• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need help finding a new cage

clicketty

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ashlyn
Rin was supposed to get a new cage on Christmas, a big King's Cage right here. However, they've been out of stock for who knows how long and said that they would get a new batch in after the first of January. That's it, that's all we've heard despite emailing them after the first. I'll try calling them on Monday.

However, I've been doing research and found that after they switched to manufacturers in China, their quality has dropped especially for their powder coated model (the one I want). I've seen rust, weak bars, and peeling paint. Yikes.

I've done some searching and all I've found was this dometop from HQ, but I'm not in love with it. I've also heard some bad reviews on A&E. I've looked at countless reviews of all the different types of cage companies but I've never found anything that fits both my needs, price range, and quality expectations.

It's been months of searching for a good cage and I can't find anything that I feel safe introducing Rin to. Getting a new cage was fun at first, but now it is just stressful picking through every website trying to find a quality cage. Rin was supposed to be in a big flight cage a long time ago but things are just not in our favor.

I'm sorry if I seem frustrated... But if there is anyone who can give me a recent review of a good cage company or recommend a cage to me that is around the same size and style as the King's Cage I would be beyond grateful.

Even if someone could tell me what the best cage material is (stainless steel, aluminum, powder coated, etc.) so I can narrow down my search, it would be a huge help. Thank you so much.

Last edited:

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Sorry your search is going not the best. Keep in mind most every brand will have positives and negatives.
Have you considered the standard 32x21 flights that A&E makes? HQ also sells them, just with double doors instead.
They aren't in the exact style as the Kings cage you wanted, but are a great all around cage.
If you want a larger cage, the You and Me cage by Petco is great. They are deeper(about 30inches) so usually can't fit through standard doorways.
Stainless steel is the best you can buy, but the price is much higher then powder coated cages.
I hope you find the right cage. :)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Both A&E and HQ make flight cages similar to the kings cage.

Amillio

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Petco is having a big cage sale right now. I have two hq cages and I absolutely love them.

Last edited:

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
What about the Prevue Hendyx flight cage? The F040 and F050 are both great. I can give you a link if you are interested. :)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
The kings cage you posted a link to is available on amazon for 199.00.

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
I love my HQ flight cages!! 32Lx21Wx34H. I currently have 3 of them and looking at getting a double flight for my budgies with part of our tax returns. I will be using the divider though to prevent any further clutches but I still want my flock of budgies to interact and remain a flock. I have one female who insists on mating/laying so she need to be separated. The boys (3) will be on one side of the divide with the girls (2) on the other side. They will continue to have playtime outside of their house together. Moving them into a double flight will allow my P'let Blu to have s his own single flight. The other 3 flight I currently have belong to Orly (YSGCC) and Pickles & Kenzie (love birds) and the budgies. I use the flat tops for added play areas too

clicketty

Real Name
Ashlyn
The kings cage you posted a link to is available on amazon for 199.00.

I'm so glad that you pointed that out, it definitely adds int the mix. However, I'm still wary of their powder coated cages. The review that really shocked me was this one here
On a more style-based note, the cage does not come in white. I can buy the silver and grey as a last resort, but Kings Cages told me they would have white models after the first. I was really counting on that but I can put that aside...

clicketty

Real Name
Ashlyn
Alright friends, I've found this. Looks nice (especially how I imagine it would be in white), a bit bigger than the one from King's Cages, and the playtop is gorgeous. Powder coated. I think I really like this one here.

A&E cage owners, what do you think of their products?

Last edited:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
You didn't include a picture.

I have an A&E corner cage. I really like it.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I have a similar designed cage in a much cheaper version and I and Lurch really like it. That cage should be built much nicer and stronger then mine but will be like a HUGE palace for Rin. Lurch is a Maxi and compared to his old tiny 18x18 old school cage it's huge, but maybe still small for him but he has so much more room and it's super easy to clean and change out the food and water, and the playtop he loves and it keeps him from pooping in the food and water dishes inside the main cage which trust me for him is a huge plus.
I think if it's in your budget for your lil guy that would be a great home.

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
Alright friends, I've found this. Looks nice (especially how I imagine it would be in white), a bit bigger than the one from King's Cages, and the playtop is gorgeous. Powder coated. I think I really like this one here.

Great cage but what's the bar spacing? I didn't see it noted in the description......

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
If it's like mine it should be about 3/4" spacing but at least Petco doesn't list it, maybe Amazon or their direct site does.

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I like a&e cages,,, we have quite a few, including our first 20x30 which is probably 7 years old now, no rust or chips.

You mentioned kings 'right here'... are you in jersey area?

Check out ebay for a&e too, they sell / ship direct from their Burlington warehouse usually pretty cheap. A standard 20x30 is usually $115 shipped.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I have an HQ flight that's around 6 years old - it's a great cage and still in perfect condition. Good size for a budgie too.
I know some people here like the Prevue flight cages, too. They're not quite as sturdy as the HQ ones, but fine for a budgie, and you get a little more space for the money.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Kings makes aluminum cages which are really nice, light weight and easily cleaned. The cost is a bit more than others but in the long run its really worth it.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Unfortunately all cage brands have gone down in quality. King's is not special in that regard. If you like the King's cage style, check out the A&E Elegant Flight cage. It has the added bonus of swing-out feeder doors, which I personally can't live without. I can't link to it on my phone right now, but you can just plunk that into the Google search engine. I would also recommend the Avian Adventures Loro Flight Cage if you insist on having a white cage.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Just a word of warning, this cage has 5/8" bar spacing. Not sure if that's too big for a budgie or not.