• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need your opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

aisia

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Teresa
On July 1st, I put Murray's collar on him and have kept it on since. I originally put it on because he was pulling his pins under his neck and making himself bleed bad. Well now his pins are all feathered out under his neck. So I am not sure if I should keep him collared or just let him be?

Since he's been collared he has grown 2 tail feathers and some small shoulder feathers. If I take the collar off I know he will pick them out. But I also don't want him to have to live with a collar on just so he can have feathers. I love him naked just as much as I would feathered.

I am at a loss, if I leave him in his collar, he will have feathers and will not bleed and if I take it off he will be naked but probably more comfy.

He is one of those birds that his vet even thinks will always pluck no matter what.

So I am asking all of you what you think.

Featherpaws

Jogging around the block
i would leave the collar on if he is making himself bleed. it will prevent the chance of infection

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
it depends on the bird as long as he is eating good and not strugling with it i would leave it on but the minute he strugles i would take it off i have had a plucker for 11 years and he was only collared twice he does not like it

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
How does he feel about the collar? If he can act normally, leave it on, if it makes it difficult to do normal behaviors, take it off.

aisia

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Teresa
So, I decided to take the collar off. It didn't interfere but it did change his personality. With it on, he would just sleep and not talk. Now that it is off, he is dancing, talking, etc...basically back to his old self.

I will keep an eye out and if he makes himself bleed, I will re-collar him but if he doesn't I don't think I will.

He will probably always pluck but to have to wear a collar forever would be awful I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.