• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Budgie in 2 weeks!!!

budgies123

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
So im possibly getting a budgie in 2 weeks! i have kept budgies before and have experience aswell as knowledge. i have 2 questions:
1. the bird i want is hand tame and will let you pet it and will step up aswell. i held it and interacted with it but was a bit flighty. it caught my heart strings! held baby lovebirds, were cute but didnt catch my heart like the budgie! now for the question, if i took the hand tame budgie home, would it possibly become more hand shy when it arrives home?

2. second question is when the bird gets home shall i give it specific mites and flea sprays just incase? i dont have any other birds but my mom is pretty over the top with hygeine and i cant stop her. i really dont want to but would it be okay to give the spray? its specifically for budgies. i will take it to the vet but should i or should i not? thanks everybody. i will update when i do get my budgie :)

RitaG

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rita Glasel
Hi, and congratulations on getting your new budgie in a few weeks. To answer your two questions: first, I would expect your new budgie to be a little bit more hand shy when he gets to his new home, but that is temporary. He is in a new environment and needs some time to adjust. I would speak very softly and calmly in front of him for a day or two and use your instincts on what is the best time to have him go on your finger.

On your second question, I absolutely would NOT NOT NOT give him any of those sprays. Although the manufacturers may say they are not toxic to birds, I would never use them. I would definitely take your new bird to the vet to have him checked out and take his advice, but I have a feeling your bird will be pest free. Whatever you do, I would recommend against using any of those flea or mite sprays. They are extremely toxic and if they can kill dogs imagine what they could do to a bird and how quickly.

Can't wait to see pictures of your new little budgie. Best of luck with him!

RitaG

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rita Glasel
I might add that I raise Yorkies and will not give any of those sprays to them either. I also own a pet cockatiel and you and I have something in common: I just acquired a budgie a week ago. His name is Skye who was also hand tamed before I got him and he is just now getting used to going on my finger happily. It's been a week.
image.jpeg
Skye

image.jpeg
Skye and Jet

Reggie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
second question is when the bird gets home shall i give it specific mites and flea sprays just incase?
Unless you're told by your veterinarian to give it a flea or mite spray - don't. Those sprays are full of chemicals and can possibly make your budgie sick if given incorrectly.
Since your mom is worried about hygiene, spraying the budgie with luke-warm to wamrish water once a day will keep the mites away. Other things that will help are changing the newspaper lining in the bottom of the cage on a daily basis and keeping the rest of the budgies' supplies clean. I would also recommend not taking the budgie outside under an circumstances as this can expose the budgie to mites as well - you never know what's outside!

if i took the hand tame budgie home, would it possibly become more hand shy when it arrives home?
Yes. When you bring a bird home - no matter how tame it is in its first location - the stresses of a new environment are going to make it more hand-shy. I recommend only giving your new bird ambient attention for about three weeks after you've brought it home. Give it time to get settled and used to the new environment it's in and the new routine of living at your house.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I mostly will just repeat what others have said - budgies tend be rather shy and easily frightened, so, yes, your budgie will seem more hand shy when you bring it home. But, it's just temporary, you need to gentle and patient, and earn their trust; once you earn their trust, they are very friendly and curious little guys. The fact that he's stepping up already is a good sign; just don't expect him to want to step up for you right away in a new home, trust has to be earned with these guys.
Also you mentioned that you could pet him - budgies, in general, don't like being petted, at least not the way you would a dog or cat. If he allows you - try very gently stratching his cheeks. You will be able to tell right away if he likes it since he will fluff those feathers out to let you get in there and scratch more. If he seems frightened or doesn't enjoy it, don't push it, but if he's used to being touched/petted already, he may like that. He's much more likely to enjoy this than being petted.

Also, do not use the mite/lice sprays. It is very rare for a healthy bird to have mites or lice and if he does, it is safer for him to be treated by a vet.

budgies123

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Hi, and congratulations on getting your new budgie in a few weeks. To answer your two questions: first, I would expect your new budgie to be a little bit more hand shy when he gets to his new home, but that is temporary. He is in a new environment and needs some time to adjust. I would speak very softly and calmly in front of him for a day or two and use your instincts on what is the best time to have him go on your finger.

On your second question, I absolutely would NOT NOT NOT give him any of those sprays. Although the manufacturers may say they are not toxic to birds, I would never use them. I would definitely take your new bird to the vet to have him checked out and take his advice, but I have a feeling your bird will be pest free. Whatever you do, I would recommend against using any of those flea or mite sprays. They are extremely toxic and if they can kill dogs imagine what they could do to a bird and how quickly.

Can't wait to see pictures of your new little budgie. Best of luck with him!
I see! thank you! i will tell my mother that they are toxic and bad for birds and i most definitely wont use them! thank you for your advice much appreciated! i will keep you guys updated! only a week to go!:):):)

budgies123

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Unless you're told by your veterinarian to give it a flea or mite spray - don't. Those sprays are full of chemicals and can possibly make your budgie sick if given incorrectly.
Since your mom is worried about hygiene, spraying the budgie with luke-warm to wamrish water once a day will keep the mites away. Other things that will help are changing the newspaper lining in the bottom of the cage on a daily basis and keeping the rest of the budgies' supplies clean. I would also recommend not taking the budgie outside under an circumstances as this can expose the budgie to mites as well - you never know what's outside!

Yes. When you bring a bird home - no matter how tame it is in its first location - the stresses of a new environment are going to make it more hand-shy. I recommend only giving your new bird ambient attention for about three weeks after you've brought it home. Give it time to get settled and used to the new environment it's in and the new routine of living at your house.
okay thank you for your response! much appreciated! do you have any tips to get it settled in less stressfully? :)

budgies123

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I mostly will just repeat what others have said - budgies tend be rather shy and easily frightened, so, yes, your budgie will seem more hand shy when you bring it home. But, it's just temporary, you need to gentle and patient, and earn their trust; once you earn their trust, they are very friendly and curious little guys. The fact that he's stepping up already is a good sign; just don't expect him to want to step up for you right away in a new home, trust has to be earned with these guys.
Also you mentioned that you could pet him - budgies, in general, don't like being petted, at least not the way you would a dog or cat. If he allows you - try very gently stratching his cheeks. You will be able to tell right away if he likes it since he will fluff those feathers out to let you get in there and scratch more. If he seems frightened or doesn't enjoy it, don't push it, but if he's used to being touched/petted already, he may like that. He's much more likely to enjoy this than being petted.

Also, do not use the mite/lice sprays. It is very rare for a healthy bird to have mites or lice and if he does, it is safer for him to be treated by a vet.
i see i was wondering if already hand tame budgies are a bit easier to warm up to when i take him/her home? as for the first part, i meant that the budgie ive met that i will possibly take home is alreay hand tamed and will allow me to pet his back gently :lol:

RitaG

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rita Glasel
I would have everything in his cage all set up and ready for him to make himself at home. I would make it a quiet environment for the first day or two and let him have time to acclimate himself to his new surroundings. Talk to him in a soothing soft voice and reassure him that he's going to be the happiest bird in the world. I had the same issue with Skye when he first got here about a week and a half ago. He was hand tamed at the shop but needed a couple of days to get used to me. Now he can't wait for me to take him out of his cage. I found spray millet to be a big help. Lol

RitaG

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rita Glasel
I do think having him already hand tamed is a great advantage. You already have a head start. :)

Reggie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
do you have any tips to get it settled in less stressfully?

For all three of my budgies, I kept a blanket over three sides of the cage so they didn't feel exposed. I tried to only clean their supplies and cage once a day around the same time. I fed them at the same time every day. I made sure to spend lots of time in my room around them and talking to them. I began clicker training as soon as they were regularly vocalizing and playing with their toys and eating.
I didn't switch them over to a pellet diet immediately either - though I highly recommend it!

budgies123

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
thanks everybody! Its down to only a week until i can get him/her soon! BTW, any name suggestions? she/he will be any color but most likely blue. i also dislike "human names" although something cute like alice will work for me :) i prefer someting to do with the color or maybe personality or such as: chewy, bubble, winky, key lime, kiwi, etc. :bounce4:

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
I agree with what everyone else has said and also wanted to say do not use these either as they are toxic but still sold in some stores.
birdprotector.jpg

budgies123

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I agree with what everyone else has said and also wanted to say do not use these either as they are toxic but still sold in some stores.
View attachment 241701
i see i saw some of those in pet shops and the ingredients in them seemed to be poisonous. the smell started coming out even if it was sealed and in a box. imagine how toxic THAT would be! decided not to get it. :budgie::):D