• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures New budgie..kind of

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
My neighbors to my left were very nice and I always let my kids play with theirs. They decided they wanted to move to Oregon to be closer to family and packed up, leaving a week ago. Yesterday the realtor stopped by and she was holding their budgie in a small, rusty cage. She asked me if I could take it because the owners of the house just left it! We had talked previously when she saw Bowser getting some sun and knew I had bird experience. I couldn’t believe these “nice” people just up and left their pet! And then just this morning I see they also left their cat who wAs indoor and outdoor to roam the neighborhood! Awful. (At least it appears they took their dog with them)
So I took the budgie to the vet yesterday because he hadn’t had water in what had to be a couple days at least (or however long his tiny water dish could last) and he was dehydrated. We got him hydrated and he has a clean bill of health.
He’s in quarantine still for a bit because I would rather be safe. Plus I don’t have any extra flight cages just laying around lol.
We’ve named him Cloudy and he is so sweet. I don’t know much about him because the neighbors just got him a few weeks before leaving.
Here he is learning about trust. I found with my other budgies that they were fascinated with a water bottle lid filled with shallow water when I was getting them used to hands. So I tried it with Cloudy and he loves it too. He plays with it and made some light nibbles to my hand to check it out. No biting and no backing away. He steps up but not if you move so he’s not ready to be out of his safety zone yet. Hopefully in time he’ll get more comfortable.
I wasn’t planning on keeping him at all...I had a lot of medical bills this past month that made me sad to miss the sidewalk sale lol but I couldn’t leave this little guy.
So he’ll prob be staying lol. D54E7322-1EFF-41D0-95F2-B5A97081CAA3.jpeg 5F793512-88DA-4EFD-A7EA-4A17AE5BDE36.jpeg

*side note: dowels aren’t staying. I had to ready a quarantine cage with no warning so it’ll be spruced up soon. :)

Garet

Real Name
Garet
He looks like he's going to be a troublemaker when he finally starts settling in and opening up. :angel2: Here's hoping his suffering is over and he pulls through quarantine without a hitch.

Their loss is your gain. I hope they never get another animal again. I can't even imagine what they're teaching their kids by doing this to their poor animals.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for taking him into your home. So sad that they neighbors left him and their cat.
He's very cute and is lucky to have found a home with you.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
He looks like he's going to be a troublemaker when he finally starts settling in and opening up. :angel2: Here's hoping his suffering is over and he pulls through quarantine without a hitch.

Their loss is your gain. I hope they never get another animal again. I can't even imagine what they're teaching their kids by doing this to their poor animals.
Thank you, I also think he’s going to be quite the character.
The weird thing is they were very nice, always offering help in the community, etc. I never would have thought they’d do this.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
He looks a little like my Murphy. If you have any questions there are several "budgie" members on A A
Thank you. I have three budgies that I’ve had for a few years now, but I’m constantly learning. Somehow learning my macaws behavior was easier than the budgies, smart little things that they are.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
That's so sad!! I have never been able to figure out how someone could do that!! I'm so glad they found him when they did.

Hope you are feeling better too :heart:

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
That's so sad!! I have never been able to figure out how someone could do that!! I'm so glad they found him when they did.

Hope you are feeling better too :heart:
Thank you! I’m feeling great! It was the handful of those super fun mammograms :bash:and the biopsy that added up. (Apparently under a certain age they are not covered by my insurance yay :chin:) But it all came back benign so I’m happy. :heart:

I can’t wrap my head around abandoning an animal either. I remember when they got him a few weeks ago because I saw them go in with a PetSmart box. The kids were super excited and I offered to give them some bird bread I had just made, which they declined lol. I was really worried when I saw his droppings because it was clear he was dehyrated. Thankfully he’s spunky and he hasn’t had an issue rallying. Millet, toys (there’s something fun about seeing the little guy enjoy his first ever piece of balsa), and love agree with him.
If you look close you can see the toy he uses most is the skewer I made with one of the foot toys you gave me with an order a while ago. He loves it!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thank you! I’m feeling great! It was the handful of those super fun mammograms :bash:and the biopsy that added up. (Apparently under a certain age they are not covered by my insurance yay :chin:) But it all came back benign so I’m happy. :heart:

I can’t wrap my head around abandoning an animal either. I remember when they got him a few weeks ago because I saw them go in with a PetSmart box. The kids were super excited and I offered to give them some bird bread I had just made, which they declined lol. I was really worried when I saw his droppings because it was clear he was dehyrated. Thankfully he’s spunky and he hasn’t had an issue rallying. Millet, toys (there’s something fun about seeing the little guy enjoy his first ever piece of balsa), and love agree with him.
If you look close you can see the toy he uses most is the skewer I made with one of the foot toys you gave me with an order a while ago. He loves it!

Glad it came back benign. That would be super scary. Stupid that women of all ages get mammograms but insurance won't cover it based on age. Like, really??

I see it now!! Glad he loves it :D Seeing birds with new toys when you know they haven't had it very good is one of the most rewarding thing about bringing them home!

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
How does that saying go "When you think you know someone they do the exact opposite." He is so very lucky to have found a home with you.

I know how you feel about the mammograms and stuff. Insurance will only cover so much depending on your age. My CT scan cost me a pretty penny.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
There you go again, Lisa. Saving another bird. So great of you and he sounds like he is going to be a wonderful addition.

So glad the tests all turned out positive for you.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Spent some time with Cloudy today and made progress with trust. :heart:
He accepted scritches for the first time and seemed to relax into them. Then after he semi perched on a finger for a bit.
I’m so glad he’s starting to settle in and lose the stress of what he’s been through.
E67E103D-7E47-4CA9-9859-B1784547BF87.jpeg
CF6F44F9-7E7C-4EF7-BD28-210E003AFDC3.jpeg

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
What happen to the cat?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Human touch is something many budgies do not want. Every once in a while along comes a little darling like this one. My Mickey is as sweet as sugar but Murphy wants no part of humans.

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
He his SO cute! He's so lucky that he ended up with you. Very disappointing that your neighbors took off leaving the cat and bird. Some people look at pets as "disposable". Pets are not disposable.

Jazzy*

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
abbie
he is soo cute! so happy you were able to take him in

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Human touch is something many budgies do not want. Every once in a while along comes a little darling like this one. My Mickey is as sweet as sugar but Murphy wants no part of humans.
He seems to look forward to our one on one time. I talk to him for an hour before I put my hand in and then he leans into the scritches. I don’t know if it’s from his being alone so long or if he’s just that way, but he’s a really loving little guy. I think in time he’ll be happy to get out of the cage (he hasn’t felt ready to do that yet) and explore the bird safe room.