• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need advice on making a canary aviary

aria_prime

Checking out the neighborhood
I have the opportunity to set up an aviary in my backyard. The aviary would be about 9ft long x 6 ft wide x 6 ft tall. I might possibly be able to make it bigger but not sure yet.

I currently have 3 male canaries indoors (all in separate cages). I would like to keep one canary inside and put the two others outside. I don't want to get a lot more canaries at the moment, but I am worried that simply 2 male canaries in one aviary could cause them to fight since they would only have one target--each other. So how can I make this work?

I have seen an all male canary aviary before, but there were a lot of birds inside and the aviary was small. So I am wondering these things:
- can i have just the 2 male canaries in the large aviary, or will they fight?
- if they will fight, should I make the aviary an all male aviary and get more males, or make it mixed gender?
- if I make it all male, how many males do I need so that they dont fight each other?
- if i make it mixed gender, how many males and females do I need for them to not fight?

I would really love to make this work. I do have plans in the far future to have a mixed aviary with finches and canaries, but at the moment I don't want to be spending thousands of dollars buying finches. I just want to keep it simple with some canaries until I have more money. But if I can only keep one single male in that large aviary, it won't justify the cost of buying/building the aviary. So I'd like some opinions and advice because I DO know this is possible, I have seen many canary aviaries before, but this is my first time setting one up myself so I need some advice. My preferance would be to have an all male aviary but I would like to know how easy that is to do.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I believe 2 will fight. My mother has canaries and keeps them in separate cages. I found these online which may help you.
Screenshot_20230617-172657_Google.jpg Screenshot_20230617-172627_Google.jpg