• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need suggestions for bird safe space heater

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Winter is coming... It was in the 30's (Fahrenheit) last night!! Of course Dex and I got stuck with the room with no heating. We survived summer with spray bottles and fans, but I've just been informed that I won't be provided with a space heater this winter (I was loaned one for the night)... So I Need to buy my own. I'm looking to spend $50 so I can afford bird proofing (planning on buying PVC pipes. I'll be tripping all winter) after I get the heater. It's a small room with no windows and 3 doors. 1 is to a garage, another the main house, and the last one leads outdoors. Obviously it needs to be ptfe free, anything that Dex can't destroy or hurt himself on is a big plus as well.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've been using Lasko Ceramic Space Heater, and it is bird-safe. I've been using it for years, and I lucked out when I started looking for a replacement because I thought it was unsafe. I use it every night and it keeps the room nice and toasty. It costs about $30

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Before I got my radiator heater, I used Laskos. It was the only one that would assure me that there is no PTFE or PFOA in there heaters.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Before I got my radiator heater, I used Laskos. It was the only one that would assure me that there is no PTFE or PFOA in there heaters.
Does the radiator heater get hot? I'm thinking about getting one but I'd hate for Java to land on it and burn himself. I'm also pressed for space.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The radiator doesn't get hot-hot, but it does get hot enough to back them off. The one thing I don't like in comparison to a space heater is that it doesn't heat the area real fast like one that blows. I put my radiator near my air purifier and that helps spread the heat.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The radiator doesn't get hot-hot, but it does get hot enough to back them off. The one thing I don't like in comparison to a space heater is that it doesn't heat the area real fast like one that blows. I put my radiator near my air purifier and that helps spread the heat.
Do you think it would be safe to use around Java considering how clumsy he is?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
If you don't make it handy for him to get to.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Just curious of what brand of oil filled radiator heaters you personally use @MommyBird. Brand and where’d you purchase them? Thanx.
I have a very old Duracraft oil-filled I use daily. Don't even know if they make it anymore. Probably got it at Home Depot or Target.
About 2 yrs ago I got a Delonghi from Amazon as a back-up. Actually using it too the past few days during some plumbing/heating repairs.

Curt D.

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Curtis
I’ll check around for those brands. I had a ceramic heater I was using. It just started stinking every time I’d turn it on so I’m not going to use it this winter. Thankyou!

Meeting neighbors
I am looking into a bird-safe space heater. I emailed Lasko, and while they said their heaters don’t have Teflon, they mentioned that they could put out other fumes that could be harmful to birds. I also read reviews for the oil filled Delonghi radiator type heaters, and read that they can still give off fumes even after breaking them in by running them outside or in the garage for a day or two. And that they can leak. Does anyone have any suggestions on a bird-safe heater? Thanks in advance.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a very old Duracraft oil-filled I use daily. Don't even know if they make it anymore. Probably got it at Home Depot or Target.
About 2 yrs ago I got a Delonghi from Amazon as a back-up. Actually using it too the past few days during some plumbing/heating repairs.
We have 2 oil filled heaters too. I think we got it @ walmart or home depot. Not sure of brand but they get too hot to the touch, we got them pre-Buddy. Work great but he has to be supervised & we dont encourage flying when its on.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Over the years I’ve had many different brands of oil heaters and none of them have ever smelled nor leaked. I’m sure it is possible but I would guess it would be a very low possibility.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I also read reviews for the oil filled Delonghi radiator type heaters, and read that they can still give off fumes even after breaking them in by running them outside or in the garage for a day or two. And that they can leak. Does anyone have any suggestions on a bird-safe heater? Thanks in advance.
I have used the Delonghi brand for years and have never experienced any problems with smell or leaking.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I just realized today that I need to get a new space heater. Is there any specific model of Delonghi that you guys would recommend? I was looking at their Dragon4 oil line at the $90 price point. That's a lot more than I normally would spend on a space heater, but if they're bird safe, I'd rather not deal with Lasko etc. Plus, it probably works better than the cheapies. It gets really cold here some winters and my apartment is old and drafty.