• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nervous conure

Lovebirdlover

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kennedy
Ive had my conure Ice for about 8 years now and she has always been very timid and shy. She does not act like other conures, tied to your shoulder and loving to play all the time. She is a very laid back bird who just wants to hang out on her cage and observe rather than be involved. Although she doesn't like to hang out with me, she will step up and tolerate being grabbed/handled but she always wants to go back to her cage after a few minutes. She is hesitant to really socialize at all. She does not bite and does not show any signs of fear, she's just anti-social :p

Anyone know what I can do/ if i can do anything to help her relax a bit? I love her the way she is but i would love to involve her more in what I do around the house. I have perches in almost every room to bring her with me but she always tries to fly away and make her way back to her cage

Any help is appreciated!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Have you tried chamomile tea?

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Can you move her cage around? Kind of remind me of Moki. Just leave her alone and she is content to hang out.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Target and clicker training can help. Have you tried those techniques?

Agree that if you can, move the cage so she can still be "safe" but still kind of be with you.

Lovebirdlover

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kennedy
No i have not tried tea! How long do I steep it for before giving it to her? (cool of course!)

i have her in a A&E flight cage and she also has a 18x18 play top cage in our living room. I live in a one bedroom basement suite so i can't be dragging her around the house in her big flight cage but i try to bring her with me to her play cage as much as I can. When transporting her she flaps so much she looses her balance and falls off, making her more nervous but i can't get her to stop flapping, i even have tried gloves that she can properly grip but she flaps and gains lift then falls to the floor :/ I unfortunately had to clip her feathers because the smallest noise would spook her and she'd fly into walls etc.

When i first got her i used clicker/ target training to make her accustomed to me and i also taught her some tricks like spinning around and waving her foot using clicker training. I've tried it recently and she will touch it once but then get lazy and give up and stare at me like "get better treats then maybe ill try":nana:

Its so weird she just napped in my hand but tomorrow my presence will be unwanted :shrug3: