• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need help on bird's food and other stuff

Lovemybudgies4

Strolling the yard
Hi everyone,
Hope y'all are fine as well as your feather friends. Yes, I've been busy with my work and all everyday routine. Have been thinking about to give my birds healthy food like sprouting seeds and came up with this ladygouldianfinch.com - Sprout Seed Blend Has anyone ever used that product? Like/dislike this sprouting seeds? Wanted to know do you use KD Powder or Aviclens to clean the sprouting water? Do I really need any of those because they stated that both of those products needs to be used during sprouting the seeds to clean the water? Also can I give them these sprouting seeds even if they aren't molting or breeding etc?

While I was searching on sprouting seeds, I've read on other bird forum about sprouting seeds and they recommend sprouting bottle or trays from this site: The Grooviest Sprouting Seeds on Our Planet! Do you also recommend this site or sprouting seed's trays or mansion jars or anyother stuff to use for sprouting seeds? Do you suggest any sprouting seeds or beans etc from sproutpeople site?

Last question I've been trying to search a good affordable heating lamps for my birds for coming fall/spring season and wants to know beforehand so during that season if they can't go outside for sunlight because of cold or bad weather then they still be good inside having heating lamp. What are your recommendations and bird safe? Looks like this is for big birds not budgies? Amazon.com: Zoo Med AvianSun Deluxe Floor Pet Lamp: Pet Supplies
What about this? https://www.amazon.com/FeatherBrite-20-Watt-Full-Spectrum-Bulb/dp/B015NGC1NO/ref=pd_sim_199_6?
_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B015NGC1NO&pd_rd_r=RZ2TPYWYMNKDQ8QYDHSS&pd_rd_w=hsHa1&pd_rd_wg=c8mS6&psc=1&refRID=RZ2TPYWYMNKDQ8QYDHSS

Also what heating pads do you recommend for sick birds as I've always other bird owners saying about this but I don't know what it looks like or what kind of heating pads are bird safe? I think heating pad is more important and I should have that first before heating lamps etc. Sorry for long post but trying to get hands on their important stuff that I should have when they get sick or get injured etc. Thank you so much for your time to read all this and helping me out on this. :)

Lovemybudgies4

Strolling the yard
While I was reading the other thread on this forum about heating lamps I find out heating lamps absorbs all the moisture from the air and said we should have humidfiers during cold season? Well also I meant to ask suggestions/recommendations for the lamp for UV rays in case if my birds can't go out for sunlight because of bad weather conditions etc not exactly the heating lamps. I'm still doing some research on that on my part. :)

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:bump4:

Lovemybudgies4

Strolling the yard
Thanks as I was wondering why I've still not get any help/suggestions from others. :)

Lovemybudgies4

Strolling the yard
Does anyone tried/gives Harrison's Bird Bread treat to their budgies? Was thinking to give it a try but not sure if its easier for them to eat? Also which nutri-berries do you like to give to your budgies as treats? Caged bird treats; Lafeber's Original Nutri-berries for parakeets Cage bird treats; Lafeber's Tropical Fruit Nutri-berries for Parakeets, Cockatiels Read on one of the facebook budgie's group that the member said its very hard to break and eat for her budgies and she didn't liked it. What's your thoughts on this? Thanks all in advance. :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
While I was searching on sprouting seeds, I've read on other bird forum about sprouting seeds and they recommend sprouting bottle or trays from this site: The Grooviest Sprouting Seeds on Our Planet! Do you also recommend this site or sprouting seed's trays or mansion jars or anyother stuff to use for sprouting seeds? Do you suggest any sprouting seeds or beans etc from sproutpeople site?
There are several members here who use their sprouting mixes, and are very pleased.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Hope y'all are fine as well as your feather friends. Yes, I've been busy with my work and all everyday routine. Have been thinking about to give my birds healthy food like sprouting seeds and came up with this ladygouldianfinch.com - Sprout Seed Blend Has anyone ever used that product? Like/dislike this sprouting seeds? Wanted to know do you use KD Powder or Aviclens to clean the sprouting water? Do I really need any of those because they stated that both of those products needs to be used during sprouting the seeds to clean the water? Also can I give them these sprouting seeds even if they aren't molting or breeding etc?
No experience with this sprout blend. I currently use China Prairie, although I buy in bulk. They do have added vitamins and a cleanser you are supposed to add to the sprouts, but I don't really use that stuff... I mean, I just rinse and soak the seeds for 8+ hours, then rinse 2-3 times a day until they are ready to feed. I don't add anything to the water, and I don't believe that GSE is safe to use.

I'm not sure I'd trust KD Powder without knowing the ingredients.

The Avicleans may be okay? I remember using it as a cleaning agent when I worked at a K9 kennel. (police or military dogs - not pet dogs!) Beyond that, not really familiar with it.

You could use citric acid or vinegar (white/apple) as well if you really wanted to.

I've heard great things about the Easy Sprout Sprouter, although I've never used one. I was previously using sprouting jars (latest ones once again from China Prairie with wire mesh lids) but am currently trying a different method of soaking seeds in a large stainless steel bowl, then storing and rinsing in a wire mesh strainer.

Last question I've been trying to search a good affordable heating lamps for my birds for coming fall/spring season and wants to know beforehand so during that season if they can't go outside for sunlight because of cold or bad weather then they still be good inside having heating lamp. What are your recommendations and bird safe? Looks like this is for big birds not budgies? Amazon.com: Zoo Med AvianSun Deluxe Floor Pet Lamp: Pet Supplies
What about this? https://www.amazon.com/FeatherBrite-20-Watt-Full-Spectrum-Bulb/dp/B015NGC1NO/ref=pd_sim_199_6?
_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B015NGC1NO&pd_rd_r=RZ2TPYWYMNKDQ8QYDHSS&pd_rd_w=hsHa1&pd_rd_wg=c8mS6&psc=1&refRID=RZ2TPYWYMNKDQ8QYDHSS

Avoid the Zoomed bulb. It is quite literally a rebranded reptile bulb and they really aren't safe for birds - at least not during the burn in period and potentially afterwards.

The Featherbrite should be fine though! :)

Also what heating pads do you recommend for sick birds as I've always other bird owners saying about this but I don't know what it looks like or what kind of heating pads are bird safe? I think heating pad is more important and I should have that first before heating lamps etc. Sorry for long post but trying to get hands on their important stuff that I should have when they get sick or get injured etc. Thank you so much for your time to read all this and helping me out on this. :)
You can just get a heating pad for humans and figure out how to adjust it to best suit a sick bird. I've mostly just used heat lamps though, with ceramic bulbs, for extra heat.

SamandWilley

Walking the driveway
Real Name
DeAnna
I have not tried the seed mixes from the Sprout people but I have sprouted other seeds. Mine seem to like some seeds sprouted - but only when soaked over night. I usually put them in a metal strainer the next morning and then refrigerate as soon as I get home from work that day. I can't get them to eat seeds that have been sprouted long enough to visibly show any growth. :mad2: I don't know why.

I keep trying different ways to sprout, and different seed blends. Variety is the spice of life!! One of my next projects is to see if they will eat sprouted grass greens.

As far as the cleanser - I am with Monica. I don't know if GSE is safe, and I have never read anything scientific that says that it really works. Mostly, from what I have read, the GSE is mixed with a disinfectant. Keep the sprouts rinsed and give them good air circulation and they should be fine.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I wonder if you could use a seedling heat mat for underthe cage?
I have 2 & the best are Hydro farm (not too expensive ones) & you can even get a thermostat to plug into it but they raise the temp 10 to 20 degress so its not much but if the room is 70 you could get 80/90' even at 80 degree room which is hot it would be 90 to 100 but don't think it would actually get to 100. I just would not feel comfortable with a human heating pad & who knows hot hot they get.
They don't get too hot & are thin & icased in heavy plastic or rubber.

Well just thinking about it as I have them.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Bird bread is a great tool. When my birds go on a pellet strike, I feed it daily. If they are eating their pellets more, I don't bother as much because it's expensive. It makes a great treat though!

Nutriberries are hit or miss. My quakers finally like them, but they weren't a hit with my conure or my mother in laws cockatiel. They shouldn't be super hard though if they are fresh.

I use the Easy Sprouter, works well. I don't rinse with anything but water and occasionally some apple cider vinegar. I like this mix: Sprouting Seeds Broccoli and Friends 1 Pound Broccoli Seed, Crimson Clover Seed, Red Radish Seed, Alfalfa Seed: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food