgiving, biting little soul I have ever met. he has drawn blood more then once since he came to live with me. my little girl is Sweet Pea and she prefers to be with me 24/7, love everybody and is cuddle bug. JMHO, there maybe some abuse in your bird's past and you and her will have to work thru those days with lots of patience.

mjsmith3406

Real Name
Mike
Kiki is a very picky eater. She loves millet, seed, and these treats I get her. I can not remember what there called but they are suppose to be rich in vitamins. She usually goes to bed at 10 when I do. Tonight is an exception, because I am working on a project for work. No I do not cover her cage and I also have to leave a small light on for her because she has really bad night-tares. I have taken her to a vet once, sad story. She was by a window that was open, my landlord was spraying all the trailers with hornet spray and she got sick. I got her help and she is still here. Her routine is to yell at me for leaving for work. I come home and she is yelling for me then. When I come through the door she is out of the cage whenever she wants and if I am not busy she is on my shoulder. That does bring up a question, why does she have night-tares? She almost broke her wing one night because of one. It did heal so you know.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I would start by slowly increasing her nighttime sleep until you reach 12 hours of uninterrupted sleep in a fairly dark room every night. A tired bird is a very cranky, on edge bird. That means no loud noises, etc. Night frights are frequently caused by flashing lights at night, like headlights from a car or a flashlight shinning in the dark. They can also be caused by other things, like unusual noises. Make sure the window coverings block out car lights.

Your bird is most likely biting because she is scared of people. It's sad that she was teased by kids when she was in her cage. Does your bird fly to others and bite them? What is the situation when your bird bites? Are the people she bites trying to force themselves on her?

If you need to have your bird interact with someone in particular, I would start with having them just sit in the room with her. The person should only sit as close as is comfortable for Kiki. This might be clear across the room. He or she can slowly move closer over the course of several days, but if the bird ever seems uncomfortable, then the person is too close. Your goal is to get the person next to your birds cage. Sitting by her cage and reading to her will help Kiki get used to the person. Then maybe the person can put treats in your birds food cup. Eventually maybe Kiki will take treats from the person through the bars. The point is, everything has to be done in baby steps. Never do anything that seems to scare her.

I'm glad your bird has you, it sounds like she really likes and trusts you!

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
cockatiels are know to have night frights, by leaving a light on near by will help some. I leave a 25 watt bulb on the opposite side of the room and have 5 watt light bulb near their cages. I cover my birds at night with dark sheets or blankets so that it eliminates any bright lights from outside getting into their line of vision. you only need to cover 3 sides of the cage leaving the back open. not everybody agrees with covering their cages, by I think it helps a lot.
let's start by getting her in routine that she gets up by 9 am (or when ever you get up) and goes to bed at 9 pm, every day. like I said birds need 12+ hours of sleep to be at their very best. also seeds are fine for part of the diet, but let's try to get a good pellet mix in with the seeds, something like Roudybush or Lafabers. also try to get some veggies in daily or a mash. millet is fine for treats once in a while. also try to take some of the sunflower seeds out of the seed mixture, a few are fine but they get addicted to them and that all they will eat. save them in jar or ice cream bucket as treats. veggies are the easy part of the deal, sweet potatoes mashed with little cinnamon 1/8 of teaspoon to entire mashed up sweet potato. you can freeze part of the mash in snack size zip lock baggies, fresh greens such as endive, parsley, carrot tops, broccoli, chard, romaine, beet greens. here is chop chart that will help you to good choices in veggies and fruit for your bird.
chopchart.jpg
I also give my birds soaked and sprouted grains daily. here is another chart that will help you also.
Soak & Sprout food.jpg
remember that the above should not be left in the cage for more then couple of hours (2) and should be thrown away the uneaten portion. there are mixes out on the market that you can buy that they really love Worldly Cuisines is one of my birds favorite mashes. you make it up and let it cool and give about 12 to 18 grams. Do you have gram scale? if not a little over a teaspoon to teaspoon and half. I warm mine up in the microwave about 30 seconds from the frig. this is their breakfast in the morning and they get a warm chop at night. (I plant a garden for my birds so I know what they are getting is fresh and healthy with no pesticides, herbicides sprayed on their veggies) if you buy veggies and fruit from the supermarket, you must wash them very well b/4 feeding them to your bird. and what @Tiel Feathers said baby steps, little tiny, baby steps. i'm working thru that right now with Bebe. he is just now trusting me enough to allow me to feed him little treats thru the bars of his cage.
hope this helps you.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome.

mjsmith3406

Real Name
Mike
Yes, to all of you. The information is very helpful. I will try the baby steps with her with the food for sure. It may take a while, she is so freaking picky. Also thank you for the help with the night-tares. I am always afraid to wake up with her severely hurt. All of you were a big help.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
what I am finding with Bebe is he knows nothing about good healthy food because he has been fed seed all of his 10 years. it's hard habit to break. try starting out with just mashed sweet potatoes and cinnamon. you eat it too in front of her with lots gusto, nummies making her see that you loves it too. she is more likely to try it.