• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New 4 week old Cockatiel

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I see what you mean. In the video it does look like he wants out rather than being scared. Maybe you can try target training while he is in the cage. This way, when he learns to target well, it will be easier to get him to go where you want him to outside the cage. Also, make sure he is hungry enough to go back inside his cage, and reward him (or lure him) with some millet.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Also, I just saw that he was in an aviary. It does seem like he misses the big space and probably being around all those other birds.

Suzy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Suzanne
Definitely more active haha gotta get use to it, amazes me how much energy they have

And i will give target training a shot, i took him to a small room, moving the cage was rough so off to a bad start then he finally noticed the door was open and shot out he doesn't explore though, he just sits where ever he lands, he also did this the first time he got out the other day.
Left him for a while, lots of millet offered and also from being distracted with a mirror looking at hiself i was able to pet him haha it was so cute. Getting him back in was a big pain, took 2 hrs with a little gaps in between of "ugh i give up" haha
Got him to step up on a perch and then back in the cage. Soo might not do that again, frustrating for everyone
I think i just need to take a few steps back and get him around within the cage like you said. Target training or even stepping up on the perch but in the cage

I really appreciate all you replies, thank you :)

lesliekiki

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leslie
Hi, I was just thinking maybe you should take a few of the toys out just to be on the safe side. Being he is kinda clumsy with one wing clip and bumping into things... You can add them back later. i also read the one wing clip is a little dangerous. With a gentle 2 wing clip they can balance on their perch and they should be able to glide gently for a safe landing if they get out.
Also i think you mentioned the man clipped him when you picked him up. So not only is he dealing with a new home, he's dealing with a new way to get around. So maybe he is really nervous. Meantime sounds like your making GREAT progress!!! He's so cute too! Keep us posted.