• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Need help

iswarya

Checking out the neighborhood
hi I am from india(madras). I bought a cockatiel from local pet shop . the vendor say its a male one and nearly 5 month old . in home it looks scared and he always sleep on the cage corner . he used to eat mixed seeds and drinks water . but it seems in his body stomach area seems puffed always and sleeps more and I feel its in active . can u plz help me wht I can do

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. How long have you had him? How are his droppings? Is he eating at all? Can you get him to a vet?

@Birdbabe ? @blewin ?

Last edited:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hi! The first thing is, he will be very scared in a new place. He may be puffed up because he is scared, nervous, or not feeling well. A wellness check is always good with a new bird. Offer him his regular diet,,you can always transition later. Cockatiels will drink water when thirsty, I noticed my own don't drink that much either, in my opinion, but they are ok. Try to cover the top and two sides of his cage so he feels a little safe. Talk softly to him, don't force yourself on him right now, he will need time and patience to adjust to his new home. Put a night light in his room so it's not completely dark , move slowly and quietly around him, don't stare at him..as far as he's concerned, your a threat right now and want to eat him. Time, patience honey, we are here..and congratulations on your new baby!