• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New bird mom!

Kate&Bean

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kate Ivey
I had posted over a year ago on here about wanting to get either zebra finches or a canary. I ended up getting a pair of zebras when I saw them randomly at our petsmart. They hardly ever have any !! Anywho I just wanted to introduce Frankie & Maude ! They’re sweet and curious and I love turning their home into a happy place for them to flit, hop, and peep about. We’ve been working on being calm around still hands, they’ve been doing well and eating seeds from my hand. Other than that it’s just getting to know one another lol BD3A9DB2-5288-49B3-A4A9-E8329131B065.jpeg DEE336F1-1DF1-4081-A1C9-E3205963B85E.jpeg B2F646D5-DC5D-4224-BCA4-E754E7E25C57.jpeg 1384E6C6-7E84-4ACF-9FD0-60D6DB86AC99.jpeg

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Aww they are so adorable!!! Love that first picture! :swoon:

Congrats! :starshower:

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
They’re beautiful! Congratulations! :cheer:

reetybird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Casper
I had posted over a year ago on here about wanting to get either zebra finches or a canary. I ended up getting a pair of zebras when I saw them randomly at our petsmart. They hardly ever have any !! Anywho I just wanted to introduce Frankie & Maude ! They’re sweet and curious and I love turning their home into a happy place for them to flit, hop, and peep about. We’ve been working on being calm around still hands, they’ve been doing well and eating seeds from my hand. Other than that it’s just getting to know one another lol View attachment 397919 View attachment 397920 View attachment 397921 View attachment 397922
Beautiful babies! Congratulations! May I see their setup?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my goodness they are so cute! I love Zebra Finches they just look so precious.

Kate&Bean

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kate Ivey
Beautiful babies! Congratulations! May I see their setup?
Sure ! They have a “starter home.” It’s 28 ish wide so I’d like to get something with more room. I have a pug too so I didn’t want to go right in with one where her face would be all in their business. She doesn’t notice them anymore and they look at her if she’s near and go about their business. If she barks at something though they do fly up to their higher branch.

They have a rope perch coming and I’d like to find another manzanita branch for them. I ordered fake eggs too so if that doesn’t do the trick their little house will have to go. They seem to like having a little place to hide and sleep. I just put that flat perch in and it feels giant to me but they seem to enjoy it.
They’re near a window in my bedroom and get a few slivers of sun in the morning but nothing that stays more than a few minutes. I have an open floor plan with the master downstairs so that seems to be the best for having them near the world but not too close that I can shut the door in the evening so they can rest and I can do human things.
We do veg plate and they enjoy that. I live alone so I’ve been getting salad kits and chopping up the kale and cabbage bits before I make it lol
They have a seed pellet mix for food and I got some of that lefebers so they aren’t eating just seeds but they would probably peck me to death in exchange for seeds.
I hope they’re happy. Frankie is always singing. They come and see me at the edge of their house when I put my face up to it. I’d like to let them out to fly a bit but I’m nervous about it. Bird proofing and I don’t want them to be scared.
That was a lot- you probably just wanted a picture

Attachments

Kate&Bean

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kate Ivey
Oh ! For their toys they like their shiny bell and checking themselves out in the mirror. They’re getting bored of their little preening strings but they do munch on their kabob a bit. It’s hard to find finch friendly toys !!

UrbanSylvanus

Strolling the yard
If it helps, my Java finch’s favorite toy is this vine ball stuffed with paper streamers
1638264863048.jpeg
She loves ripping out the paper streamers, nibbling on them, and then dropping them wherever she pleases (including her water bowl and turning the water a rainbow of colors:roflmao:) She’ll keep doing this until only a few loops of the original vine are left.
It might encourage nesting behavior in your pair, just as an FYI