• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New additions 2021

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
@BrianB-- Please pardon my ignorance [I know you will! :rolleyes: ] -- What variety is the one on the lower Right-- red facial bars and red shoulders?
Miss my macaws...
That is Freya - a green-winged macaw. She hatched in October of 2020 and went to her new home in April of this year. It's not a great picture of her because she's going through a rough molt and looks ragged. Here is a picture of her from the day she left home. Both of her parents are very large birds and she's just as big. She is a beautiful shade of red with a large swatch of blue and green on her wings.

71383BF5-3050-41C3-AD6A-E73ABB4EE8AE.JPG

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That is Freya - a green-winged macaw. She hatched in October of 2020 and went to her new home in April of this year. It's not a great picture of her because she's going through a rough molt and looks ragged. Here is a picture of her from the day she left home. Both of her parents are very large birds and she's just as big. She is a beautiful shade of red with a large swatch of blue and green on her wings.

View attachment 397511
Woah! What a gorgeous picture of her!

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
She used to spread her wings at me and try to be intimidating. I would tell her, "Yes, you're a big scary bird." and then I would grab her and kiss her beak. That evolved into me saying Big Bird and she would spread her wings wide for me.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Freya is indeed magnificent - wait until she is mature, she will be a sight to behold.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It’s official, Chichi is flying. He’s been leaping from the island and crashing into my chest while I’m trying to feed him. Usually trying to beat me to death with his wings. Today he took his first flight and it was a disaster. He flew across the living room and crashed into a side table where he knocked a large glass vase over. Luckily it fell between the table and the wall otherwise there would have been glass all over the place. At least it was easy to clean up where it landed. He’s also started actively fighting us on hand feeding. Freya would eat some then hold the rest in her mouth and spit the rest all over. Chich will grab the syringe with his foot and push it away. He’s taking one hand feeding a day now but screaming for food the rest of the day. He’s been picking at pellets and veggies but not eating what I think he should. He lost about 100 grams then out 25 back on overnight. I know he’s where he should be but just like a parent, always concerned.

Attachments

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It’s official, Chichi is flying. He’s been leaping from the island and crashing into my chest while I’m trying to feed him. Usually trying to beat me to death with his wings. Today he took his first flight and it was a disaster. He flew across the living room and crashed into a side table where he knocked a large glass vase over. Luckily it fell between the table and the wall otherwise there would have been glass all over the place. At least it was easy to clean up where it landed. He’s also started actively fighting us on hand feeding. Freya would eat some then hold the rest in her mouth and spit the rest all over. Chich will grab the syringe with his foot and push it away. He’s taking one hand feeding a day now but screaming for food the rest of the day. He’s been picking at pellets and veggies but not eating what I think he should. He lost about 100 grams then out 25 back on overnight. I know he’s where he should be but just like a parent, always concerned.
What a handsome little troublemaker. So glad that glass didn't get everywhere be more careful bud.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hang in there Chichi! You’ll get the hang of it…if you don’t break all of Brian’s thing’s beforehand!

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Nothing cuter than a baby macaw face. What a cutie Chichi is.

JaKhu has knocked over the parrot tower (it's 6 foot tall) 3 times so far. She'd get flapping & swaying back & forth fast (her way of dancing) & over it'd go. It crashed down onto a stand knocking things all over with her still hanging onto a perch or the boing. She'd look up at me as if to say "what happened". We got different wheels for it & moved them out further to the corners. So far that's kept her from knocking it over. The last time she knocked it over she managed to take flight back to her cage. It's only the 2nd time she's flown. I keep trying to get her to fly, by tossing her off my hand a few feet or so from her cage, but she won't go.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Chichi is fully feathered and well into weaning. Where he was taking 2 or more 60ml syringes each meal, now he's taking 2 syringes maybe once or twice a day. If he doesn't want it he pushes it away, or as Freya did, he will hold it in his mouth and then spit it all over the place. He did lose 100 grams but put it back on in a few days. I want him to build up his chest muscles because he's thin, but it will happen as he flys more. I ran into the vet who did the surgery on his toe and she said he looks amazing. When the time comes for his wellness exam I'll make sure she's the one who sees him.

The family who was originally going to take him then changed their mind, then decided they wanted him again have completely flaked out on me. It's a shame when people do that, but I think I've found someone else for Chichi and for Penny.

Both Christopher and Poppy are doing well. Chich screams and Christopher tells him to shut up. I told her I would win her over and we're getting there. She lets me scratch her head and will try to regurgitate for me. I told her that's the sign of true love and she can't deny it. Poppy is loud but is a cuddle bug with me. She did see me holding Christopher and screamed at me, so Christopher told her to shut up.

Chichi.jpg

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Chichi is fully feathered and well into weaning. Where he was taking 2 or more 60ml syringes each meal, now he's taking 2 syringes maybe once or twice a day. If he doesn't want it he pushes it away, or as Freya did, he will hold it in his mouth and then spit it all over the place. He did lose 100 grams but put it back on in a few days. I want him to build up his chest muscles because he's thin, but it will happen as he flys more. I ran into the vet who did the surgery on his toe and she said he looks amazing. When the time comes for his wellness exam I'll make sure she's the one who sees him.

The family who was originally going to take him then changed their mind, then decided they wanted him again have completely flaked out on me. It's a shame when people do that, but I think I've found someone else for Chichi and for Penny.

Both Christopher and Poppy are doing well. Chich screams and Christopher tells him to shut up. I told her I would win her over and we're getting there. She lets me scratch her head and will try to regurgitate for me. I told her that's the sign of true love and she can't deny it. Poppy is loud but is a cuddle bug with me. She did see me holding Christopher and screamed at me, so Christopher told her to shut up.

View attachment 398988
He's such a beauty,he's really grown and flourished with you. So sorry that those folks flaked on you but glad you have homes in mind for both of them.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think I've found the perfect person for Penny. I'm part of the Red Fronted Macaw group on Facebook and one of the members posted that his male RFM had passed suddenly. Yesterday he reached out to me through my website and I put it together that it was the same person. He lives locally and I much prefer that to shipping her cross country. The other person interested in Penny lives in Indianapolis. There is no easy way to get her there without going through Minneapolis or Detroit. Some of those flights have the pet sitting in cargo overnight and it's not something I'm willing to do this time of year. Both of those cities have extremely cold winters and without personally knowing how the cargo facility takes care of live animals, it's not a risk I'm going to take. I'm willing to send a chick in the spring before the heat arrives here in Phoenix, but not in the winter.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here is Poppy and I sitting outside for a while today. It was in the low 70's so we were only outside about 15 minutes before she let me know she wanted to go back in. Their room is set at 78 - 80 so the 72 outside didn't work for her. She did cuddle with me for a few minutes so it wasn't a total loss on my part.

IMG_4318.jpeg IMG_4321.jpeg

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here is Poppy and I sitting outside for a while today. It was in the low 70's so we were only outside about 15 minutes before she let me know she wanted to go back in. Their room is set at 78 - 80 so the 72 outside didn't work for her. She did cuddle with me for a few minutes so it wasn't a total loss on my part.

View attachment 398992 View attachment 398993
She is absolutely gorgeous! I just can't get enough of her beauty :heart:

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
She is absolutely gorgeous! I just can't get enough of her beauty
Her coloring is just stunning. I've never seen a scarlet that's more tangerine than red. I wish I could take her into work with me so she could get a little more socialization, but she nipped someone and I was asked to not bring her back. Oh well, what can you do?