• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need to train young tiels to not fly.

Anirudh30

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anirudh
Hi all, I have three 6 month old handfed cockatiels. They are tame and they do not bite. But the problem is, they won't sit in one place. They will fly, and will sit on random objects like ceiling lights, shelves, etc and won't come back, pooping there are chewing on items. This forces my mother to lock them in the cage most of the day, which I cannot bear to see. How do I train them to play around without flying? And how to potty train them?!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think it might be hard to keep them from flying completely, but you can lessen it by having some designated spaces around where they can fly to and hang out. Put various playstand around with enticing toys and treats. You can also hang some ropes or hanging playsets from the ceiling, because the higher the better. A Wingdow works well too, my birds love to sit and look out the window! Also, they might fly less as they get a bit older. As for poop, I wouldn't recommend potty training, because it can make them hold there poop too long if they feel it's not okay to go, which is unhealthy. Just put mats or sheets under the places they hang out in.

Last edited:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I totally agree with @Tiel Feathers ...fill the spaces you don't want want the birds to land on with objects (so they can't land there) and create spaces that they are welcome and safe to land on...

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The problem isn't the birds. The birds are doing what comes naturally to them. The problem is the environment. Make high places that are approved to play on - an oddball, boing, etc hanging from the ceiling is usually more enticing than a ceiling fan.

Potty training can cause stress and anxiety, as well as health issues like prolapses.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
you can train your bird to fly to designated places to poop and to perch at designated perches. You will never stop your birds flying around. Henry will sit on our shoulder for hours if we let him. Angel would sit on my chest for 30 minutes to an hour before she ventures back to the play gym or onto the floor.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The problem isn't the birds. The birds are doing what comes naturally to them. The problem is the environment. Make high places that are approved to play on - an oddball, boing, etc hanging from the ceiling is usually more enticing than a ceiling fan.

Potty training can cause stress and anxiety, as well as health issues like prolapses.

The problem isn't the birds. The problem is the environment you are providing. Or more precisely, the "lack" of proper environment. Improve the environment and both problems will disappear by themselves.

Potty training is extremely dangerous and should not be encouraged.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
The problem isn't the birds. The problem is the environment you are providing. Or more precisely, the "lack" of proper environment. Improve the environment and both problems will disappear by themselves.
Positive re-direction..."Come and land here, instead of there"...:)

❤ Rosette ❤

Meeting neighbors
Our Quaker parrot, Maui, usually tends to fly back to his cage and poop there when wanting to use the bathroom. Perhaps he feels more comfortable there?
He doesn't fly there every time he has to poo, though, by any means. Especially when he's in another room or doesn't feel like flying all the way to his cage.
I've heard that potty training is rather harmful for birds so I 'd recommend not attempting it.

We have a little play gym for our birds, we use it for Iris in particular when training. (Not potty training, but other tricks) It'd be a bit small for several birds, but it's attached to a smooth surface that is very easy to clean. I'd recommend buying some play gyms, or one large one, and attaching lots of different toys and perhaps some treat bowls in order to first entice them into the gym. If the base is smooth and easy to clean, that makes their pooping far less of a worry.

You mentioned they like chewing! Add some toys they can tear apart, with wood and other shreddable materials, and they should be far more interested in the gym than any other random spot in the house. After a while, they should sit and play on it without a second thought.
You can set up two medium/big play gyms for them to goof around on, so that they can fly to the other one if they're feeling bored at their current spot.​