• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New birds in established flock

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
A very unusual situation has arisen where a respected breeder has GTC babies almost fledged and has agreed to keep a pair for me as soon as they are sexed.

I actually called her to enquire about WBC's, since its my ambition to have 4 pairs of each, and I'm only halfway there ( and have all the accommodation lol).

So long story short I bought myself my New year's present. One male WBC baby which arrives Monday. The other baby pair will arrive later in the month ( after sexing by avian vet).

New baby will be kept separate in quarantine and for comfort in a separate cage/room in the house until the time is right for gradual introductions.

Naming: too early, thinking of OLA BOO-BOO, or Ningi. Both Nigerian in origin.

Lets see, maybe he will suggest something completely different on arrival.

Boldly going where few have gone before ( and kept their sanity!)
Gang.PNG .

The mad gang will be intrigued? Curious? MAD AS HELL?

JP

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Ummm, you actually have a bird called :wtf: Evil Eva???? :eek: :wideyed: :wideyed: :jawdrop1: :jawdrop1: :bag: :bag: :bag: :bag:

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Ummm, you actually have a bird called :wtf: Evil Eva???? :eek: :wideyed: :wideyed: :jawdrop1: :jawdrop1: :bag: :bag: :bag: :bag:
Yes havent you seen the Film Igor? he creates this female monster to be EVIL, but everything goes funnily wrong and she becomes Eva instead, a wanna be film starlet LOL

Igor (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Eva is Igors mate, so Evil it is lol. She's nobodys babe, she has a mind of her own, but she is not a mistress of the Dark Arts ( thats Spot!)

JP

Last edited:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
wow! gorgeous! :xflove:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Being the research geek that I am, I looked up caique species and maybe this will help claridfy Irishj9's post - Caique Species, Range & Habitat - Shady Pines Aviary I found it interesting and I don't even have caiques but I didn't know there were that many variations (if you will).

Last edited:

cupoftea

Real Name
Anna
Wow, I never heard of a GTC! Congratulations on your new birds! Haha, I am wondering what's the story behind the bird named Fingers? That's an unusual name too!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Wow, I never heard of a GTC! Congratulations on your new birds! Haha, I am wondering what's the story behind the bird named Fingers? That's an unusual name too!
Well Fingers was found by us before he was fully weaned. He was being handraised by the breeder. The SO and myself finished the job rather than lose him to another buyer. We desperately needed a mate for Cha-Cha who was already a year old and in love with me- still is. So this handrearing finish left him VERY tame and from early on he had a thing about human fingers.

We told visitors that he had a collection of human fingers, so they would leave him alone lol. Plus in a previous life I think he was Al Capone's sidekick. he is a true velcro birdie, but likes his fun rough. I can turn him upside down and launch him in the air backwards. He swerves round, shreiking his pretend annoyance, comes back instantly and begs for more LOL.

Fingers_back (2).jpg fingers_menu.jpg

I was worried he was too connected to humans to ever have a natural bird life, but what do I know. First fertile egg this year was his and Cha_Cha's

JP

Last edited:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I am quite certain you are not quite sane. At best you are a little askew of normal. :rofl: 8 teenage cakes :jawdrop1:

Congrats on your new babies.

firdy num num

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Ok so the new baby boy arrived this evening, after a long day travelling.

First impressions, a HUGE, chirping, playful, easygoing darling. He chirped at me all the way home from the airport. He eats a LOT, says the breeder LOL, and he took walnut pieces and grapes from my hand.

I turned him over on his back to read his leg ring, and he didnt protest at all. Just a playful very light grip on my finger with his beak.

Only a few minor streaks on his head, but the beheaviour is total baby. Already on his back in the cage, squeezing under the lowest end of the perch like a limbo dancer, then coming over for applause.

Definitely a charmer. Now wheres that weighing scales.

Pix tomorrow

snowbird

Meeting neighbors
I loves caiques. They are so unique. I never had a parrot that loved playing on his back as much. Mine is not quite one years old yet, he's calming down, but still a handful. I cannot imagine having eight!! I bought some zoo max puzzles, I am going to try to teach him some puzzles. Keep his brain busy.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Thanks. I will keep his brain busy. In fact I have started the boys on a little trick training routine. more as they progress