• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need to VENT! Penny is really doing the loud calls.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Yikes,

She's always been so good & not made excessive loud sounds.

2 days now she's in smoke alarm call mode. Just keeps doing it.

I'm trying to ignore it but I am also concerned someone is wrong with her.

I did go to Australia for 5 weeks & I'm thinking the bird sitter may have rewarded these calls
when I told her to just leave & don't talk to her or pay her attention when she was shrieking.

I know Penny must have been upset when I left & the bird sitter at first said the shrieking so so bad she had to leave. I fear she may have done the oooh whats wrong sweet voice when she did it & turned her into a monster.

I'm wearing earplugs but its very hard on my nerves as I am ultra sensitive to this sort of constant loud calls which she NEVER did in excess!!!!

I know they call more when I leave the room as they may be afraid I will leave again but I am in the room with them a few feet away.

I'm going to just leave the apartment to try to calm my nerves.

I need to squelch this asap as I won't be able to live with this as it takes all the joy out of life.

I know I have to ignore it & try to reward her for nice sounds & quiet...just not sure how long it will take & concerned she may have a problem or something. I have been watching her closely & she had a bit of watery poops in AM but its fine now.

Also vet wants her to really cut down on seed so I have been trying to give less & more pellets so she might be unhappy about that...??????

Arrghhh

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Does she talk? Maybe You can try rewarding the nicer sounds with loads of attention and make them more appealing to her than constant screaming! Good luck

Kodigirl210

Also try teaching her a tune by humming or another sound that I’ve taught both my CAG and GCCs is the finger snap/click sound (either using fingers or roof of the mouth and tongue) and that works as a great distraction noise to get them anyway from yelling or if they are whistling too loud. None of them have been able to make the click sound as loud as any of the other sounds they do.

And yes, she may be unhappy about the pellet situation. I don’t know which one you are feeding rn, but is it possible to get samples of others to see if there is something out there that tastes better. I now know that Harrison’s & Roudybush will send samples. Not sure on LaFeber or Hagen/Tropican. Another trick is to grind them and make birdie bread with the pellets. Or grind them and then make a warm mash with cooked veggies, water and the ground pellets.

Of course the last possibility is that she’s out of sorts with you for being gone so long. It may have not been a case of the sitter deliberately rewarding the behavior so much as not being able to stop her or reacting too much when she made noise (so unintentionally rewarding her.)

At any rate, sorry it’s been such a bummer in with your girl & sending positive thoughts that it’s much better very soon! :hug8:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Can you play some white music for her?

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Thanks...she seems to be ok now making her normal delightful sounds...

I just hate to think she is going to add the annoying sound to her long playing repetiore.

She knows some words & I do sing & whistle with her.

I just don;t know where this long fascination with this annoying sound came from & hope she does not continue it.

Most of her sounds are great except for this one...LOL

Kodigirl210

Trust me I feel you on that. Sif always make a long beeping sound every time I get warm mash ready for her.

She knows when I grab the specific bowl that it’s time and she will just keep repeating that same loud annoying beep.

I finally realized it was her version of the microwave “finished” beep so it’s unlikely I will ever get her to stop lol.

:bored:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
She did it a bit too much this AM...Its like a open wound & each sound cuts deeper. I had to muster all my strength to deal/ignore it making breakfast & its like a needle in my brain that drives me mad. Shes also getting me up with it too early. She never woke me before I left

I'm still trying to reward the nice & more pleasant sounds...

The sitter might have rewarded it as its really hard not to respond to it & response in the bird world mean...do it more for attention.

Also could be a hormonal thing as I have her just a year & did not have her early April.

I think the petshop might have said she was returned as she was too loud. Well it is unbearable but maybe its just a April hormonal thing..I hope.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Trust me I feel you on that. Sif always make a long beeping sound every time I get warm mash ready for her.

She knows when I grab the specific bowl that it’s time and she will just keep repeating that same loud annoying beep.

I finally realized it was her version of the microwave “finished” beep so it’s unlikely I will ever get her to stop lol.

:bored:

Penny even anticpates the micro beep & will do it when I close the micro door before I even put it on. Shes so smart but that sound does not bother me...You should hear the 2 REALLY loud sounds from a hawkhead!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I got Penny April 29th 2018 so almost one year & I was in negotiation for her in early April...

This vid might have the sound but I won;t listen to it hear as it might make her do it more...

Kodigirl210

I would survive it just to have her lol. My vet has a Hawkhead that unintentionally hitched a ride in from out of country. It had literally just passed when they got him to the vet & Dr J was able to revive him and kept him lol.

She sounds like a lovely girl and yes it is probably hormones driving her. Best to do to discourage that is blackout her cage completely and hope she sleeps at least 12 hours.

It seems with the turn of the seasons, the earlier the light the earlier they are up. My room is blacked out so my birbs will go back to sleep after I get ready and leave. They like to sleep until 730-8a. Since I get up around 4a there’s no real way for them to wake me up early lol.

Do sincerely wish you peace and quiet!
:)

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I love her & she is a sweet bird but its hard to love something that keeps pulling the scab off of a wound.

It might me hormones...still its not all day but it can go one for A WHILE. jUST MAKES MY HEART RACE & its hard for me to think or get things done.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I'll check on the vid.shows for me..maybe I have it private but you still should be able to access it thru the link.

Made it public

Last edited:

Kodigirl210

Your singing was quite lovely. And Penny makes the most darling trill ever!

But yes I can see your point as to the shrill, piercing call in the first vid, that could quite make your head ring after a while. I’m quite sorry that she’s been so unfavorable lately but hopefully just a bit longer and she’s done! :)

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Yikes,

She's always been so good & not made excessive loud sounds.

2 days now she's in smoke alarm call mode. Just keeps doing it.

I'm trying to ignore it but I am also concerned someone is wrong with her.

I did go to Australia for 5 weeks & I'm thinking the bird sitter may have rewarded these calls
when I told her to just leave & don't talk to her or pay her attention when she was shrieking.

I know Penny must have been upset when I left & the bird sitter at first said the shrieking so so bad she had to leave. I fear she may have done the oooh whats wrong sweet voice when she did it & turned her into a monster.

I'm wearing earplugs but its very hard on my nerves as I am ultra sensitive to this sort of constant loud calls which she NEVER did in excess!!!!

I know they call more when I leave the room as they may be afraid I will leave again but I am in the room with them a few feet away.

I'm going to just leave the apartment to try to calm my nerves.

I need to squelch this asap as I won't be able to live with this as it takes all the joy out of life.

I know I have to ignore it & try to reward her for nice sounds & quiet...just not sure how long it will take & concerned she may have a problem or something. I have been watching her closely & she had a bit of watery poops in AM but its fine now.

Also vet wants her to really cut down on seed so I have been trying to give less & more pellets so she might be unhappy about that...??????

Arrghhh

When I had my macaw, 2 cockatoo's and my amazon, they could RAISE the devil from his sleep! and
Putting on real soft music like Indian flutes, or even enya..calmed them down.
if you play music like twisted sister...yea you'll have screaming parrots!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
When I had my macaw, 2 cockatoo's and my amazon, they could RAISE the devil from his sleep! and
Putting on real soft music like Indian flutes, or even enya..calmed them down.
if you play music like twisted sister...yea you'll have screaming parrots!

We listen to classical music. They have the radio on all day.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
We listen to classical music. They have the radio on all day.

Funny how parrots actually have preference of music. My Zon likes Celine Dion, my grey and senny likes disco ( don't ask, the silly birds dances up a storm to it) or soft music. Classical is good too!

simon777

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
My thought is that while you were away a smoke alarm did go off near enough for her to have heard it and that she smelled smoke at that time. Anything from a wood fireplace to someone burning rubbish could cause her to alarm. Remember she is so intelligent that the smell of smoke/burning may cause her association with the alarm sound. When she makes that sound again you could ask her "does she smell smoke", you could also sniff the air while she is watching and say whether you smell smoke too. I don't think you should discourage her if there really is the smell of something burning.