• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New cage brand or website recommendations for my Amazon

BK313

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
I've had my Double Yellow Headed Amazon now for 23 years. The first cage I bought for her when I first got her was a Prevue Hendryx and it was powder coated, but lasted 18 years and was very sturdy and well built. I decided to upgrade and get a larger cage about 4 years ago, and went with one I found on the Hayneedle website, which is an Avian Adventures Mediana Playtop Bird Cage. Unfortunately, it has already begun to get chipped in the areas where she likes to rub her beak when she eats, or higher traffic areas that she uses on her way out to the playtop, which she uses every day.

Last week, she started showing signs of ataxia, so I took her to a local avian vet ASAP and she's since being treated for lead/zinc toxicity with DMSA meds daily (which very gratefully and thankfully, she's been responding well to!). I can't be positive whether it's due to the cage being chipped in those areas she uses each day, or possibly the toys she has been playing with daily that I've hung on her playtop (one has a metal bell and some of the others are strung on metal chains).

I've wrapped the chipped areas with vet medical tape in the meantime, but I need to get a new cage to get her out of this one and away from anything that could've cause that to happen.

After this experience with the Avian Adventures one I have, I'm not sure that I would get another cage of the same brand. I have already looked up and went onto the King's Cages website, and unfortunately, the only powder coated playtop cage that is the size I want and is in my budget is a coppertone color, which I don't want. I am having a hard time finding the other brand we had for 18 years, Prevue Hendryx, online that looks like it is a good quality. It seems quality has gone down hill with mostly all of the cages, so I wanted to see if anyone has some personal experience on the brands I'm seeing on Bird Cages for Less website or Wayfair.

The one that looks best to me is on Bird Cages for less and is a Koloa Kavern brand. There's another on Wayfair that is make by Tucker Murphy Pet and is a Cineas model.

Any experiences with brands or models, or if there are other websites you've shopped on that are reputable would be greatly appreciated!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don't have experience with Koala Kavern, but Tucker Murphy is just a Wayfair name that they rebrand cages with. They can be from King's, Preview, A&E, and Midwest (formerly Avian Adventures), etc.

BK313

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
I don't have experience with Koala Kavern, but Tucker Murphy is just a Wayfair name that they rebrand cages with. They can be from King's, Preview, A&E, and Midwest (formerly Avian Adventures), etc.
Thanks! That's interesting. Do you have any experience with Tucker Murphy cages, or buying a cage from Wayfair?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thanks! That's interesting. Do you have any experience with Tucker Murphy cages, or buying a cage from Wayfair?
I do not, I'm afraid. I think @iamwhoiam maybe has?

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
King’s Cages has a sale through August. Really like the one I have for my grey.

They’re expensive but worth it.

Aviphile

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
DeeDee
I've had my Double Yellow Headed Amazon now for 23 years. The first cage I bought for her when I first got her was a Prevue Hendryx and it was powder coated, but lasted 18 years and was very sturdy and well built. I decided to upgrade and get a larger cage about 4 years ago, and went with one I found on the Hayneedle website, which is an Avian Adventures Mediana Playtop Bird Cage. Unfortunately, it has already begun to get chipped in the areas where she likes to rub her beak when she eats, or higher traffic areas that she uses on her way out to the playtop, which she uses every day.

Last week, she started showing signs of ataxia, so I took her to a local avian vet ASAP and she's since being treated for lead/zinc toxicity with DMSA meds daily (which very gratefully and thankfully, she's been responding well to!). I can't be positive whether it's due to the cage being chipped in those areas she uses each day, or possibly the toys she has been playing with daily that I've hung on her playtop (one has a metal bell and some of the others are strung on metal chains).

I've wrapped the chipped areas with vet medical tape in the meantime, but I need to get a new cage to get her out of this one and away from anything that could've cause that to happen.

After this experience with the Avian Adventures one I have, I'm not sure that I would get another cage of the same brand. I have already looked up and went onto the King's Cages website, and unfortunately, the only powder coated playtop cage that is the size I want and is in my budget is a coppertone color, which I don't want. I am having a hard time finding the other brand we had for 18 years, Prevue Hendryx, online that looks like it is a good quality. It seems quality has gone down hill with mostly all of the cages, so I wanted to see if anyone has some personal experience on the brands I'm seeing on Bird Cages for Less website or Wayfair.

The one that looks best to me is on Bird Cages for less and is a Koloa Kavern brand. There's another on Wayfair that is make by Tucker Murphy Pet and is a Cineas model.

Any experiences with brands or models, or if there are other websites you've shopped on that are reputable would be greatly appreciated!
I am so glad that she is alright, what a fright! Have you thought about a stainless steel cage? Prevue Hendryx has several stainless steel cages to choose from.
Since you said playtop I chose this one but I wasn't sure of size and bar space. They have this one at Walmart online.
Prevue lare stainless steel with play top.png

One Wayfair they have this cage
Wayfair Cage.png
and it is the same exact cage as this one at Windy City Parrot

caspin22

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christine
I've purchased two "Charlonda" cages from Wayfair, both are this one: Wayfair.com - Online Home Store for Furniture, Decor, Outdoors & More | Wayfair. It's an A&E cage (with an HQ model number, reinforcing my belief that A&E and HQ come off the same assembly line along with King's), rebranded as "Tucker Murphy" (Wayfair rebrands everything). Both times, the cages were drop shipped to me directly from A&E and arrived in good condition. This particular cage is fabulous, but 1/2" bar spacing so not suitable for an Amazon.

If you look closely, all cages on Wayfair, despite what brand they are listed as, are major brands, and small clues in design can usually point you to which ones they are. Their prices tend to be pretty good, and free shipping in the US is awesome, as it can cost a fortune to ship cages since they are so heavy.

BK313

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
King’s Cages has a sale through August. Really like the one I have for my grey.

They’re expensive but worth it.
Thanks! Yes, I was really hoping to buy a King's Cage. Unfortunately, I do not want the only dark red color they currently have in stock, and I can't afford to wait to buy one at this point. They have another, slightly larger and more $$ cage that I almost bought. However, it's too low to the ground and I have dogs, so that's a safety hazard I also do not want. I like the ones higher up with the storage underneath. And, I want a light color to be able to see easier if there are any chips eventually.

BK313

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
I've purchased two "Charlonda" cages from Wayfair, both are this one: Wayfair.com - Online Home Store for Furniture, Decor, Outdoors & More | Wayfair. It's an A&E cage (with an HQ model number, reinforcing my belief that A&E and HQ come off the same assembly line along with King's), rebranded as "Tucker Murphy" (Wayfair rebrands everything). Both times, the cages were drop shipped to me directly from A&E and arrived in good condition. This particular cage is fabulous, but 1/2" bar spacing so not suitable for an Amazon.

If you look closely, all cages on Wayfair, despite what brand they are listed as, are major brands, and small clues in design can usually point you to which ones they are. Their prices tend to be pretty good, and free shipping in the US is awesome, as it can cost a fortune to ship cages since they are so heavy.
Thanks for the reply! It's reassuring to know that others have used Wayfair with good results. I just wish the only cage with a playtop didn't have a breeder door. They all seem to have the breeder doors now, and we have no use for them. The breeder doors are right where her perch goes that she likes to stand on, near her treat bowl. But, she's never messed with food doors from inside or outside the cage. So, hopefully it will not be an issue.

BK313

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
I am so glad that she is alright, what a fright! Have you thought about a stainless steel cage? Prevue Hendryx has several stainless steel cages to choose from.
Since you said playtop I chose this one but I wasn't sure of size and bar space. They have this one at Walmart online.
View attachment 433017

One Wayfair they have this cage
View attachment 433018
and it is the same exact cage as this one at Windy City Parrot
Thanks! Yes; it was really quite the fright! I did already look at the Prevue stainless one. But I don't care for the design, where the bowls are, and it's too low to the floor. I can't justify that cost for a cage I won't like. We need a playtop for her, or else I would have looked at the flight cages, too.

I appreciate your concern and suggestions! :)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
What size cage are you looking for and what area or country are you in?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I purchased a few Avian Adventures cages from Wayfair. Have never purchased a Tucker Murphy rebranded cage.
There were issues with one of the cages and I dealt directly with Midwest Homes for Pets to resolve the issues.
The Avian Adventures were dropped shipped directly from Midwest rather than Wayfair.

Sorry what happened with the cage and your bird. I haven't had issues like that. I know that Midwest Homes changed the quality of the Avian Adventures cages to some extent and not for the better.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

I've been considering purchasing a Charlonda. Who do you have the Charlondas for? I was considering that cage for one of my red-bellied parrots but the bar gauge concerns me.

caspin22

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christine
I've been considering purchasing a Charlonda. Who do you have the Charlondas for? I was considering that cage for one of my red-bellied parrots but the bar gauge concerns me.
We have three of these cages in total, two came from Wayfair and one from our local bird store. We have cockatiels in two of them, and a Quaker in the third one. My Red Bellied parrot is in a 32"x23" dome top with 5/8" bar spacing and slightly thicker bars....but she might be ok in the Charlonda too. It's way more sturdy/solid than most of the 1/2" bar spacing wire cages out there. I love that it has 4 stainless steel dishes, the awesome "drawbridge style" feeder doors, horizontal bars on all 4 sides great for climbing, and a huge solid shelf underneath. Our birds also all love the drop down "porch" as well. I think I have some photos posted in the cage setup thread.

IQ's Human

Strolling the yard
Real Name
CJ
Thanks! Yes, I was really hoping to buy a King's Cage. Unfortunately, I do not want the only dark red color they currently have in stock, and I can't afford to wait to buy one at this point. They have another, slightly larger and more $$ cage that I almost bought. However, it's too low to the ground and I have dogs, so that's a safety hazard I also do not want. I like the ones higher up with the storage underneath. And, I want a light color to be able to see easier if there are any chips eventually.
So sorry for the trouble you are going through, but so happy your bird is responding so well to treatment.
It's a shame that King's cage doesn't currently have what you need in stock. I bought one for my CAG in 2017 as a replacement for his first powder coated cage [Neon brand, no longer in business] and it held up beautifully. Like most of our feathered companions my grey had a "route" out the door, and down the leg like a fireman's pole. He never managed to scrape or chip the powder coat. He also liked to chew at the bars on the door if I wasn't getting it open fast enough [patience is not their long suit] and again, no damage.
Now that he has flown away to Spirit I donated his cage to his vet as a hospital cage and they were surprised at how well it held up after almost 7 years of use and weekly scrubbings. I, like you, had a series of cages over the years, Preview, Neon, and a few "no name" wrought iron cages...Of them all King's has been my favorite.

Tucker Murphey used to be California Cages I wasn't a fan of their locks back when, too many sharp edges for little toes and tongues to get cut on.
IMG_20230413_162449896.jpg IMG_20230413_162434730.jpg

caspin22

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christine
So sorry for the trouble you are going through, but so happy your bird is responding so well to treatment.
It's a shame that King's cage doesn't currently have what you need in stock. I bought one for my CAG in 2017 as a replacement for his first powder coated cage [Neon brand, no longer in business] and it held up beautifully. Like most of our feathered companions my grey had a "route" out the door, and down the leg like a fireman's pole. He never managed to scrape or chip the powder coat. He also liked to chew at the bars on the door if I wasn't getting it open fast enough [patience is not their long suit] and again, no damage.
Now that he has flown away to Spirit I donated his cage to his vet as a hospital cage and they were surprised at how well it held up after almost 7 years of use and weekly scrubbings. I, like you, had a series of cages over the years, Preview, Neon, and a few "no name" wrought iron cages...Of them all King's has been my favorite.

Tucker Murphey used to be California Cages I wasn't a fan of their locks back when, too many sharp edges for little toes and tongues to get cut on.
View attachment 433281 View attachment 433282
Tucker Murphy isn't Cal Cages. It's Wayfair's retail rebrand of A&E. The"Tucker Murphy" cages I got from Wayfair were drop shipped to me directly from A&E Cages and were in an A&E branded box. In some of their photos of Tucker Murphy cages, you can see the little A&E logo on the extra cage lock.

IQ's Human

Strolling the yard
Real Name
CJ
Tucker Murphy isn't Cal Cages. It's Wayfair's retail rebrand of A&E. The"Tucker Murphy" cages I got from Wayfair were drop shipped to me directly from A&E Cages and were in an A&E branded box. In some of their photos of Tucker Murphy cages, you can see the little A&E logo on the extra cage lock.
Thanks for clearing that up...I somehow forgot the question mark regarding Tucker Murphy/Cal Cage...bad fingers< :oops:go to your room!

caspin22

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christine
Thanks for clearing that up...I somehow forgot the question mark regarding Tucker Murphy/Cal Cage...bad fingers< :oops:go to your room!
Ah ok, that changes everything! My apologies if I came off as short - it wasn't my intention. I always try to clear up the whole Wayfair thing because it annoys me that Wayfair makes up imaginary brand names for everything. It's not just bird cages - they do it so that you can't comparison shop/price shop between them and other retailers because they give everything they sell fake brand and model names, even if it's the exact same item that other retailers sell.

IQ's Human

Strolling the yard
Real Name
CJ
Ah ok, that changes everything! My apologies if I came off as short - it wasn't my intention. I always try to clear up the whole Wayfair thing because it annoys me that Wayfair makes up imaginary brand names for everything. It's not just bird cages - they do it so that you can't comparison shop/price shop between them and other retailers because they give everything they sell fake brand and model names, even if it's the exact same item that other retailers sell.
Not a problem, and no offense taken...it was obviously my bad fingers that caused the confusion. [which is why I sent them to their room! :D]

I've never dealt with Wayfair, but I can understand why it annoys you. Gotta watch every minute...

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wish the old Cal-Cage ones were still available. They were so well made they were almost indestructible. Have you tried Offer Up? I've had good luck selling extra cages on there and I've seen some locals selling some stainless steel cages. It's worth looking just to see what's available.