• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need information on canary winged parakeet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hillybean

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hilary
Hello,
so I went to a pet shop tonight and they had canary winged parakeets. I had never heard of them before, but one caught my eye. Pet shop has no information on these individuals bird, but do have a care sheet on the species. I did not hold them..

My main question that I need to know is are they loud??

My parents own a Jenday Conure and African Grey parrots. I have also hand raised several conures, quakers, cockatiels and keets when I was younger.

Right now we live in an apartment, so noise is a concern.

If they are loud, is there another bird you could recommend? I am a stay at home mother, and I am wanting a companion...

Thank You!

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Awesome little birds! They can be a little loud and can be territorial, but are very sweet little birds!

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Welcome to the forum, Hilary. I don't have any experience with them, but I have heard from others that their screams are quite shrilling, I guess it really depends on the bird though on how often they scream.

Usually I would recommend either a Cockatiel or Conure. I know you raised them before, but would you consider giving one a home with you for good?

Hillybean

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hilary
Yes, that is exactly what I am looking into now. Unfortunately, the only local hand raised cockatiel currently available in my area is a female. I do not have luck with female cockatiels. I have had many become egg bound.

We have found someone with a female parrotlet, a little bit of a drive from us. I hope to go look at her next week.

I use to have a female lovebird and she did NOT have issues with eggs.

Thank You!

Now the only issue is finding a bird sitter, for when we visit family. Our families are 5-6 hrs away (one way), and one side likes birds, but the other is not a fan of any animals...so there lies a new issue. :confused:

The cage has been order, found it at a really good deal too :)..very roomy!

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Hi Hilary.. :welcome: to the avenue. :smileflower:

Mitchan

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome!

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I have a canary winged and he can be loud...he makes one sound that sounds like a machine fun! Probably not the best for an apartment...but he is amazing!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Welcome!:)

SunUp

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
If they are loud, is there another bird you could recommend? I am a stay at home mother, and I am wanting a companion...

Thank You!
My male lovebird is a great companion. Sweet, affectionate, not loud. I got him from a lady who took a lot of care raising her babies, so he was very tame. I also got to let him "pick" me, as there were a bunch of babies available, and he was the one who came to me. If you can find a good lovie breeder, I'd suggest a male lovebird.

teagal

Moving in
Awesome little birds! They can be a little loud and can be territorial, but are very sweet little birds!
Hi Kathie! This is Cathy from Bradenton -- your new p'let customer. I'm getting a canary winged parakeet June 9th.
Can he/she eat the volman science parrotlet food? Thanks and I'm getting a big order ready and will send as soon as you get more volkman
:dance4:

Status
Not open for further replies.