• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Never Underestimate Your Own Aviary -Article Share

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Important information.

birdlover123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nick
Some of the points in that article struck painful chords with me. Water features, wrong plants, wrong mix of species and of course predators have all featured in my learning curve of keeping an aviary. I wrote a few articles about each of these in the hope that other aviary owners will have a less stressful time. If you fancy a read, check them out here (scroll down a bit for the 'aviary pitfalls' articles).

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Wonderful article. The item that hit home for me was legbands getting caught. I have an appointment in 3 weeks for all 4 babies to get their annual bloodwork, smears, etc done along with their quarterly nail trims and checkups. I've already added getting each of them microchipped, but now I'm adding leg band removal to the appointment schedule too.

Anyone that thinks getting a companion bird as an inexpensive "pet" needs to do a whole lot more research before running down to the local pet shop!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Some of the points in that article struck painful chords with me. Water features, wrong plants, wrong mix of species and of course predators have all featured in my learning curve of keeping an aviary. I wrote a few articles about each of these in the hope that other aviary owners will have a less stressful time. If you fancy a read, check them out here (scroll down a bit for the 'aviary pitfalls' articles).
I read some, @Birdlover, but I can't understand why you continued to let the mismatched species kill one another? Had to stop reading, sorry.

Trigger Warning, some of the photos are very upsetting.

It is reminder of things I should be careful for. I hope it helps some other members also.

Never Underestimate the Dangers in Your Own Aviary! | Laraine's Lady Gouldians
Thanks Natalie!! Always a good reminder.