• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New cage!

SmallFeather

Walking the driveway
Hi all! Aries’ new cage just came in. His previous cage was the bare minimum and I really just want him to have the best life possible. I’m so excited! His old cage will become his sleep cage. Also got some new puzzle toys that he’s having a blast with!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Awesome! I´m sure Aries will appreciate all the extra space :)

Sarah Rose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah
Wow that’s wonderful! I’m sure he’ll definitely appreciate the extra room and those fun toys :laughing2:

KatelynDeanne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
Wow! Love the new cage! Where did you find this one? :)

manuelcalavera

Strolling the yard
Why would you have two separate "homes" for your companion? Judging from the articles, they need to feel "a place" like "home".

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Why would you have two separate "homes" for your companion? Judging from the articles, they need to feel "a place" like "home".
A lot of people have separate sleep cages in quieter/darker areas of the house, so their birds get a full and restful night's sleep.

Reactions: tka

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aries' new cage looks great! I bet he loves it!

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love his expression in the photo of him with his new puzzle toy! His new cage looks huge compared to his old one - I'm sure he'll enjoy using the space.

A lot of people have separate sleep cages in quieter/darker areas of the house, so their birds get a full and restful night's sleep.
In the wild, many species of parrot don't sleep where they spend the day. In the morning, the flock will wake up and fly to their foraging grounds. They'll spend the day there, feeding, playing and napping, then at dusk, they'll fly back to their roosting area. Having a separate sleep cage mimics this routine and helps some parrots feel more secure.

In addition, parrots feel happiest when they are part of their human flock which is why we recommend keeping their daytime cage in the busiest room in the house. However, this room may remain busy and noisy well into the evening after the parrot has gone to bed. It's hard to reconcile a family's schedule with the 12 hours of dark and quiet needed by a parrot: for example, the parrot should go to bed at 7pm, but not everyone has finished eating or someone wants to watch a film that goes on until midnight. As @hrafn says, having a separate sleep cage in a different room helps the parrot get enough sleep.