• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

new cockatiel concerns

Mels

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi everyone, I have one cockatiel, a 12 year old female grey, who I’d hope to find a new companion for since her sister died 2 years ago. Yesterday I bought a cockatiel from a pet store. There were four other cockatiels in the enclosure but he was the only one I never saw up on the perch. He was nervous and balding, but the worker said it was just because of stress. Taking pity on him, I decided he’d be the new addition to our family.

What I didn’t notice until I got home, however, is that he has a dry little black stump on the end of his toe with no toenail. Is this something like gangrene or an infection, or just a scab from the toenail coming out?

Not only that, but when I let him out to walk around in my room he seemed very disoriented and walked around in circles, bumping into things. I am unsure if this is normal.

He’s a white male of about 6 months to a year old, and the store said they’d been getting their cockatiels throughout the week. I can’t say for sure if it’s the fault of the store since whatever this injury is appears to be old, but do I have the right to complain for not notifying me of the injury?

He’s a beautiful bird and I want him to be happy with my family, but vet visits are costly and I’m not ready to handle another tragedy so soon. Any advice helps, thank you.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Take him in to get checked, that looks like a bite or other injury to his toe,,as for the walking and bumping into things, check his sight,,does he have any " grey snowflake" looking things in his eyes? And the back of his head looks like others picked on him.Thank you for bringing him home, hope he will be ok!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He's a beautiful bird, but yes, that toe looks bad. He needs to see a vet.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Try not to take pity on any bird in a pet store. If this was me I would get a refund and have a good talk with the manager for selling sick/injured birds. But you can go the other way and take the bird to a vet yourself and find out what is going on with an entire systems check.

Mels

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you very much for the advice. I've called the pet store and they admitted it was a mistake on their part for not checking the bird thoroughly before selling. I'll be going back later today to exchange him for a healthier bird, and I'm hoping that they'll fix him up before reselling.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thank you very much for the advice. I've called the pet store and they admitted it was a mistake on their part for not checking the bird thoroughly before selling. I'll be going back later today to exchange him for a healthier bird, and I'm hoping that they'll fix him up before reselling.
Well, that's what they say, I worked in pet store, this place I worked at usually put the sick ones in the back room, I didnt work there long. .. not raining on you. But, I personally wouldn't take him back, just my heart talking here.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Returning the bird to the store is a death sentence for the bird. Many stores would just put him in a freezer to euthanize him. It isn't financially advantageous to treat his problems and then resale him.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
My experience at Petco (worked on weekends) A budgie was attacked by the flock and had bloody head. Soon as the bird keeper noticed it she got the managers OK and rushed him to the vet. Poor baby died overnight in a hospital cage. I may just depend on the manager of the store.

Can you ethically re home a sick/injured bird?

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Aww poor little guy! What ever you choose I wish you luck, it’s bad the store sold him to you whilst he was sick. Maybe instead of getting one from a pet store you could get your next one from rescue or breeders?

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I feel deficient in proper Avian Avenue spirit. Instead of welcoming you, I posted a negatively slanted message. Please forgive my previous post and accept my sincere welcome to the forum. We are here to help and inform as well as encourage and support pet bird companions.

:greet7::welave:

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
:welcome2: Mels. You have a kind heart to want to look after this tielie. I hope you come back to share news of either this little one or another. We are not here to judge. Sick birds can mount up high vet bills.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!