• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nesting wren

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
There is a wren nested on one of my speakers on my back deck. I didn't want to get too close, but I got a picture. I named her Abby.

Attachments

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
cool

Crow lover

Sitting on the front steps
I am not sure if I should congratulate you or if sympathies are in order! A wild bird that nests nests so close is a beautiful experience, but you worry like crazy about them! A pair of Black Phoebes raise 2 nests of babies under my carport every year. I can't hardly relax until they leave the nest and are flying good on their own! I'm not familiar with wrens nesting habits, but that nest seems so exposed. Could you hang a couple of thick hanging plants a foot or two in front of them to hide them a little more? Crows, jays, and Magpies will eat eggs or baby birds if the see thout in the open. DON'T HATE THEM FOR IT THOUGH! Their babies need to be fed every few minutes from sunrise to sunset. The babies need protein which is insect. It takes lots of insects to keep 5 babies healthy and full. Their babies need as much meat or protein as hawks babies do. Corvids being as intellegent as they are figured out how to get enough meat like hawks do by killing birds. They just manage to do it without the beak and talons hawks have to kill with. If you buy a good high protein dry dog food and soak it in water, and put it far away from the wren's nest, that will help the other birds feed their nestlings and leave your wren's a little safer. Goodluck and enjoy!

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
Thanks for the info, we keep lots of feeders including sewit (sp?) around. I can't get too close or mama bird dive bombs me, so I can't really put anything around the nest. Thankfully we do have a lattice sun awning over the deck which provides more cover. It rained all day yesterday so I was able to get the lattice up from the roof and she didn't get too upset.