• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Addition

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabernet

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Robin Abernethy
Thought I'd show you guys the new ball python I'm getting in about a week and a half! :heart:

Here's an adorable picture with his brother! Mine is on the right:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
you know snakes are not really my thing - but he is really pretty!

how big will he get?

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
:omg: So pretty!!! and snakes aren't my thing either :hehe:

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Ball python's are so neat. I'm not really into snakes, but if I were to have one it would be a ball python. Not an albino though, every albino snake/animal I've met hasn't been very nice to me. The worst was an albino reticulated python (?). Good luck with your new family member. He sure is pretty.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:eek: I was expecting a parrot for some reason.:faint:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I really like the last photo.

rabernet

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Robin Abernethy
you know snakes are not really my thing - but he is really pretty!

how big will he get?
Ball pythons are a small constrictor - he'll get to be about 4 feet long and about 4 -5 lbs. I'm glad you think he's pretty, even if snakes aren't your thing! :laughing12:

:omg: So pretty!!! and snakes aren't my thing either :hehe:
Thank you too! :D

Ball python's are so neat. I'm not really into snakes, but if I were to have one it would be a ball python. Not an albino though, every albino snake/animal I've met hasn't been very nice to me. The worst was an albino reticulated python (?). Good luck with your new family member. He sure is pretty.
Awww, that's too bad about bad experiences with the albino's. I wasn't really fond of albino's myself, until I started to see the reduced pattern ones (which he is - lack of spots in his side pattern). I still don't care for many of the albino combos (combos are two or more color and/or pattern mutations bred together to create a combination of both mutations), but if I can produce nice babies like him, I'll be happy!

:eek: I was expecting a parrot for some reason.:faint:
:rofl: Well, this IS the "Other than Feathers Fairway!" :rofl:

I really like the last photo.
I like it too - it won the Ball Python of the Month contest on my ball python forum!

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Very pretty! I am jealous - I WANT him!!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Big congrats, he's beautiful! Does he have a name yet and how do you tell him apart from his brother??

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
Nice looking snake as far as snakes go. I couldn't keep one though, if I needed to feed live creatures to it. Hopefully if you must have a snake, you will feed frozen rodents to it (those put down in a humane way after having lived a decent life for awhile). The shear terror that little rodents must experience when dropped into a snake pen (with no chance of an escape) just makes my blood boil. JMO.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Ball pythons are a small constrictor - he'll get to be about 4 feet long and about 4 -5 lbs. I'm glad you think he's pretty, even if snakes aren't your thing! :laughing12:
that's a good size for inside - you'll have to post more pics as he grows :)

rabernet

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Robin Abernethy
Pretty!!

*Congrats on the win!
Thank you!

Very pretty! I am jealous - I WANT him!!
Thanks! Albinos have become rather affordable (in comparison to their prices a few years ago) From a few thousand dollars each to under $500 each now.

Fancy fancy! :p Congratulations! :D

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Thank you!

Big congrats, he's beautiful! Does he have a name yet and how do you tell him apart from his brother??
See his first neck stripe in the second picture looks kind of like a "P"? You can see it in the brother's picture too.

Omg!! So jealous! I love ball pythons. Gorgeous snake. :)
Well, we can alway remedy that! :p

Nice looking snake as far as snakes go. I couldn't keep one though, if I needed to feed live creatures to it. Hopefully if you must have a snake, you will feed frozen rodents to it (those put down in a humane way after having lived a decent life for awhile). The shear terror that little rodents must experience when dropped into a snake pen (with no chance of an escape) just makes my blood boil. JMO.
This one will be fed frozen thawed. My others do feed live. If it's any condolence, it's very quick, the domestic rats bred today don't have in innate fear of snakes, in fact, they'll come up and sniff at them and then start to groom themselves if the snake isn't interested. Do I feel good about it or get any enjoyment out of it? No - but I do have the satisfaction of knowing that my snakes (and the rats that I raise) are both very well cared for. I do also place several of the rats that I breed in pet homes as well. My veterinarian refers clients who are looking for pet rats to me, because he knows how well I care for them (even breeder rats go to the vet when they get a sniffle, and one even had surgery to remove a tumor).

The staff jokes at the number of animals on my record - dog, cats, bird, rats, snakes - all of them get veterinary care as needed.

that's a good size for inside - you'll have to post more pics as he grows :)
I'll do that! Thanks!

Angelicarboreals

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
Oh, I am soooo jealous!!!! :omg:

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
"............This one will be fed frozen thawed. My others do feed live. If it's any condolence, it's very quick, the domestic rats bred today don't have in innate fear of snakes, in fact, they'll come up and sniff at them and then start to groom themselves if the snake isn't interested. Do I feel good about it or get any enjoyment out of it? No - but I do have the satisfaction of knowing that my snakes (and the rats that I raise) are both very well cared for.................."
Interesting, I did not know that domestic bred rats have no innate fear of snakes.

Still, I personally have a problem with a live creature being dropped into a snake enclosure with no chance of escape. To me, that is not cool but cruel. I personally think snakes should not be kept as pets nor sold as pets but simply admired in the wild or on film. But again that is just me & my opinion.

Confession: I did keep snakes and raise mice/rats for them when I was a kid - for a brief time. That was when I was fascinated by them and when I did not really have the heart for creatures, as I do now. I personally am ashamed for what I did back then. JMO.

Last edited:

Terri

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Terri
:cool7: Gorgeous! I always like animals that are a little unique looking and you do have a beauty. We have contimplated getting a snake but are a bit uncomfortable about the feeding. I completely understand about the food chain and they need to eat ... it just takes all I have to feed the poor little crickets to my lizards.

Congrats & enjoy your new addition!

rabernet

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Robin Abernethy
Oh, I am soooo jealous!!!! :omg:
Thank you!

Interesting, I did not know that domestic bred rats have no innate fear of snakes.

Still, I personally have a problem with a live creature being dropped into a snake enclosure with no chance of escape. To me, that is not cool but cruel. I personally think snakes should not be kept as pets nor sold as pets but simply admired in the wild or on film. But again that is just me & my opinion.

Confession: I did keep snakes and raise mice/rats for them when I was a kid - for a brief time. That was when I was fascinated by them and when I did not really have the heart for creatures, as I do now. I personally am ashamed for what I did back then. JMO.
I understand and respect your right to have and express your opinion, even though it differs from mine. :)

:cool7: Gorgeous! I always like animals that are a little unique looking and you do have a beauty. We have contimplated getting a snake but are a bit uncomfortable about the feeding. I completely understand about the food chain and they need to eat ... it just takes all I have to feed the poor little crickets to my lizards.

Congrats & enjoy your new addition!
It's not something that I enjoy, but my snakes have to eat. I also eat meat, and an animal had to give their life for me to eat. My dog and cats also eat meat, the process of killing their food has just been sterilized for me (ie, I don't have to see it).

Kingsnakes and cornsnakes are great starter snakes for people, and most of them readily accept frozen/thawed if you're thinking about getting a snake one day! I have four kingsnakes and three milksnakes - who all eat frozen/thawed.

Status
Not open for further replies.