• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New breeder

Newbird17

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kerry
Hi I have 2 untamed cockatiels male and female we have always wanted to breed them so we bought a nest box I think at least a week later to my shock and delight I found an egg that 1 egg turned into 5 well today I have started to hear peeping coming from the nest my question is as my pair are untame will they either abandon or harm them if I check on them

Birdlovesme

Sprinting down the street
Welcome to the fourms!
As for the babies, it's in their instinct to care for them, just don't disturb them while their being fed, etc.
Wait till the birds are out eating and check on them quickly.
We would love updates on your soon to be's!
:hello:

Newbird17

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kerry
:hi: Thank you for the advice it's quite difficult to check on them as daddy bird seems to always be in there like he's taken over the female role lol

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
:hi: Thank you for the advice it's quite difficult to check on them as daddy bird seems to always be in there like he's taken over the female role lol

That's pretty normal with cockatiels.... both parents share in the parental duties. Usually take turns caring for the eggs, then raise them together. Many other species, it's the female sitting on the nest and raising the chicks for the first few weeks, until they are old enough that the father can start feeding them to, but it really varies.

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Do you have experience in caring for chicks? If not....better read up just in case.

Newbird17

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kerry
@janicedyh thank you I have been reading up so much and taking advice from everyone I can and it's been really helpful my chick Oreo (that's what I have named him/her lol) seems to be doing really well and now mum and dad seem to be tolerating me going in to check on it and feeding them