• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures New Cage Set-Up for Ki :-)

ArtBird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
I'm so exited...Ki's cage will be arriving, and I've been planning what to put in it.
I've sketched a errr....plan/sort of/ for the back of the cage... :shy:

The cage: Kings Aluminum 33x25/Bronze :dancing: (he's used to a Preview 18x18"! :wtf: )

I've ordered 5-6 flagstone perches from Bird On The Rocks, along with two dragonwood perches to go under the food bowls on each side..., and two split manzanita shelves.
I've got the big foraging wheel from Parrots Parrots Parrots...and another foraging cage.

This wont be exact, but its a start, any feedback will be appreciated. I don't want to crowd the cage, so most perches etc would be along two sides, and 3 upper corner shelves. I'll probably incorporate his "loft" an 8X18" sheepskin padded shelf that will go up higher. I've been reading about creating a sleeping roost and even making his travel cage into a nighttime sleeping roost cage, so his daytime cage is all fun play zone.
CAGEDESIGN.jpg

Yay! I just got my Abaca Rope Swing from Natural Inspirations!! I got the 1&1/2"x4',
They come in 2" as well, 4,6 or 8'.
image.jpg

Last edited:

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
Only an artist could render such beauty combined with functionality. What a lucky bird! :heart:
Wow thank you.... I was trying to incorporate some of what I've learned here from you guys!!!
Hoping it's not too much stuff back there. .... Of course, I still have to make that net.... I kinda like adding side ropes....

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
wow impressive! and I will add that Kai used to have a sleep cage and he played more in his day cage. I liked having both. Beautiful drawing.
Thank you...well he deserves a bigger better cage he saved my life! Lol

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
Well, gee, thanks...its just a sketch....lol It was mostly just to plan out the cage, which, I feel like I'm not that good at. I've been looking at a lot of cage set-ups here, though, to get inspiration. :p

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so exited...Ki's cage will be arriving, and I've been planning what to put in it.
I've sketched a errr....plan/sort of/ for the back of the cage... :shy:

The cage: Kings Aluminum 33x25/Bronze :dancing: (he's used to a Preview 18x18"! :wtf: )

I've ordered 5-6 flagstone perches from Bird On The Rocks, along with two dragonwood perches to go under the food bowls on each side..., and two split manzanita shelves.
I've got the big foraging wheel from Parrots Parrots Parrots...and another foraging cage.

This wont be exact, but its a start, any feedback will be appreciated. I don't want to crowd the cage, so most perches etc would be along two sides, and 3 upper corner shelves. I'll probably incorporate his "loft" an 8X18" sheepskin padded shelf that will go up higher. I've been reading about creating a sleeping roost and even making his travel cage into a nighttime sleeping roost cage, so his daytime cage is all fun play zone.
View attachment 163117

Yay! I just got my Abaca Rope Swing from Natural Inspirations!! I got the 1&1/2"x4',
They come in 2" as well, 4,6 or 8'.
View attachment 163157
Your drawing looks so good. When I try to design cages on paper, oh gosh, you'd probably cover your eyes and whimper!

vmashley03

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria
Already looks like it will be a fantastic set up for Ki! :pinkgrin: I'm excited to see pics of it when you get it all set up!!! :heart:

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
Your drawing looks so good. When I try to design cages on paper, oh gosh, you'd probably cover your eyes and whimper!
Thank you! This is cracking me up. To me, that's a 15-min scribble, only meant to convey a general idea.

I was hoping to get feedback on the cage set-up--placement/ if its too much/too busy/if a bird would like it, etc.....I did a not-so-great job on his last cage, and its too overcrowded and he has too many perches, etc, etc....but everyone is commenting on the drawing instead....(which feels really great... but...) :artist2: :bash: :sad9: :oops2:

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
Already looks like it will be a fantastic set up for Ki! :pinkgrin: I'm excited to see pics of it when you get it all set up!!! :heart:
Thank you...I feel like I did a really rotten job with his last one, just out of ignorance... :sad11: so I'm trying to make it better. Now that I've drawn that climbing net, I need to make one like it! :waitsws2:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
It is hard to know what to do with a cage until you know your bird well :)

Rowdy likes a busy cage, and so does Sophie. Merlin is blind and mostly plays on the bottom. Pete takes time to adjust to new things.

vmashley03

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria
Thank you...I feel like I did a really rotten job with his last one, just out of ignorance... :sad11: so I'm trying to make it better. Now that I've drawn that climbing net, I need to make one like it! :waitsws2:
I bet you will make a good net (I know I would get too frustrated trying to make one so I just bought one instead)...but I like how that one perch goes right through/connected to it and everything looks pretty natural. The only thing thing I would be concerned about is making sure there is absolutely no way Ki could hurt himself/become entangled in the net and watch out for him pooing all over the lower perches while on the higher ones..you could also put a perch or platform on the door/outside of the cage to use as a landing platform

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
It is hard to know what to do with a cage until you know your bird well :)

Rowdy likes a busy cage, and so does Sophie. Merlin is blind and mostly plays on the bottom. Pete takes time to adjust to new things.
:arghh: well.....Ki doesn't really like being in his cage, and when I'm home, and he has to be in, at times he will eat, take a nap, but mostly he sits right in front of the door meeping and waiting to be let out. :(

Now- I thought that it was because he is in a too-small cage, and doesn't have a lot of room to run hop flap play etc...but he is out for most of the time I'm home, anywhere from 6-10 hours a day, he has the whole place to fly around and play in, and lands on me whenever and sleeps on my knee or shoulder...and he has a playstand, and a kitchen sink shelf ....so, maybe he is just spoiled.

I've been reading about Roosting, though, and its dawning on me that, maybe, he sees his cage as a sleep cage, and is unhappy when I try to "make him go to bed" before its his bedtime. ?
THIS parrot owner explains what she has observed about sleeping/Roosting in wild parrots & with her own.

So, maybe if I use his travel cage as a sleep/roost cage, he will be happier when I bring him to his "play" cage during the day.

Or, maybe he'll just be like ,..."Aah, Moooommm.....let me out....this is still just a cage..." :rofl:

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
I bet you will make a good net (I know I would get too frustrated trying to make one so I just bought one instead)...but I like how that one perch goes right through/connected to it and everything looks pretty natural. The only thing thing I would be concerned about is making sure there is absolutely no way Ki could hurt himself/become entangled in the net and watch out for him pooing all over the lower perches while on the higher ones..you could also put a perch or platform on the door/outside of the cage to use as a landing platform
Oh....I love it! Thats a GREAT idea! It doesn't have the balcony door I liked...so that would be the next best thing!! :dancing:
I'm trying to place all the perches/shelves around the edges, and mostly on the BACK wall like stepping stones, and leave a lot of room in the middle. If he doesnt have many perches on the feed-cup sides, maybe that will help. I was thinking of securing the net to the back wall. I will watch him closely when he gets the net! He does have sharp little toenails. I just got him a "nail trimming" perch I hope that helps.