• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New baby Rainbow

Diesel13

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Miranda
Congrats on your adorable new baby!

The cage you have him in now I would say is too small for the long run. It works as a baby cage, but eventually you should move him up into something bigger. A standard flight cage is the minimum size I'd keep a lorikeet or similar sized bird in. They just have so much energy and while you say he'll be out most of the time, you just never know how the future will play out. A time may come when he has to be caged longer than usual and a small cage just won't do.

Just to give you an example of a flight cage: http://www.hayneedle.com/product/hqwroughtironflightcage.cfm?ltype=child&tid=ALLB001-3

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:welave:

TWR

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm glad you upgraded him to a bigger cage, but I do agree with Diesel13 that you should upgrade him again, when you can afford to, to something similar to the size cage he linked. Have a look at cages on Pet Supply | GTmall Online You can often get good prices there for larger cages.

Hope you have lots of fun with your new baby

Last edited:

Bellamingo

Sitting on the front steps
Definitely going to be moving him into the big cage and switching the cockatiels about :) we just felt it's too big for him right now, and since we're taking him house sitting for 5 weeks it would be really difficult/impossible to get the big cage in my little hatchback. I just couldn't stand him being in the budgie cage when he's growing so quickly! God knows how the breeder thought he could live in a cardboard box for two weeks :/