• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nervous about this, but, we are bringing home an Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jally

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
on Friday. :omg: I won't go into too much detail because this is my husband's aunt's bird and I won't slander her on a public forum. But, this little girl is in desperate need of a new home. So we are going to try. I don't know much about her, except that she is about 5-10 years old, fully feathered which is amazing, and is a girl and her name is Sophie. Ugh! I am a nervous wreck, my tummy hasn't stopped gurgling since we made the decision. I know enough not to act nervous around her, though. :cool: I'll play it cool, then collapse in another room :lol:

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You'll be fine just take it slow.:)I think it's wonderful you are opening your home to her.Sounds like she needs it.I can't wait to hear more about her.What kind of amazon?

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
:hug8: Aww, thanks for trying to help this sweetie out. Will be following the progress and seeing what good stuff the experts here have to pass on :hug8: Good luck with it all, I know you'll do fabulously! You've got all the time in the world with her, I know she'll appreciate you and your efforts, even if she may not show it at first :hug8:

MessyBeaks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Leigh
Amazons really do make wonderful pets! Don't buy into the hype - they're just "large and in charge", nothing menacing. Good for you for doing the right thing, please keep us posted and we'll try to help you with the transition any way we can!

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
:omg: Sherry, we are here for ya girlfriend. I have to believe that doing the right thing will count for something and remember that sometimes your a destination and sometimes your a bridge.

Ginger

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
You'll be fantastic! :starshower: What kind of amazon is she?

Amazons are easy-peasy. They show how they feel and mean what they show. They also tend to be absurdly food motivated and willing to learn and cooperate as much as is necessary once they understand there's something in it for them!

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
I keep thinking about that Ginger. Even if we aren't the right fit, anything is better than what she has now. This little girl hasn't been out of her too tiny of a cage in years. Hasn't seen sunshine before... Heartbreaking. Hubby's aunt is scared of her and Sophie is a little destructive. However, she doesn't have the appropriate toys.

She has a yellow spot on her forehead; is that a yellow headed Amazon? My head is spinning from all the research I've been doing. I feel like one of those people on the Bing commercials! LOL Amazon. Amazon Jungle. Jungle. Jungle Toys. Toys. Toys R Us. :rofl:

Thank you all. I will be posting HELP ME!!!!! threads, I am sure of that!

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
Sherry, you'll be just fine.
My Chico came to me in the same way. Bad conditions at a friend's relatives. Didn't even really know what type of bird I was getting. The poor thing had never been out of the tiny cage or had a bath, diet was horrible.
At that point, I'd only had my Goffin and some budgies. I didn't know very much, just had been lucky with all my birds.
Chico just changed my life because he needed so much help.
I had to learn SOOO much and I came to love him so much. It was the best thing ever to happen to me.
I know you are scared - so was I. But the poor bird is even more scared and confused. You will both learn together.
Amazons are so food motivated you have a real edge, and they are lots of fun.
We are always here for questions and can't wait to hear more on this adventure. Congratulations !

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Oh you will do great! What an amazing thing you are doing giving this poor baby a new chance on life! I can't wait to hear more!

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Sherry, you all will be just fine. The best thing about amazon's is that they are very easy to read, they say what they mean and mean what they say, lol. Take your time. Watch her posture and body language. Find out her favorite treat and for the first couple of weeks bribe the heck out of her for everything she does that is positive. You can worry about dietary changes later. You really want to develop a bond of trust with her.

Like all birds, zon's are very, very SMART and catch on quickly. They are usually very food oriented so that will help. Because of being brought into a new situation, she'll probably be a little docile first, checking things out. Use this to your advantage. After that, she'll probably try testing you by lunging and trying to bite, wanting to judge your reaction to her behavior. Try not to cringe, but do let her know, firmly, that that type of behavior is not acceptable. Be fair, firm and consistant. She'll catch on fast.

I am so very, very excited for you and soooooo jealous. I just love zon's and would so have a houseful of them if I were able to. Feel free to pm me, email me or even call me if you have any questions of need someone just to listen. Good luck, and thank you for bringing this special creature into your home. You are an Angel!!!

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for taking her into your home, even though you are unsure.

When we adopted Wasabi, we knew he probably had a sad existence, so I would talk to him in low tones, move slowly around him (like no sudden moves) and tell him he's a good boy, even if he's just sitting on his perch, doing nothing in particular, as in, 'Hi my good boy Wasabi! How's it going?' Stuff like that.

I've had my share (still do) of issues with him, and if you ever happen to read about it, don't let that scare you. I think him being a boy makes a difference in behavior. Aren't all men trouble? :lol:Plus, he's about 20 and has baggage.

I wish I had known about this board when we got him. I am glad you have it now. Good luck! You'll be great! :hug8:

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
wow your real lucky hun they are the greatest
do not push her let her come to you dont force anything build a good strong trust read what i had to do with mango
get her in a big cage lots of toys give her s[ace let her come to you it will take time but its worth it
i never took Mango out of or off any thing that is his its payed off ok
brib her but dont touch till she shows she wants you and id she shows shes going to bit a real sharp NO i dont beleave in letting a dog or any animal bit you i show i dont aprove if i have done nothing to earn it
but let her decide when shes ready for you her body will tell you back off any signs she shows frathers ruffeled tail faned watch the eyes they give lots of warnings so look for it
give her respect and you will be rewarded
enjoy her she will be great huhs for giving her this chance but please dont rush her

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
Thank you thank you!!! :hug8: I :heart: you all!!! That is one question I have. You all are saying not to push, I won't. I always let the bird dictate how fast or slow we go. But, how soon can I get her into a different cage? I was thinking of putting the new cage next to hers, but when do I do that? As soon as she gets here so she can be acclimated to it right off the bat?

I read that Amazons like to climb, so I was hoping to make it into a play area at first. Maybe connect it somehow to her old cage for her to climb to and around... Is this going to far too fast?

So many questions going thru my head already and she isn't even here yet! LOL

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Congrats! I'm betting you'll do just fine. I know nothing of Amazons though so I'll let the pros help you :D

The Cozy Nestbox

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
Congratulations! I am a die-hard fan of all Amazons and think they are truly wonderful birds. Such joyful little souls.

Speaking generally, and there will always be exceptions, Amazons tend to be emotionally pretty hardy and IME cope well to change. This does not mean that you still won't want to allow your Amazon some time to settle in, but her body language will tell you when she is comfortable and when she is not.

As for moving her into a new cage, I would probably let her stay in her old cage for a couple of days with the new one nearby so that she can observe it. Perhaps move a toy from her old cage into her new cage and let her see it there for a day or two before moving her into it. I think the important thing is to give her one or two things in the new cage that are familiar to her. Her favorite perch, for instance, should definitely go in the new cage....at least that is what I would do.

And again, congrats!

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
first thing id do when i bring her home is put here where shes going to stay for a while if posable id open her cage door with her new cage in front of hers open that door to put food and treats in it water and walk away let her be depending on time of day or night just let her be i did that with mango didnt go near except to feed and water didnt wory about cleaning cage till he was off playing i talked to him all the time i was in sight but didnt try to near him yes i wanted to but held back cage cleaning can wait her getting comfortable is most important her gaining your trust id first ok i have no regrets on how i did it it sure has paid of he trust me and no mater what or how i treat him he has no fears and beleave me i do things that are considered a no no you dont do that to a bird but i do , and he has no fears give time to build trust
hope what i said about cages you understand also hope your able to just leave doors open plenty of toys things for her to do and lots of talking
hugssssss

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
Oh, yes. I totally understand Doll! Thanks so much. And thanks Heather and Kelly! If I forget anyone, I am sorry. I am reading and taking notes, but I think I will just print this whole thread out :D

Our birds have their doors open all day unless we are sleeping or out of the house. I think I know where I want to put her. And she will have a froggy friend...wondering if she will like the sound of flowing water.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I would be very, very careful with her and the Littles. I would not let them interact right now, if ever, together. Accidents happen in the blink of an eye.

Ginger

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
I wouldnt put here in same room with the others not till bonding is there i wouldnt take the chance she just might like one of your others and never bond ot could start a fight
mind you i have never had 2 or more birds so i could be wrong butid have a place just for her and bond then change things as you see fit
i do know your going to love her ond if done right your going to have a friend for life as they sure do make great companions

hugssssssss thanks for showing her what it is to have love and friendship

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
Oh, no she won't be in the same room with the littles. Not even the Suns. :highfive:

Status
Not open for further replies.