• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

need urgent help 2 6 wk old green cheeks

Mccookrem

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rick
I was offered to adopt a green cheek and american dilute this week. The breeder sold parents and is not raising birds anymore. She took them away from parents 3 days ago at 6 wks. I have been trying to handfeed but they are fighting me. I have been getting 4 to 5 cc in them each feeding. They do not act hungry no head bobbing no sounds. They look healthy but not eating well. Can they survive at 6 wks without formula and will they start to eat other foods. Any help would be appreciated.

Bird_lover6

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JoJo
Oh, dear! Are the birds moving about and acting healthy, otherwise? I think you need someone to help you with these birds!

Mccookrem

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rick
they are acting fine, the local bird farm told me to offer seed, pellets, apple, cherios and let them start eating. I worry cause my other conure ate for 9 wks.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
They are far too young to wean and should be eating like little dinosaurs.

@Mockinbirdiva

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
This really is urgent. Their health can go downhill quickly because they are so small. If I understand this correctly….. these two babies were being parent raised and NOT hand fed by the person who owned the parents. At this age, if that is the case it would definitely be difficult to get them to accept hand feedings. However, if you are in fact able to get them to take 4- 5 cc's at a time then I would give them more frequent feedings to make sure they are getting what they need. How exactly are you feeding them? With a syringe? What is the temperature you are feeding at? Do you use a thermometer? What is your formula? Between feedings you can provide a dish with soft foods like cooked sweet potato and soaked pellets. There are a variety of foods that can be provided not just what I mentioned but they will need to be soft. Only leave these foods for 30 minutes and take it out if they aren't eating it. You don't want it to spoil and each time you will have to prepare fresh soft food. I weaned my babies on Zupreem Natural colored pellets soaked with hot water to soften them faster. If the breeder you got these babies from is an experienced feeder then I would immediately contact them and ask them to wean these babies for you.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
It is also imperative that you keep these two warm. Please provide more details so we can help you. If you cook we'll work up a recipe if they will pick at some food in a flat dish but until then keep up with the feedings and provide the soft soaked pellets as well as soft vegetables ( sweet potato, broccoli, butternut squash, cooked quinoa)

Mccookrem

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rick
I am feeding every 5 hours. using exact formula and syringe, infered temp between 105 and 110. changing out soft foods all day. I am getting around 5 cc per feeding in each. they are moving about climbing and having good poops. I got ahold of breeder she is out of business says keep doing what I am doing.

Bird_lover6

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JoJo
What a horrible breeder. :(

I wish you and your birdies all the best. Have you named them yet? What are they "living in" for the time being?

Also, are the birds fully covered in feathers? If they are fully covered, are kept in an enclosed box (like a clear critter box with proper ventilation), and have each other for warmth, they should be ok. Still... :shake: I would want to do that to your breeder.

Mccookrem

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rick
named them lemon and lime, have all thier feathers in small cage with nest box at night big cage during the day. I think they are in shock of being pulled at 6 wks. The breeder is poor young girl doing it for all the wrong reasons. She just got pregnant with 4th kid at 22. When I was there they had 10 bulldogs they were selling too. Maybe no job.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Best of luck with your lil ones :)

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I am feeding every 5 hours. using exact formula and syringe, infered temp between 105 and 110. changing out soft foods all day. I am getting around 5 cc per feeding in each. they are moving about climbing and having good poops. I got ahold of breeder she is out of business says keep doing what I am doing.
Your original post made it sound like you were having difficulty getting any food in them . This post sounds like you are able to maintain a schedule of feedings with proper temperature … which is very important… 105- 107 preferred - 110 is pretty hot and you don't want to burn their crop. And this post makes it sound like they are doing well. If you are able to weigh them to make sure they are not losing any weight that would be great. Photos would be great of them and what you are keeping them in would be nice too. I'm happy that breeder decided to quit and that's about all I can say on that. Keep up the good work, keep us posted on their progress or if you need any other suggestions.

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
They are so sweet! Good luck to you and them!:hug8:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
They are adorable.

Sorry I don't have any advice.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
They definitely look frightened in the first photo as should be expected if these two were just pulled from their nest box and parents this week. You would expect them to be slow to accept the hand feeding and hopefully their response in feeding is improving as they become more accustomed to you feeding them. At this age they may not explore the soft foods you are giving them and part of that will also have to do with them being timid at this point. I would suggest feeding them with lower light in the room until they are more adjusted to you but be sure you can see well. Once they've been fed let them relax in the safety of their enclosure. I think they are too young to be put in a big cage. They still need to feel safe and too much of an open space will make them feel vulnerable. This is a huge adjustment for them and thankfully you have two to keep each other company. What type of bedding material is on the floor of the cage? I personally used paper towels and changed them frequently to keep them clean and easier to see what they poop out. You might also cover half of the cage with a dark cloth or towel so they can retreat to a safe spot if they wish. They grow fast and will be much more active in a week or two, will start weaning from the formula in 3-4 weeks. Let them have formula as long as they ask for it… it's called abundance weaning. They look good but know that birds are excellent at hiding illness. I would not offer any seed at this point, just formula and soft foods.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Sounds like they are healthy, just scared to death. Usually babies are pulled at 2-3 weeks, or at least handled a bit starting at 2-3 weeks so they aren't scared of people.
It's normal for them not to be begging, because they don't think of you as someone who feeds them yet. To them, you might a predator.
I would just try to go slow, spend time just sitting near them and talking to them, move slowly and handle them very carefully. You need to build some trust.
You might have better luck feeding them from a bent spoon, it's messier than a syringe, but feels more like being fed from a parent's beak. You might also try adding a bit of applesauce or babyfood carrots or sweet potatoes to the formula to make it taste extra good for them. You can also offer them soft foods to try on their own - they are old enough to nibble on food a bit, but probably not old enough to fully feed themselves.

Also weigh them as soon as you can - before feeding. Weigh them at least once a day, before feeding, to keep track of any weight loss. If they lose more than 10% or don't start to adapt and gain weight after a few days, then you should see a vet. A vet can always force feed them with a crop needle, but it's best if you can avoid this, as it does nothing to help gain their trust or teach them to eat on their own.