• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need Advice!! My IRN is mounting my Sun Conure??

Gypsy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
I'll do my best @Gypsy

In one of your examples, you used a hyacinth x blue and gold macaw. Taxonomically, a hyacinth is:

Order: Psittaciformes
Superfamily: Psittacoidea
Family: Psittacidae
Subfamily: Arinae
Tribe: Arini
Genus: Anodorhynchus
Species: A. hyacinthinus
Binomial name: Anodorhynchus hyacinthinus

A blue and gold is:

Genus: Ara
Species: A. ararauna
Binomial name: Ara ararauna

Now, they are both still MACAWS, even though their genus is separated. The Subfamily Arinae refers to Neotropical parrots from South America. Within this Subfamily is also the conures. A sun conure is, for example:

Genus: Aratinga
Species: A. solstitialis
Binomial name: Aratinga solstitialis

So see how a hyacinth and a sun conure are both only one small step away from each other (separated by genus). Let's now look at an Indian Ringneck:

Family: Psittaculidae
Subfamily: Psittaculinae
Tribe: Psittaculini
Genus: Psittacula
Species: P. krameri
Binomial name: Psittacula krameri

The Ringnecks split off on the parrot family tree starting at Family. That is 4 steps removed from the sun conure, where the hyacinth and blue and gold are just one step removed.

This is true of other animals if you look, with some even closer related. Tigers x Lion are only separated at the species level (they are both from the Genus Panthera; Lion is Panthera leo, a tiger is Panthera tigris.) A zebra is Equus zebra while a Horse is Equus ferus. A dog is Canis lupus familiaris while a wolf is Canis lupus.

So, a sun conure and indian ringneck are simply not related close enough to be able to hybridize. A conure and a ringnneck are as closely related as you are to these gibbons:

I am sorry but that doesn't mean anything to me. To me, a bird is a bird, just like cats are the same as well as dogs. What is there physically which will prevent it? As I said genetics I did not understand.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I am sorry but that doesn't mean anything to me. To me, a bird is a bird, just like cats are the same as well as dogs. What is there physically which will prevent it? As I said genetics I did not understand.
I'm sorry but you are going to have to do some independent googling on that. It has to do with the chromosomes, proteins, etc. Here is one article that tries to break it down a bit. The science and magic of hybrid animals | How Animals Do It

Gypsy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
  1. I'm sorry but you are going to have to do some independent googling on that. It has to do with the chromosomes, proteins, etc. Here is one article that tries to break it down a bit. The science and magic of hybrid animals | How Animals Do It
I can understand this article much better than all the Latin and family tree info because it is more detailed. Why certain animals are classified into categories doesn't tell me why. I must be related to the Neanderthals. :D Thank you Mizzely for going the extra mile for the explanation and link. I really hated science in high school and did poorly in it.

Last edited:

DancingFeathers

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
@Gypsy Actually, it is believed that several people still do contain genes from Neanderthals, about 20%, however, most if not all of the X sex linked genes are gone. Humans and Neanderthals could hybridize, and did, but the result did lead to male infertility.

Last edited:

Gypsy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
My relationship to the Neanderthal was a joke because I couldn't understand genetics. lol.

Katyo91

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for all of this helpful feedback! I have no concerns of hybridization b/c its definitely not possible but just for curiosity's sake i'm probably going to get Pico DNA sexed soon! :rolleyes: I haven't seen too much aggression this week...sometimes Beaker flies after Pico which concerns me a little b/c Pico isnt the greatest flier. but most of the time they just love on each other, regurg, and go back their separate ways. I haven't seen food/waterbowl defending from either one. And Beaker has surprisingly been allowing me to scratch his head and belly a little when he's displaying at Pico when before he never let me touch him. :wideyed:. Maybe he's just hypnotized by Pico's good looks :lol: well, I'm still thinking I might separate them though in the future. For now, it doesnt seem like a huge issue I guess and it sounds normal from the majority of you guys. So thanks bc these are my first parrots and I want to be doing everything right!

BradG

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Brad
Oh, my :lol: That would be an interesting video :geek:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Some odd hybrids......

Rainbow Lorikeet x King Parrot
Rosella x Kakariki
Rosella (x) x Australian Ringneck
Conure x Amazon
Cockatiel x Cockatoo

There are some odd hybrids out there...... although I agree, these two probably could not hybridize. Me, personally, I'd probably want to try and prevent the behavior as excess hormones can lead to aggression. If a bird is not receptive to the advances of another bird, this can result in sexual frustration which can also lead to aggression.