• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need some Opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
In the wake of Mr. Pigglesworth's death, I'm finding that while I'm struggling with grief and dealing with the day-to-day interactions that require me to adjust, I have been blind to the fact that my other birds have also been suffering from grief. While I've been trying to spend my time in the bird room and NOT look at the floor where he used to scuttle, or his favorite perch on the tree, I also haven't been looking or paying any attention to the dynamics in my flock. And with his loss, they most certainly have changed.

I was reading and enjoying some peace in the bird room (almost sound like an oxymoron, doesn't it?), I became very aware of Calypso. As Akira likes her, but has never really bonded with it, I noticed now that she was clinging to the top of Elvis' cage. She seemed almost desperate to bond with him, and was climbing all over his cage, looking for a way in. When I opened the cage door, she hopped right in, found a perch near him, and settled down. Of course, Elvis was NOT thrilled about this intruder, he chirped to her and made his angry lovie noises, but left her alone. When it was time to put the birds to bed, Calypso wouldn't go anywhere NEAR her cage. This has been an issue since Piggy passed, and in lieu of toweling her, I shooed her on to the treestand and allowed her to settle there before I turned off the lights for the evening.

When I woke up this morning, I was horrified at what I found. Calypso had squeezed herself THROUGH the cage bars on Archie's cage, and was IN his cage sleeping! :omg:

There have been a few nights where I have left her out overnight because I couldn't get her to go back in her cage, and she generally has wanted to sleep on the tree. But then, Piggy was usually with her, and so I allowed it as in the morning they would be snuggled up together on the perch, and the bar-spacing on every other cage was safe for them to not be able to get through. I had thought Archie's current cage was also safe as I had measured it, but there is a gap that is slightly wider where the middle door (a piece that folds down like the porches you see on some cages, but its braced), and I'm sure that is where she squeezed through. To make matters worse, when I flicked on the lights this morning and went into feed, Archie noticed her, and began to chase her around the cage. And for a few moments, she opened her beak and squawked right back at him and stood up to him before she flew off! :omg:

It was a chore to chase her out of his cage, and then of course I toweled her and checked for wounds (there were none), and then put her back into her regular cage. But this was the catalyst to the realization. Calypso has been following Archie, Ella, Akira, and Elvis everywhere. Ever since she lost her Pig (whom I never thought she was really fond of, but apparently I was wrong), she has been trying to bond with my other birds. She incessantly pesters Archie now, trying to preen his tail feathers, and his head :eek: He is having NONE of it! And now he chases her.

I'm so worried. Even if I just have her out in the bird room for some playtime, now I'm worried that she'll be squeezing into Archie's cage despite my attempts! I generally supervise when the birds are out of their cages, but with the little birds, I let them out on Mondays to have free roam of the bird room because Paul is home all day and would be alerted if he heard a scuffle going on, and he checks on them. Clearly, this is no longer an option. I fear for her safety. I have asked Paul about getting another budgie friend for her, to which he promptly replied: "NO."
I'm scared that if she's going to be constantly trying to get in with Archie, or worse, ELLA, that she is eventually going to get hurt :(\

What should I do?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I have asked Paul about getting another budgie friend for her, to which he promptly replied: "NO."
Smack Paul upside the head and tell him to get with the program. He doesn't have a valid reason to say no. JMO

Adding another "may not" fix the problem if that bird decides to like one of the others but budgies are so sociable it should be fine.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah, John's right. The birdy needs a new friend. After Mattie died, Max grieved and began plucking out his feathers again. Sometimes, their emotional needs have to be met, just like any other aspect of care.

I can't imagine why hubby would object :confused:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
It is not really like your flock will be growing. You lost one and are adding one so will still be at the same number :) Budgies are very much flock birds and it sounds like Calypso needs a buddy.

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I agree that she could get hurt by trying to be "friends" with the other birds....explain to Paul what is going on and why it might help her and keep her safe....Course you are going to have to QT the new bird...and find a good place to get him/her from....or see if someone needs to RE HOME one...that would be wonderful!
Just be on guard now in the mean time...:hug8:

zoomama

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I'm sorry this is happening, Natalie...how scary! This might be a silly idea, but could you attach a few stuffed animals to the tree...do you think she might snuggle up with one of them as her new friend?

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki

Smack Paul upside the head and tell him to get with the program. He doesn't have a valid reason to say no. JMO

Adding another "may not" fix the problem if that bird decides to like one of the others but budgies are so sociable it should be fine.
I agree with John. I would explain to Paul that it is what she "needs" not what you "want". It is necessary, not a luxury.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Paul's argument is that if she "needs" a friend and that I'm worried about her safety, then I should surrender her to someone who has another budgie that she can be friends with. We know of someone that would gladly take Calypso in...but I just don't like the idea of rehoming her because he says we can't have another bird! :eek:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It's easier to say sorry after the fact then to try and plead for approval up front. Just sayin' :D

If there is a wonderful home where she can get that companionship then that is a very viable option. As long as the bird gets what it needs is all I would be concerned about.

Last edited:

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
It's easier to say sorry after the fact then to try and plead for approval up front. Just sayin' :D
That would be how I got Calypso home in the first place! :D The people were threatening to let her loose outside since the pet place wasn't going to take her back :mad: I wasn't about to let that happen to the poor girl.

I have some options to weigh over...

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
I just wanted to say I am so sorry you are going through this. I know what it is like to lose a feathered family member.

I lost an Eclectus to lead poisoning years ago. He was very bonded with his mate, Lucy. I got another Eclectus for her, my Oliver. She wants nothing to do with him - nothing at all. I don't regret having Oliver - I love him to pieces - but there is no guarantee that a new buddy will prove to be a comfort to Calypso. Like humans, I believe birds pick their mates. It's worth a try, though, but just remember there is no guarantee that they will bond.

How does Archie feel about Calypso?

My GCC continually did this with my caique. Eventually, I just gave in and allowed them to live together. You cannot get a piece of paper between the two of them - they are that bonded. The only reason I bring this up is because perhaps Archie will accept Calypso?

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I just wanted to say I am so sorry you are going through this. I know what it is like to lose a feathered family member.

I lost an Eclectus to lead poisoning years ago. He was very bonded with his mate, Lucy. I got another Eclectus for her, my Oliver. She wants nothing to do with him - nothing at all. I don't regret having Oliver - I love him to pieces - but there is no guarantee that a new buddy will prove to be a comfort to Calypso. Like humans, I believe birds pick their mates. It's worth a try, though, but just remember there is no guarantee that they will bond.

How does Archie feel about Calypso?

My GCC continually did this with my caique. Eventually, I just gave in and allowed them to live together. You cannot get a piece of paper between the two of them - they are that bonded. The only reason I bring this up is because perhaps Archie will accept Calypso?

This is also my concern, I know there is a chance that they won't bond. Archie I don't think will warm up to Calypso...normally, he's my laidback guy. He and Ella had a few "ruffled feather" moments when we were first introducing them, but now they are great friends and LOVE to be together when they are out of the cage. With Calypso, the response seems to be "open beak and chase away". He seems annoyed by her constant picking at him (always trying to preen his tail, or trying to preen his head, he chases her, she flies a lap around the room and lands next to him again, etc). If anything, their relationship has gotten WORSE. I remember where Calypso would be able to sit next to Archie on a perch and he wouldn't pay much attention to her, but now she is actively seeking his attention.

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Paul's argument is that if she "needs" a friend and that I'm worried about her safety, then I should surrender her to someone who has another budgie that she can be friends with. We know of someone that would gladly take Calypso in...but I just don't like the idea of rehoming her because he says we can't have another bird! :eek:
I'm sorry to hear she's having a rough time with the loss of Piggy.:(
Is this home you know of one you'd feel totally comfortable with her going to?
Maybe you need to look at is as you're not re-homing her because you can't get another bird but to keep her safe.
Is this other budgie a male or female?
From my experience with my own little budgie flock I think if she was to go to a home with only one other budgie those 2 will have a far better chance of bonding then you bringing in another one who has the rest of your flock to try and find a best friend in.
I really am sorry you are going through this. Lefty is still having a hard time with the loss of his Betty. And that's with sharing a cage with 2 other tiels.
:hug8:

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Gosh, I don't know :( She has tiels and budgies and I know she is VERY knowledgeable about birds. I don't doubt that Calypso would have a good home there. But I already lost one budgie...I don't want to lose another :sad1:

I'm mulling over a plan...don't want to reveal too much of it right now, because I'm not sure how much the person it involves wants to let known to the public just yet, and I haven't made a final decision.

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
natalie don't give her up if you won't have peace of mind.Maybe you can work on your husband.Sorry you are going through this right now.:hug8::hug8:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Gosh, I don't know :( She has tiels and budgies and I know she is VERY knowledgeable about birds. I don't doubt that Calypso would have a good home there. But I already lost one budgie...I don't want to lose another :sad1:

I'm mulling over a plan...don't want to reveal too much of it right now, because I'm not sure how much the person it involves wants to let known to the public just yet, and I haven't made a final decision.

Natalie,

You do not have to and shouldn't give up Calypso. I am sure she will do just fine at your home if you can't get her another bird, which I think is the best option in this case. In my experience, with many, many budgies they just don't have too much of a problem getting along with another budgie. :hug8:

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Its a tough decision, but I know in the end you and Paul will make the best decision for Calypso. Stay Strong.

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan

Well if she'd be going to another multi-bird home I'd say just to keep her then. Because she wouldn't be guaranteed a friend there either.
Good Luck with whatever you decide.:hug8:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope you find a solution were you and her are both happy :hug8:

Kermit

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jacque
i went through something similar with a pair of finches i have. Emerald and Periodot were my pair of society finches and just before thanksgiving Emerald died from what i believe was egg binding and left Peridot alone...there are other finches in the cage with him but no other societys(i have a pair of each so everyone has a buddy)...he was so sad and grief stricken he wouldn't sing and how i love his song, so a couple weeks ago i went out and bought him a new lady friend a light caramel society i named Amber and it was love at first sight...i know i got lucky as they could of hated each other but i'm glad their both happy and love that Periodot is singing again

so i hope you find the solution wether it be keeping calypso by herself, getting her a new friend and hopefully they get along or as a last resort finding her somewhere you think she'd be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.